Acron

FN FAL or AKM?

I think the FN FAL (with no attachments) is worse than the AKM in a pvp situation, and I'm basing this off the weapon comparison charts(http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Weapon_Comparison_Table). My friend keeps saying FN FAL is better.

But according to the chart, AKM beats the FN FAL in:

-rarity (more common, same with ammo).

-Mag size (30 compared to 20)

-rate of fire

-zeroing

Everything else is the same. Only thing better on the FN FAL is recoil, but I think it is outweighed by the pros the AKM has.

So which is better in your opinion, FN FAL or AKM? And remember, the FN FAL has no attachments.

I think the FN FAL (with no attachments) is worse than the AKM in a pvp situation' date=' and I'm basing this off the weapon comparison charts(http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Weapon_Comparison_Table). My friend keeps saying FN FAL is better.

-rate of fire

-zeroing

Everything else is the same. Only thing better on the FN FAL is recoil, but I think it is outweighed by the pros the AKM has.

So which is better in your opinion, FN FAL or AKM? And remember, the FN FAL has no attachments.

[/quote']

FN FAL is a one shot down if I recall correctly, uses the same ammo DMR uses. (can't actually swap the ammo ingame, may be a choice in the future).

AKM can be zeroed, but best of luck reliably hitting anything 300m+ without massing fire.

FN FAL is a beautiful weapon that drops players 1 hit and is reasonably accurate (More accurate than the AKM)

The FALs only downside is its 20rd magazine, which isnt even a problem considering its damage and accuracy over the AKM.

i have taken 10 shots with akm and not even passed out, it is not one shot,not to mention the fact it doesnt even fire a full size round. however the fal takes away around 10125 helth from one shot. ammo isnt that rare if you know where to look, iron sights are a million time better,and it is much more accurate. while the charts say it is rare you can find upwards of 3 or 4 fals in one crash site, easy.

The nice thing about the FN FAL is its ironsight. It's beautiful. Slender front post and wide open sight means you can hit way more often than with the craptastic AKM sight. Don't get me wrong, I carry an AKM on me during every life until I find my DMR, and the zeroing is sweet, but I take the FN FAL for the ironsights.

AKM = 2/3 shots

FAL = 1/2 shots

FAL has more recoil, a higher rate of fire, and slightly more accurate. FAL Is slightly longer, 20 round magazine, and more noisy. No full-Auto. It's semi-rarity on crashed helicopters, however, is commonly found there.

AK has adjustable sights, larger magazine, and is more common. AK is somewhat inaccurate at long ranges.

Uh' date=' the AKM fires 7.62x39, which afaik is not an intermediate cartridge, its a full sized rifle round.

[/quote']

lol, the 7.62x39mm is definitely intermediate, otherwise it would be classified as a battle rifle, not assault. FAL uses 7.62x51mm which is full power. please if your going to try to correct someone get the facts straight first. it really is quite annoying.

I think the FN FAL (with no attachments) is worse than the AKM in a pvp situation' date=' and I'm basing this off the weapon comparison charts(http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Weapon_Comparison_Table). My friend keeps saying FN FAL is better.

-rate of fire

-zeroing

[/quote']

I'd go with the FN.

Rarity: Does not matter how rare something is, rarity does not make it better and has no bearing on stopping power.

Mag size: You can take down most anything with 1 shot with the FN, the AKM you'll find you use those 30 rounds pretty fast.

Rate of Fire: Not relevant either. You don't want to be firing fully auto and having to reload when they come knocking on your skull. Try to avoid having to shoot and when you do, aim carefully and use the FN for single shot kills (if using the AKM, can do the same but it will take 2 to 3 shots per zombie/human).

Zeroing: FN over AKM. Less recoil, much more accurate at distance. Close in or for distant targets you can re-acquire the target in the sights faster.

I've used both in DayZ and often in the regular game...FN hands down over the AKM

FN-FAL has a version with NV optics making it one kickass weapon to be using at night. I would take the AKM though, stats are the same but AKM has zeroing, giving it an edge over the FN-FAL.

AKM. You can zero with the AKM, you have more common ammunition, and you have 30 round mags and full auto/single fire.

FN-FAL has a version with NV optics making it one kickass weapon to be using at night. I would take the AKM though' date=' stats are the same but AKM has zeroing, giving it an edge over the FN-FAL.

[/quote']

no it doesnt, akm takes many more shots to kill than the fal. as well, the akm iron sights suck imo.

also why do i get the feeling that many of you have never even used the fal. i used to think the m14 was the best gun out there. oh how wrong i was.

I luckily found a regular FN FAL in the barracks last night, I couldn't believe it, I checked the wiki and it claimed only Heli crash sites drop it, I had also found a Bizon in the Barracks too, they drop better loot then the wiki claims. Both guns had several mags too. I haven't had a chance to use the FAL yet cuz I haven't decided to go player hunting, but I've had massive experience with the AKM, and many will disagree with me here but I prefer the AKS-Kobra too it, weaker round but a much much better sight. I can't hit moving targets at 200 meters+ with the crappy zeroed in AKM ironsights, but I can take anyone down within 300m the AKS-Kobra.

Also the Kobra mags are just as common as AKM mags. Plus if I find AK-74s or AK-74Us I can take the ammo off them as well. In my current game tho I decided to take a break from Kalashnikovs and switch to strictly AR-15 variants. I'm using a M4A1 CCO SD and a M4A3 CCO at the moment, two beautiful guns, for looting. I pull out the M4A1 SD for dropping zombies, it's quieter then the wiki reports, i've killed a zombie with another right next to him and neither had ran for me, and they were within 10 meters. I pull out the M4A3 on night servers cuz of it's handy tac-light and the grip is nice for sustained fire. Together they are my favorite weapons for looting. One to see with and one to steathily shoot with. I am also hoping to find a Heli Crash with a L85 AWS as it also uses 5.56 ammunition and it's got a night-vision scope. Or the FN FAL ANPV S4 would be an awesome find, as I already have 4 mags from my current FAL + whatever the night sight FAL comes with.

AKM is the best. Good luck scrambling up ammo for the FN FAL unless you're a duper.

AKM is the best. Good luck scrambling up ammo for the FN FAL unless you're a duper.

Not that hard to find ammo for a FAL, mine came with 4 mags, thats 80 rounds. That's 40-80 kills. I'm sure after that many kills I'd come across someone with FAL mags, also they spawn in the 7.62 ammo boxes in the barracks, i've seen as many as 20 spawn out of one of those. I didn't loot them tho because I didn't have the FAL yet. And if you have a vehicle you can find crashed helis a lot easier then most people where FALs drop pretty often.

AKM is the best of the two until you find a FAL ;)

I'd pick the FN FAL over AKM any day (if I find enough ammo), mainly because of the superior iron sights, since I only play on veteran servers. I find all of the AK-variants' basic iron sights extremely uncomfortable to use, while the FN FAL provides nice visibility when aiming. Also, a single burst is sure to drop any player (not sure if a single shot does it too, but with a burst you can't go wrong ^^)

The question here should rather be: the AKM or AK-74? Are there really any advantages for AK-74 apart from the reduced noise?

lol who uses the zeroing on a AKM????? if you're firing at someone whose 300m chances are you're going to miss em anyway and give away your position to snipers.

The FAL all the way. I've used both extensively, and the FN FAL is the better weapon. The AKM can zero, but I don't know why. Put it this way, you won't be hitting anything with much reliability beyond 300m anyway. I can *much* more often hit targets at 400m with the FAL than the AKM.

The FAL has a much tighter grouping at range, it's using a bigger (NATO) round, and drops people much easier. The ONLY thing the AKM has going for it is common ammo. The AKM is my favourite of all the assault rifles, though.

It's more accurate, fire rate is redundant because the FAL's recoil is 10x more controllable, it's more powerful and just overall more effective. The FAL also has (3-shot) burst functionality for CQC. Aim at the left leg and do a burst (it goes up and right) and you've got three hits, hopefully one leg, one chest and one shoulder/head.

FAL all the way!!!! I'd pick it over just about anything.

AKM. Only because the FAL is under powered in this game for some reason.

Considering its rarity, it should at least have more ammo dropped with it and an Acog scope or something...

how is it underpowered? also not to get to off topic, but the mk 48 imo is the best weapon in the game, recoil of the fal, damage and accuracy of the fal, fire rate of the saw, compact, 100 round belt, and aimpoint.

i've got the fn-fal with the nv scope on it. the gun is sick. The only reason i'm not carrying it right now is because I've got an L85. I like the AK for cqc, but it doesn't strike me as a particularly accurate gun.

Personally I would stick with the AKM, I find FAL ammo to be really rare. But AKM ammo is spread all over the place.