Wyglif

MERGED: Night time, darkness, gamma

Is there a mod I can apply to make night easier to deal with? Most games are lit a bit better.

Nope. Use a flare or chem light. Some of us love the darkness, and (hopefully) it will remain unchanged in future updates.

Remember, this is a survival horror mod, night time is supposed to be hard and scary.

If you need, just adjust brightness and Gamma.... But like they said, the darkness is what makes the game what it is...

Another solution would be to play the game exclusivly during the day.... then youll never have to play in the dark again! :D

Night time is the single most terrifying aspect of this game and it's fantastic. You shouldn't be looking to change it, but that's my opinion. Nothing better than standing in the darkness and catching a glimpse of or hearing another player or zed and not knowing what to do next. Do you light a flare? Do you run? Do you fight?

So good!

The problem is that I should not be required to adjust gamma. The buildings and objects should reflect some light from the sky. As it is, everything is pitch black except for the sky. Not very fun when you don't start out with a flashlight.

The problem is that I should not be required to adjust gamma. The buildings and objects should reflect some light from the sky. As it is' date=' everything is pitch black except for the sky. Not very fun when you don't start out with a flashlight.

[/quote']

Seeing as you have apparently never been to a place with no street lights i will share this with you.

1. Reflecting light from the sky requires light, there usually isnt any light and moon light isnt enough to get your desired effect.

2. Dark is DARK. The way it is in the game pretty much reflects real life. sometimes you get moonlight, sometimes you dont. use chem lights/flares/flashlights.

I like the idea of dark, but my nighttime screen isn't just dark, it's literally pitch black across 80-90% of my screen. Having lived in the sticks before, I can tell you while it is dark, and sometimes even horribly dark, I can usually see at least the trees in front of me.

The problem is that I should not be required to adjust gamma. The buildings and objects should reflect some light from the sky. As it is' date=' everything is pitch black except for the sky. Not very fun when you don't start out with a flashlight.

[/quote']

You just haven't played enough.

The moon does come out, and the clouds do part - some nights are darker than others, depending on the amount of cloud cover and the position of the moon relative to yourself.

But you're right, when it's dark, it is very dark.

I don't think anything should be done about that, though - throw your flares and start scavenging.

Picture is related - it was quite clear out that night and visibility was pretty high - it wasn't even necessary to use flares.

But you're right' date=' when it's dark, it is very dark.

I don't think anything should be done about that, though - throw your flares and start scavenging.

Picture is related - it was quite clear out that night and visibility was pretty high - it wasn't even necessary to use flares.

[/quote']

Personally I would prefer the darkness to seem like that every night. I'm not a wuss for the dark (well sort of) but the darkness just kills me I can't see anything at all.

Then again every night I've played has been clouded and rainy.

The game can never simulate complete darkness. In real life, one's eyes would adjust to allow more light to pass inward after a while. There is no such thing in this game. When it is completely pitch black, that's it. You can see anything, it's discouraging.

With no light pollution, you should be able to see extremely far, and very well. The only times when you should not be able to see anything is when there is extreme cloud cover AND it is dark. But this seems to happen quite frequently, and when it does, you can't even see the shape of your gun or your feet.

I'm not complaining about it, but I am saying that it is not realistic, as many of you say. I would though, love to have the ability to see better after a while in the game. It would be truly cool if your eyes could adjust to the lack light, kind of like an opposite of the blur effect to when you bleed out.

At first didn't like the pitch black, and there is nothing gamma/contrast can do to fix that until the moon comes out. After awhile though you learn to love it, especially when you start to know the terrain. It provides great cover from your enemies.

At first didn't like the pitch black' date=' and there is nothing gamma/contrast can do to fix that until the moon comes out. After awhile though you learn to love it, especially when you start to know the terrain. It provides great cover from your enemies.

[/quote']

It is very hard to see crawlers and monkies in that ink. If you go prone in 1st person view the grass obscures your view of enemies that low. You simply can't see them unless you're down hill. On level ground or uphill of them and all you can do is crawl and pray. With the 1.5.7 changes causing zeds to roam far out from towns this presents a fair problem in my opinion.

[/quote']

Seeing as you have apparently never been to a place with no street lights i will share this with you.

1. Reflecting light from the sky requires light, there usually isnt any light and moon light isnt enough to get your desired effect.

2. Dark is DARK. The way it is in the game pretty much reflects real life. sometimes you get moonlight, sometimes you dont. use chem lights/flares/flashlights.

In the wilderness, a full moon can be BRIGHT. Bright enough to read a newspaper. Of course, a new moon night is PITCH black, but I thought I'd point out that moonlight can be exceptionally bright.

Adjust your gamma as much as you like, when the moon is cloud covered and it's completely dark it won't matter. You can crank it up all the way, still won't be able to see anything but the skyline. Flares will be mandatory on those nights, and finding a flashlight might never happen. I always make a point to watch the bottom right corner of my screen when I come into the game to see what I'm nearest to, then use the skyline and sounds to help me navigate. Specifically, roads. They're a great way to keep track of where you are in pitch black, the sounds of your steps will let you know if you're going off the road, and if you learn the area, you can navigate until you hear zombie noises in the distance. that's your cue to back up a bit, and then chuck a flare. If you're lucky there's a lone barn with a couple of walkers, some food and ammo in it, if you're not, you're in Bor, home of the worlds most pointless traffic jam, almost no resources, and about 50 zombies to contend with.

Arma is pretty much realistic in terms of what a really dark night looks like.

I remember that during a military march in the forest I couldn't literally see my hand in front of my face.

So we had to turn on the electrical illumination of our sights and open the top cover (which is normally used to produce the red dot in sunlight).

VsNhc.jpg

By turning the top cover to our back we ensured that at least the men behind are able to follow.

I am new to the game aswell and had my first dark play experience yesterday... O it definitely gives the game more atmosphere, however if your stuck with your basic starting gear you only get a few flares.

So throwing them will light up a bit for a small while but its far from ideal if i had to move myself iin this fashion then i would be running in the complete dark in no time so the only way to make the flares have some use is to pick them up and hold them. This in turn is also far from perfect the flare is right in my view and it for some reason it does not even give as much light as it would lie on the ground.

Would it not be a idea to have some of the main roads street lighting working and maybe have atleast some form of lights in some towns. This so people who died can actually move about a bit more easily. I know the whole idea is about the game taking place in a world that has gone to the shitters but its hard to move about with only a few flares. But just putting the flares somewhere else then in the FOV would be a huge improvement.

Greetz Solid

I heard that the game follow the real lunar cycle and so explaining why it has been dark on servers the past couple of days, not sure if this is true or not.

Having lived in the middle of no where for many years I have only ever encountered darkness like this in one place that was a large hall with no lighting and heavy blackout shades over the very few windows, we opened the shades to let the light in (it was late winter 2am and quite overcast).

This blackness Is unplayable I enjoy the new more numerous zombies and even can live with the insta spawns (as loot also re-spawns as fast), but that night I can safely if it stays I will be modding stuff. On the other hand the over cast nights with some moon where you can just see the grass as a light grey dusting is great and another great thing about arma.

The game can never simulate complete darkness. In real life' date=' one's eyes would adjust to allow more light to pass inward after a while. There is no such thing in this game. When it is completely pitch black, that's it. You can see anything, it's discouraging.

With no light pollution, you should be able to see extremely far, and very well. The only times when you should not be able to see anything is when there is extreme cloud cover AND it is dark. But this seems to happen quite frequently, and when it does, you can't even see the shape of your gun or your feet.

I'm not complaining about it, but I am saying that it is not realistic, as many of you say. I would though, love to have the ability to see better after a while in the game. It would be truly cool if your eyes could adjust to the lack light, kind of like an opposite of the blur effect to when you bleed out.

[/quote']

The game actually simulates the eyes to a small degree, but since there is not enough light to adapt to it is still dark. Test it in the editor with NVGs on a bright night and you will see. Also the light polution doesnt really do much when there is nothing giving away light..

The game can never simulate complete darkness. In real life' date=' one's eyes would adjust to allow more light to pass inward after a while. There is no such thing in this game. When it is completely pitch black, that's it. You can see anything, it's discouraging.

[/quote']

The game actually simulates the eyes to a small degree, but since there is not enough light to adapt to it is still dark. Test it in the editor with NVGs on a bright night and you will see. Also the light polution doesnt really do much when there is nothing giving away light..

I am not sure if you know what light pollution is, but it is the effect that lights have on our ability to see the sky at night. City lights decrease our ability to see at night, as they overlighten the horizon, reducing the effectiveness of the sky's natural light. Without lights, the stars should be extremely bright.

Here is a photo of light pollution & no light pollution during a cloudy night:

cloud_comparison.jpg

I am new to the game aswell and had my first dark play experience yesterday... O it definitely gives the game more atmosphere' date=' however if your stuck with your basic starting gear you only get a few flares.

So throwing them will light up a bit for a small while but its far from ideal if i had to move myself iin this fashion then i would be running in the complete dark in no time so the only way to make the flares have some use is to pick them up and hold them. This in turn is also far from perfect the flare is right in my view and it for some reason it does not even give as much light as it would lie on the ground.

Would it not be a idea to have some of the main roads street lighting working and maybe have atleast some form of lights in some towns. This so people who died can actually move about a bit more easily. I know the whole idea is about the game taking place in a world that has gone to the shitters but its hard to move about with only a few flares. But just putting the flares somewhere else then in the FOV would be a huge improvement.

Greetz Solid

[/quote']

You cant have street lights with no power. You can pick up the flares and glow sticks to run around with and light up the area around you. But this of course draws zombies and other players to you.