Mafia_Puppet

How is this fun?

I spawned with nothing but a flashlight and ran around on the beach for half an hour. Straight line, never even saw a zombie. The game doesn't even have an auto-run button. You'd think your mod would try a little harder to impress new players. Terrible waste of $30.

Hello,

welcome to the forum!

1, yes thats all you spawn with, what you expect, m4, rocket launcher, jeep, grenades, chopper?

2 auto run is for idle bastards or bots.

3 look at this http://dayzdb.com/map#3.058.088 find out where you are then head for a BIG City.

4 just saying some ideas before you get FLAMED bigtime

5 enjoy the greatest zombie survival mod ever created..

good luck

It's not - we created this whole thing just to lure you in and watch you run about an empty close.

Thanks guys - wrap it up now. Great success, he fell for it.

You didn't pay $30 for DayZ, you downloaded an alpha test (WIP) version of DayZ for absolutely free.

The game has a very steep learning curve... So, you impulse-spent $30 on a game you didn't want to play (Arma2), so you could play an in-development modification for it, and then were too ADHD to bother learning how to play it? And that's the fault of the guy making this mod for free? Go complain to your counsellor, they're actually paid to listen to your crap.

Try looking at some of the guides and videos of how to start out.

Its pretty easy to get to places from any spawn - you are never very fair away from something useful.

It's by the way not even possible to run 30 minutes in one direction and not come across a town or a barn...

i'd have to agree with some of the OP...so far two days and all i've done is run around getting killed by people for the loot that i've found, which is no weapons with ammo, or a ton of ammo but no weapons to use them. I dont get why a surviver starts with just a flashlight and a gun holder, and theres ppl that have been playing this game since its started and have all the guns and just kill you to take your bandages cause you have a flashlight and nothing else...or maybe an axe, or an empty hand gun.

In all seriousness would you just run for hours from one zombie, or would you turn and try to kick it over or something and defend yourself? and wouldnt the guy you start as have a knife or something; being a solder and all?

and wouldnt the guy you start as have a knife or something; being a solder and all?

where did you get the idea that your char is a soldier?

when you start you are in civilian clothing suggesting that you are indeed a civilian...

This game isn't fun. At all. It has literally no redeeming features or entertaining facets. All 434,480 of us were tricked into playing it and we rue the day that we spent thirty whole dollars (I can't eat now!) on ArmA II - especially since ArmA II is no fun on its own, and has absolutely no other mods to play besides DayZ.

All in all this is very depressing!

i dunno where i woulda got that idea....maybe the fact that when you open your inventory it says your a private first class and you have all soldiers clothing. and the fact that those arnt civilian clothings really...just because your guy has a hat shirt and pants makes him a civilian?

You don't get the fact, that you and your character play a role. A role that created by yourself.

My favored is to be an axe murderer. I only slay zombies at all but, i have enough time left 2 kill my friend and i won't do.

My friends mission: Find vehicle, build a HQ (perhabs with tents :'D) and try to control Electro and Cherno =3

the only problem i have with this is people started with guns and more supplies before, and now we start with nothing; so the hoarders hoard, and the newbs stay newbs. So we new comers continue to get killed by anything and anyone wanting what little we have before we even get it.

I think the fact that you have a rank is more of a arma 2 relic than part of the dayz story.

The only context the game gives you really is the bit of information you get on the dayz homepage:

"A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive.

This is day Z. This is your story."

In this bit of information is nothing that hints to you being a soldier. Your character can be pretty much anything you want it to be.

the only problem i have with this is people started with guns and more supplies before' date=' and now we start with nothing; so the hoarders hoard, and the newbs stay newbs. So we new comers continue to get killed by anything and anyone wanting what little we have before we even get it.

[/quote']

This is totally wrong. If you're dumb enough to hang around the 2 big cities all the time of course that will happen. Just use the WHOLE map, Stary Sobor Mili Camps and the NE Airfield are not that dangerous and you nearly always find an AKM or better in there.

Hey,

I've seen many people complain about how hard it is to start out as a newbie(when you spawn) however that is not true. You must refrain from going into the next big city you see. Stop your hesitation and the temptation of getting an AK47 at the NW Airport right away. You should be careful in these dangerous times.

This game isn't set in the year 2012 where you can just go to the shopping mall and pick up what you so deeply desire, as long as you have the money for it. It is a survival mod and I am afraid many of you don't seem to understand that lifes are of no value to this game, items however are of great.

You may get killed for having only a flashlight, a bandage and such, however you also need to keep in mind that even a guy who's loaded with a secondary, some awesome equipment and so forth may hold a flashlight. It is not easy to tell if one has something or not, your only option is to actually kill the guy and find out!

It is not even bad to die when you have no equipment yet, because what was there to lose except a couple minutes of running? In all honesty your beginning is essential. You should immediatly run off the south in my opinion and loot barns and other abandoned places which are not as likely to be full of other players and grab your initial equipment. Then you're off to go to other citys, preferrable small and abandoned ones to get some basic weaponry and once you have that, you're pretty much set for the beginning.

You know before-hand that the NW Airport is like signing your death, so simply don't go there? You know that Cherno is your death - so don't go there. You know Electro is like signing your death - so don't go there. You know Devil's Castle is like signing your death - so don't go there.

Those people you claim to have played since the beginning and to be loaded with weaponry aren't actually as loaded as you think. I've been playing this game for a very long while now and guess what, I am still as scared of losing my stuff as you are. You might shoot me into the back of my head and run off with my little toy, the M4A3 CCO.

I think that the hardest part about the game is being inexperienced. Once you've played it a few times you realize the repeating pattern of dieng in specific areas and where you tend not to die so many times. Then all you gotta do is connect the dots.

I think the above pretty much sums it up for most people and I am sure it gives the thread creator an idea of what to do in the beginning.

Also don't forget that the moment you spawn, your told where you are at the right side of the screen! Finding where you are isn't actually as hard as you might think, it is fairly easy once you are experienced in it. You'll get used to the map and such and you'll know where what is. Just give it time. You aren't gonna become a pro DayZ murderer that has the sickest equipment and owns everybody in 2 minutes. It takes time and experience to know how to survive!

Regards,

Extremo.

well if you wanna go by that context then there are way to many flaws with that. I just happened to end up with a backpack filled with these randomed things but no gun or knife? for some reason i have bandages and a flashlight.. but no pocket knife of any kind...that really makes sense :/ what person in their right mind goes "you know what, i think i might just need some bandages for some unknown reason...but screw a knife which is one of the most vital things someone always carrys in a backpack, or even on them."

and also, wanna talk about this game being realistic? who can run for two hours straight with 40lbs on your back and not stop. or who would even try to not defend themselves?

People who get the game just for the mod are rushing the gun (get it!?) you really need to be able to play the military portion of arma2 to play the DZ mod efficiently.

Go and do some military training, then play "War Welcome" single player scenario and do some of the campaigns.

I spawned with nothing but a flashlight and ran around on the beach for half an hour. Straight line' date=' never even saw a zombie. The game doesn't even have an auto-run button. You'd think your mod would try a little harder to impress new players. Terrible waste of $30.

[/quote']

1/2 a million people play this game... just think about that before you dismiss it, as there is plainly something that you're missing.

also:

... if you rage now and tell me I burned your $30 I'm just going to roll my eyes and google for meme's....

In order to be "successfull" (aka survive for a couple of days) in this game you need the following skills:

1) be able to avoid zombies and if they aggro'ed on to you be able to lose/kill them (prefereably quietly) - because if you run into a town guns blazing you will either run out of ammo at some point (if you shoot every zombie in a town and pick up all the ammo for your gun in that town you will most likely end up having less ammo than you started with) or attract other players that will shoot you. stealth is your best friend in this game

2) be able to figure out where you are and navigate around the map

3) know how the loot/inventory works so that you dont sit next to lootpiles/corpses for too long - especially the somewhat "tricky" cases of switching backpacks (when your old backpack is filled with stuff you wanna keep)

if you have those skills you will survie even without having a starter gun and if you dont have these skills you will most likely die despite having a gun...

well if you wanna go by that context then there are way to many flaws with that. I just happened to end up with a backpack filled with these randomed things but no gun or knife? for some reason i have bandages and a flashlight.. but no pocket knife of any kind...that really makes sense :/ what person in their right mind goes "you know what' date=' i think i might just need some bandages for some unknown reason...but screw a knife which is one of the most vital things someone always carrys in a backpack, or even on them."

and also, wanna talk about this game being realistic? who can run for two hours straight with 40lbs on your back and not stop. or who would even try to not defend themselves?

[/quote']

I think the intention of the Alpha version of DayZ(which means it is not even nearly done) isn't to encourage realism just yet. It is still in its very building roots. The mod is just about to get a face by what the Community deems the mod necessary to have. Discussions like these encourage changes within the mod and who knows, maybe in a month or two the mod looks nothing like it was before and we all have to learn how to survive from the beginning.

Expectations are high and that is good, because your expectations raise awareness of problems that you experience with the mod but in all honesty things may change as they are deemed fit. You must remember that this is a mod - and Arma II is still a game. I personally believe that having nothing in the beginning adds to the fun of the mod and the game. After all if we want to survive as realistic as possible, you might as well just go outside and try to survive somewhere away from society. There's plenty of places and it is unbelievable hard to survive without knowing what plants may be eaten or what fruits may be eaten. What fruit you may avoid entirely because its poison is deadly in very tiny quantities and so forth. Though suggesting that knifes could add up to be a melee weapon might not even be wrong!

After all you don't know who your character is or what hes been through to end up at the beach after all. If you were a regular citizen, would you really start off at the beach instead of maybe at your house? He could have stranded from a ship or who knows what and might have lost what he had on him. Your imagination figures out the rest =)

Regards,

Extremo.

i'd have to agree with some of the OP...so far two days and all i've done is run around getting killed by people for the loot that i've found' date=' which is no weapons with ammo, or a ton of ammo but no weapons to use them. I dont get why a surviver starts with just a flashlight and a gun holder, and theres ppl that have been playing this game since its started and have all the guns and just kill you to take your bandages cause you have a flashlight and nothing else...or maybe an axe, or an empty hand gun.

In all seriousness would you just run for hours from one zombie, or would you turn and try to kick it over or something and defend yourself? and wouldnt the guy you start as have a knife or something; being a solder and all?

[/quote']

you do realize that you can run up a hill and get away from a zombie right? or just not set it off in the first place by going prone??

very good point extremo. and since this is the in the alpha, i would like to see the knife be put as a standard melee weapon...since in real life most people would use a knife in a life or death situation...

and as you said, this is a survival game where we make the story..so why do we end up on a beach each time we respawn..why not in a house? and how come your person automatically knows how to shoot a gun...does everyone in the world have perfect aim with every gun they pick up? i thought we were just civilians, not soldiers....

Fun to read how people all go mad because they spent 30$ on the game and then they think mod sucks for them!

Well first of all DayZ is free and you bought ARMA II with lots of features, mods and missions you can find on the web and play, alone or with your friends in COOP mode!

And at last, if you don't like the game the mod, just delete the whole thing and forget about it!

People are all used to the total arcade FPS shooters, were killing is easy as hell, the only thing you worry about it the lag!