gibonez

Biggest problems in Dayz fixed with one simple solution

Currently the biggest problems in Dayz are.

1. Server hoppers

2. Ghosters

3. Combat Disconnectors

All three of these are the result of a global character location system where disconnecting and joining a new server results in you getting the same location .

This leads to people disconnecting in combat , only to relocate in a new server and spawning behind you and getting the jump on you.

It leads to people jumping from server to server looting military loot.

It leads to a lack of community in each server since each server has no identity but is merely a pawn in what is a global dayz server network.

What I propose is that the master server keep track of your characters items, health , control loot and vehicle spawns. However character location should not be tied to a master server and then transfer over to each server.

Each individual server should contain the server location for each player. This location does not transfer over to multiple servers just like tents and vehicle locations do not.

If you spawn in a new server you are spawned at the coast with the same character and kit that you had when you disconnected the last time.

This would immediately end all of the aforementioned problems. No more ghosters, no more people exploiting the system to be fully kitted out in a manner of minutes, no more combat disconnecting. It would add to the game and also build individual communities in each server with their own ecosystem and experiences.

Having a global server location has not worked thus far. It has far more negatives than positives.

Horrible idea for combat loggers, they would rather keep their gear and have to walk back to town then die, so they will still just alt-f4. And people will exploit it to loot farm. (They will have characters spread out all throughout Chernarus's different towns)

Let the camping of the coasts begin.

People tend to stay on a specific server. Server I play in has 15 to 20 regulars.

people spawning in the coast fully kitted would be pretty rare.

The benefits would far outweight the negatives.

Literally the worst suggestion I've heard to date for this problem.

Not everyone stays on one server. Teams do more than anyone but there are a lot more loners and trying to find a good server can be tricky. What would happen to someone who leaves one server, spawns on the coast of a new server with all the gear, then goes back to the first server? Does he spawn on the coast or where he was when he first dc'd? Does that mean he now has two characters on different servers with identical gear? Did he get a free teleport away from danger? Maybe this idea needs a bit more work.

This wouldn't stop people who disconnect during combat either. This also removes the entire concept of this game being persistent and mmo-ish.

the best way i think to prevent all this problems, is a own database on hive for each server... (new server - new world - new character)

Now I can camp Stary, Cherno, NW airfield, all of the deer stands, your mother's house, your aunt's house, and my camp all without having to move from position to position!

In short: No.

Not only does this suggestion suck incredibly bad, like seriously one of the worst promoted in recent memory, none of those are even DayZ's biggest problem right now. DayZ has developed an aggressively massive community of script kiddies, and they're much more of a detriment to the game's future than just people combat logging.

I was thinking something like this but rather in combination of using it as to Save at a camping location to provide spawn details to the master server.

So Player A. Would Log off at NW Barracks, on Server N123.

Player A had recently made his Camp (with tenty tents) on NY123 about 2km west of that, and had saved his Character at that location.

Player A. proceeds to log in to Seattle 321, he is spawned at the location where he camp would be if it had been placed on that server.

He Loots Vybor and logs off, and proceeds to log in to NY123, and he finds himself back at camp once again.

Idea would be that as long as tents are easily destroyable, it would be rare for them to be conceivable spawn at rare loot places as say Stary, etc, though I think some tent placing restrictions should exist around said area.

... And here is where my theory crafting stops, I think your spawn should be saved at your current position unless you log into a different server, then you would be brought back to your spawn.

If you relog into the same server that you had logged into you would be where you had logged off.

though this wouldn't punish combat loggers, just server hoppers and ghosters, since a combat logger would be safe unless punishment could be added if he is injured and forced back to his camp, even then he would die at his camp safe and sound and can run and get his stuff.

the best way i think to prevent all this problems' date=' is a own database on hive for each server... (new server - new world - new character)

[/quote']

I disagree completely. What if the server gets blacklisted, taken down or something similar? You're screwed!

I also disagree with the main topic of this thread. It would cause problems for the legitimate players of the game. Instead, how about making the loot disappear from near where you spawn (one player only in the area) in the server that the person hops to?

Instead' date=' how about making the loot disappear from near where you spawn (one player only in the area) in the server that the person hops to?

[/quote']

Doesn't the game already do that?

the best way i think to prevent all this problems' date=' is a own database on hive for each server... (new server - new world - new character)

[/quote']

I disagree completely. What if the server gets blacklisted, taken down or something similar? You're screwed!

if this the only one way to prevent the shit about people who raids my camp on my server and then teleporting the stuff to his WORLD (server), hell ya i will deal with this risk!

Game already does that but server hoppers have ways around this.

Such as logging out at the bathtubs in the barracks that lead to loot spawning still.

Also yes Hackers are the biggest problem in day z but it is not one that is gameplay related and directly caused by dayzs game mechanics. It is caused by idiots who enjoy finding exploits and griefing people.

Server hopping, combat disconnecting, etc are all caused by the global character location system. It aids in playing the game unfairly and is unrealistic. It also helps in making servers generic and worthless. No server has its own identity they are all the same and they all are plagued by the disconnectors, exploiters, and server hoppers.

Losing your location in a game where travelling (via safe routes) often takes hours is a horrible idea and it's never going to be implemented luckily because I know the devs aren't that stupid.

These problems are definately the most important to the mods success besides hacking, but the OP's suggestion is not the solution. There is however a very simple solution.

Loot not spawning near players reconnect location needs to actually work. Combine this with a disconnect timer which should be around 30+ seconds in which one cannot interact with their player, unless they cancel the disconnect.

This will increase the time it takes the player to migrate to another server whilst also putting them at risk from other players and zombies if they try and disconnect in a high traffic area such as barracks, hospitals, or if they have aggroed zees etc. It will also decrease the amount of shooting on sight as consequences made from player decisions must be experienced rather than disconnecting.

I believe this will increase the immersion significantly as game mechanics cannot be exploited. Zombies will be more of a threat, shooting other players will actually have consequences and loot requires movement around the map as disconnecting/reconnecting will be extremely risky for a smaller reward (as loot will not spawn near player's reconnect location)

These problems are definately the most important to the mods success besides hacking' date=' but the OP's suggestion is not the solution. There is however a very simple solution.

Loot not spawning near players reconnect location needs to actually work. Combine this with a disconnect timer which should be around 30+ seconds in which one cannot interact with their player, unless they cancel the disconnect.

This will increase the time it takes the player to migrate to another server whilst also putting them at risk from other players and zombies if they try and disconnect in a high traffic area such as barracks, hospitals, or if they have aggroed zees etc. It will also decrease the amount of shooting on sight as consequences made from player decisions must be experienced rather than disconnecting.

I believe this will increase the immersion significantly as game mechanics cannot be exploited. Zombies will be more of a threat, shooting other players will actually have consequences and loot requires movement around the map as disconnecting/reconnecting will be extremely risky for a smaller reward (as loot will not spawn near player's reconnect location)

While I like the idea of a disconnect timer it will still not prevent people from alt +f4ing out of the game. It is as easy as setting up a macro for ESC + ALT +F4. That is all it takes for a player to disconnect.

Loot not spawning near players will also never work because they will just figure out the minimum distance required and then server hop from that location. This is how people manage to server hop the barracks.

I honestly think there is no other real solution to these problems aside from just tieing the location to each server.

Do you guys and gals not already frequent a regular server already ?

Bad suggestion is bad. What stops this guy who just spawned at the coast in a new server going back to where he was on the other server? Once his new location is saved on the new server he can continue server hopping. Sure it will take longer but it won't stop any of the problems you are talking about, it may just delay them.

It may even make things worse having your character at different locations on various servers. Server hoppers will have more locations to loot or snipe from instead of a single location like now.

1 char per server

Bleeding offline

Bad suggestion is bad. What stops this guy who just spawned at the coast in a new server going back to where he was on the other server? Once his new location is saved on the new server he can continue server hopping. Sure it will take longer but it won't stop any of the problems you are talking about' date=' it may just delay them.

[/quote']

Currently there is no drawbacks to server hopping. Inconveniencing the hoppers would go along way to discourage them.

My solution would absolutely stop combat disconnecting and ghosting because your location would remain the same when reconnecting to the same server where the combat took place.

You could no longer spawn behind the person who was about to kill you. You could no longer avoid death by simply alt +f4.

I would actually add the suggestion that if you disconnect while shot or in shock or supressed as in when a shot passes near you, you spawn with a 20 minute hourglass.

1 char per server

Bleeding offline

Excellent suggestion especially bleeding offline. Could see the server keeping track of your bleeding per second when you disconnect and how long you are gone.

Server then combines second gone before reconnect X amount of blood loss a second and subtracts that blood to your blood leading to most people dying.

I still think that having like 30 sec disconnect timer, where your character stays in the game, would solve the in combat disconnects.

On the other hand it would not solve server hopping for gear, but that is the smaller evil here in my opinion.

Nothing makes me raging more then person starting the fight with me only to D/C when I manage to fight back. Plus when he D/C to reposition himself and comes back to shoot me in the back, that is just puke icing on the shitty cake of combat D/Cing.

Server hopping for gear can be fixed by modifying drop rates based on server population. For example if server has less than 10 people it won't spawn gps, thermals e.t.c. The higher the risk - the higher is reward.

DC'ing on the other hand, i don't know. Flagging for pvp, or when aggroed by zombies? But what about situations when you are not yet engaged in combat, but you know that soon will be? What if someone shoots you but misses? You can avert dc'ing in some situations, but all of them? I doubt.

DC'ing on the other hand, i don't know. Flagging for pvp, or when aggroed by zombies? But what about situations when you are not yet engaged in combat, but you know that soon will be? What if someone shoots you but misses? You can avert dc'ing in some situations, but all of them? I doubt.

This is why I can not come up with another solution to the disconnections.

Only thing I can even remotely think of is eliminating any benefit to disconnecting by ensuring the only location he can spawn back in into the same location is the very server he left.

More importantly legit players would no longer have to fear the disconnector would come back behind them using an exploit to unfairly kill them.

How about, your character stays in game for 1 minute on a F4 and when logging off there is a 1 minute log off timer (like wow).

Also, when changing servers, you lose your higher value gear (weapons, ghillie suit, binoculars etc).