Mattolio (DayZ)

Servers restarting without warning

Manual restarter over here ... And this is what I get most of the time when I warn people:

http://dayzmod.com/f...-understand-us/

Sometimes feel like not giving a F and just restarting.

But the scum is still a minority, so yeah.

Who cares what other people say. Shrug it off. It's a 12yr old free-loader.

When I restart my server manually, I don't get any response.

Just restarting it on your entire server population without warning because sometimes someone says something that is dumb and obnoxious is not fair to the rest of your players.

TBH, I'd say the same thing to you if you restarted the server on me without warning and I respawned in the middle of town surrounded by a horde on the next server I joined. I'm starting to see where that player is coming from.

So, I now run my own server - mainly out of sheer frustration at how some of you admins went about your thing and I am yet to experience any glitches, server hangs, restarts outside of my control or anything similar. Perhaps I'm lucky? I think I've been on one too many servers run by admins who simply do not care for their 'free loading' players and sit there, finger poised over the kick button.

I like to restart manually - with warnings at 10, 5, 2, 1 and when I actually log to do the restart - and the only time I get a response is from players requesting more time. I have actually cancelled restarts for players and give extra warnings when I see new players joining that hadn't seen previous restart warnings. I like to be there and get a feel for what the players want.

I am also yet to ban or kick a single player (and this is from a guy who backs up server logs daily and actively searches out hackers). Even today, I found 2 dudes raiding my camp. I fired at one until he ejected from his motorbike and combat logged. I then found another crawling around in the forest wearing a ghillie suit after he'd ditched my UAV. Shot him a few times before he too combat logged. I didn't kick or ban them though, because I hadn't included messages which informed players I would do so but really...because until I was an admin, I combat logged on people. Live with it. Controversial. There are admins out there who would rage and ban like crazy under similarly weak instances. Combat log on me and I'll challenge you to come back and fight like a man.

So here I am, considering myself more a player having fun than an admin. I don't kick or ban people for doing stuff the game allows them to do and I certainly don't look down my nose at fellow players or label them piranhas when they are the very people playing the game and keeping the community alive. Not as you admins like to think you are doing. I am supplying a server for those people keeping the whole going...the players.