Sign in to follow this  
munchy

War in the south and peace in the north??

Me and some of my friends have found ourselves taking the first opportunity we got to flee up north away from Cherno and such (the killing fields) setting up shop in the safety of trees and hills, after may rather close encounters with other groups around the NW airbase and surrounding areas I've been seeing over the last few days/week a drop in open hostility between the larger groups of players ones know for all having NVG's, mill grade weapons and being well organized. It appears that the longer living player are moving for an "avoid conflict" (as much as possible)now they are set up.

This is from my experiences in the EU2 server, I was just wondering if anyone else is seeing or doing this in the North part of the map on other servers??

You avoid the chance of meeting other players in the north...but from my experience, up there its shoot on sight

In general SSG tries to communicate and come to an understanding, but recent events has made us weary and more prone to turn hostile in the north, unfortunately.

Hmm.. Well on FR2, I was pretty much in the south the entire time and didn't encounter a single bandit, everyone was helpful and friendly. If I saw anyone, we teamed up, and no one backstabbed. Had a group of about 6 people going at one point. Went up North earlier and it was pretty much shoot on sight, although far less players. More dangerous though, a lot of players are bandits with silenced weapons up there.

That's exactly it. The more experienced players take any chance they get to head north where the really good weapons are and the less experienced players are not. I would wager to say that 3/4 of a server's population at any given time is concentrated within 1KM of the coast line. Some of us try to get enough provisions and weapons gathered, maybe a small group too, to head north but it's very difficult to pull off with such a concentration of players wanting the same things you do.

Going north takes some preparation and you are MUCH more likely to get shot/robbed up there than eaten by zombies. Down south is, of course, where all the new players spawn, both those respawning and those with very little experience. I never got shot at once today although I ran into several lone players and even a couple of smaller groups. We pointed guns at each other a bit and went our separate ways. Not that likely to happen up north.

It's the reason I would like this mod to eventually get balanced enough that both threats and rewards are evenly placed. Zombies spawning on the dry land edges of the map and then moving coast ward would help.

That's exactly it. The more experienced players take any chance they get to head north where the really good weapons are and the less experienced players are not. I would wager to say that 3/4 of a server's population at any given time is concentrated within 1KM of the coast line. Some of us try to get enough provisions and weapons gathered' date=' maybe a small group too, to head north but it's very difficult to pull off with such a concentration of players wanting the same things you do.

Going north takes some preparation and you are MUCH more likely to get shot/robbed up there than eaten by zombies. Down south is, of course, where all the new players spawn, both those respawning and those with very little experience. I never got shot at once today although I ran into several lone players and even a couple of smaller groups. We pointed guns at each other a bit and went our separate ways. Not that likely to happen up north.

It's the reason I would like this mod to eventually get balanced enough that both threats and rewards are evenly placed. Zombies spawning on the dry land edges of the map and then moving coast ward would help.

[/quote']

To be honest, i'm hoping that the developers will add as little artificial rewards/punishments as possible, and instead just provide players with the tools to do so.

To be honest' date=' i'm hoping that the developers will add as little artificial rewards/punishments as possible, and instead just provide players with the tools to do so.

[/quote']

This is the guiding principle that drives my comments. Let the players police themselves while giving the tools to suggest how things should happen.

In my opinion, the action should be up north and not down south.

DayZ developers, I love the idea behind this mod but the spawning system is a mess. We need designated spawn areas (large enough to not be camped, of course) that we can choose to spawn at before spawning, so that groups can get organized and clear of the beach.

After that, I have really seen a lack of equipment being spawned in the middle map area. Tin cans, of course, are abundant. There needs to be more incentive for players to move steadily inland. Right now, the choices are to either stay on the beach or try and run straight to the northernmost part of the continent.

My least favorite thing about this mod right now is the spawning system and subsequent brawl as players and groups try to coordinate. It is horrific madness and its really starting to kill the experience, at least for my clan and I. Designated, selectable spawn areas are a MUST.

In my experience the North is just as hostile as the South the only difference being the people up North have better equipment.

My group was shot at up North a couple of nights ago, luckily we escaped then ambushed them without taking any casualty's.

PVP in the South is pretty stupid IMO 90% of the players have just spawned and the only thing you'll gain is some beans, the other 10% are guys with long range rifles sitting on top of buildings waiting for players to kill.

The safest are I have come across is the North East.

Made a foray to the north. Dead quiet up there, but I have no doubt if someone wanted to, they could take me out with no problems. Found about six corpses in a town I raided too. Could have been zombies, could have been something else.

With newer players all spawning on the south, there will always be some going at each other's throats. I'm starting to enjoy the wanderlust I'm getting when I run north though.

whelp, after living up north for a few days ended up getting hosed by some guy with a SMG, no communication, he just came into the building flat out murdered me, damn..., i was enjoying country life too

North is good for hunting but yeah, you're more likely to run into bandits there, especially near the airports. Stary and Novy Sobor became hunting zones since it was a common meeting place for airport survey teams. There are still ways of getting there and getting good loot and avoiding the bandits, but... I'd rather not reveal it.

Also more and more PVP people are starting to occupy castles so stay clear of them.

people up north dont take chances, you are more likely to be killed on sight by another group/player.

that said, over all, you are much more likely to be killed on the coast, even if you meet a few people.

the guys hugging the shore line don't last long.

Going north is a novel experience, our group plans to head north eventually, but we're rolling with roughly two dozen people at a good time, and all we want is to set up shop, and make a trading post... you know, and a want list; guns ammo, ect. people can trade for ammo, and weapons... we're taking the next step forward, and going north is the first step.

Chaos' pid='2916' dateline='1335529163']

Going north is a novel experience' date=' our group plans to head north eventually, but we're rolling with roughly two dozen people at a good time, and all we want is to set up shop, and make a trading post... you know, and a want list; guns ammo, ect. people can trade for ammo, and weapons... we're taking the next step forward, and going north is the first step.

[/quote']

Interesting concept Chaos - this is the kind of thing that more people need to be made aware of - that not all people are there to simply kill on site. Admittedly, once I get a decent load-out (guns, ammo, survival tools) I generally head north and try to attract as little attention to myself as possible when going in and around towns. However I have noticed my mindset has slipped more into a "shoot-on-site" state, whereas before the humanity update, I was much more trusting with other players. It almost feels like I'm actively trying to avoid people, but at the same time I'm more than willing to take someone out. That mindset is definitely set in stone a bit more now that I am roaming around with a bandit skin - I'm yet to encounter anyone that has even lowered a weapon or tried to communicate with me, I usually just hear a bullet snap on the ground around me, at which point I make my way to the nearest piece of cover and will try to get away if I'm in a town, or engage if it's in the middle of nowhere...

But back to what you're saying - this game almost needs more people like yourself and those you roll with - having big groups is a great thing to be a part of, and really helps out those that are new the game and getting to grips with things! The experience also gets dramatically better if you start roaming around at night in a big group - quite often the group I roll with (never any more than 6 of us at a time, usually 4 or 5) has only one or two people that are what I would deem as kitted out for night-time survival. It generally involves one person on point with NVGs, and another person with NVGs and a chemlight leading the rest through the encroaching darkness! It creates an amazing atmosphere and I can't even think of a game that can come close to bringing the same kind of enjoyment. Crawling around towns without seeing anything but a faint green glow 5 metres in front of you, hearing heavy breathing and screeches all around you whilst you shuffle through the dust-ridden towns? Amazing immersion!

Out of interest, what servers are you usually on Chaos? I've seen some of you Legion boys running around, but never actually found one of you to talk to!

In the southern parts I dont pay much attention to the player threat, in most cases I woulndt have spend a long time alive when roaming there, hence a fairly low loss if killed.

Moving north makes my 'life' considerably more expensive, time wise and I keep my finger on the trigger if players are about. I would rather kill than having to spend a few hours woking my way back there.

Not that I have much experience in the northern parts yet but I really hope to meet friendly survivors on my path - Just dont know how to approach them safely.

Rather than moving North or South, staying central's actually looking like the best choice for survival from players. Because the area has very few places of interest (you need to move out into nearby towns to loot, and then return - 'supply hunting trips' adds to the flavour of the game IMO), it's relatively easy to set-up camps and find defensible positions without having to worry about others stumbling upon you looking for loot.

The ragtag group I currently run with (15-20 survivors all met in-game, with no current 'group name') have done exactly this. The 1-2 players that do stumble our way have been friendly and willing to team up with us/move on without incident - mostly because they're moving inland to avoid all the gunfire in the first place!