midnight1109

proper gun care

it seems that your pretty much constantly using the same firearm but,there is no cleaning of it.

in real life you should clean your gun everyday if you have fired it or it will jam or explode if automatic.

so if there is a feature to clean your gun to keep it from jamming (or exploding in your face) it will be good as new, but if you dont it will occasionally jam and possibly explode. If you don't take care of your gun it won't take care of you.

and yes in real life if you fire a automatic in full auto and it has rust it will explode from gas the excess gas and the spark from the rust and the powder.pretty much automatic dont release all the gas in teh gun they keep the gas to pullback the mechanism and release it.

1.nitrosolvent to clean your gun

2 gun oil to lubricate your gun

call me a idiot or whatever i really don't care and if you think it's completely and utterly stupid do some research.

bad idea

How?

I think it's a pretty good idea' date=' you haven't expanded on it overly well but I like it. Maybe not everyday but yeah...[/color']

bad idea

How is that a bad idea?

I like it. I like it really much. There should also be like weapon repair kits found in some of the indrustial buildings at the airfields, but they should be really rare.

They could make a similiar system to the weapon jamming thingie as ACE has.

hm you know that every proper assault rifle should be cleaned after about 3000-4000 fired shots? or do you think that active soldiers get out their cleaning stuff when they are in enemy terretority. especially the ak-47 is pretty unbreakable.

sniper rifles on the other hand have to stay away from dirt if you want to secure accuracy.

+1 Yes I am for any suggestion that involves having to use a field cleaning kit to keep your firearms in shape.

I think this a good idea, and I though of this before myself. If any of you have played Fallout, than that's how it could operate. This is something they should SERIOUSLY consider because guns are practically a dime a dozen and they should either more difficult to find, or harder to maintain.

I don't know if "cleaning" is the way you would maintain the firearm, but something along those lines.

Far Cry is also a good example.

Good idea. A basic toolbox should be able to partially repair a weapon. But only military repair kits could restore a weapon to full.

Or... Only civilian guns could be repaired with a toolbox and military weapon needed special attention

hm you know that every proper assault rifle should be cleaned after about 3000-4000 fired shots? or do you think that active soldiers get out their cleaning stuff when they are in enemy terretority. especially the ak-47 is pretty unbreakable.

sniper rifles on the other hand have to stay away from dirt if you want to secure accuracy.

You also realize that none of these weapons we find are new in the box? If you look at the destruction/state of vehicles/state of buildings around, it's pretty clear that Chernarus has a been a wasteland for quite sometime. These weapons have been sitting out since then, and they are going to be dirty, corroded, rusty, and generally unreliable. I'd sure clean ANY gun I found that had been sitting in a deerstand for months, wouldn't you?

or do you think that active soldiers get out their cleaning stuff when they are in enemy terretority. especially the ak-47 is pretty unbreakable.

Yes actually, not maintaining your weapon (meaning cleaning daily) especially when in the field is subject to disciplinary action where I come from. Generally it is expected that if you are in an extended halt you will rotate members of your section to field clean weapons.

And yes, while the AK47 is a robust and rather reliable weapon, without proper maintenance it's performance degrades. Needless to say, most of the weapons in DayZ currently aren't derivatives of the AK and where not having been utilised by military personnel or thorough civvies the condition of weapons would be somewhat questionable.

So, in short I'm all for the idea. As always, it's a matter of implementation.

Magnet

+1

I like the idea myself however maybe not have the gun exploded in your face.

such as it just jams and you have to throw it away for a new one or find a weapon repair kit like mentioned above. rendering it useless until fixed.

this way your not always using the same weapon and only upgrading for better gun's.

Really though, at what point is the game realistic enough?

Should we have to clip our toenails occasionally so that our socks last longer in order to keep from getting blisters and running slower? Should we have to brush our teeth often or risk dying from an abcessed and infected cavity? How about crotch rot? Running around in the same dirty underwear day after day is gonna cause some problems, better get working on an underwear and soap texture. I'll bet there are a lot of tics in a forrest area like Chernaurus, should we put them in as well? Giardia parasites in ponds from cow shit? Sunburn? Cancer? Guess we better have skin cancer if it's gonna be realistic eh? Ooohhh.....how about eye infections or maybe a rare chance of glaucoma?

All of these could be valid points for an authentic game but are still completely ridiculous. I think people are taking the 'realism' aspect a bit too far and at some point there would be no time for anything but working through your daily checklist of tasks to perform. PVP will no longer be a hot topic, everyone will be too busy checking for tics, looking for toothbrushes / nail clippers and sunscreen to worry about shooting anyone.

Actually, I dont mind your gun cleaning idea at all, but at some point a line needs to be defined where the game is realistic "enough". Am I wrong about this?

Really though' date=' at what point is the game realistic enough?

Should we have to clip our toenails occasionally so that our socks last longer in order to keep from getting blisters and running slower? Should we have to brush our teeth often or risk dying from an abcessed and infected cavity? How about crotch rot? Running around in the same dirty underwear day after day is gonna cause some problems, better get working on an underwear and soap texture. I'll bet there are a lot of tics in a forrest area like Chernaurus, should we put them in as well? Giardia parasites in ponds from cow shit? Sunburn? Cancer? Guess we better have skin cancer if it's gonna be realistic eh? Ooohhh.....how about eye infections or maybe a rare chance of glaucoma?

All of these could be valid points for an authentic game but are still completely ridiculous. I think people are taking the 'realism' aspect a bit too far and at some point there would be no time for anything but working through your daily checklist of tasks to perform. PVP will no longer be a hot topic, everyone will be too busy checking for tics, looking for toothbrushes / nail clippers and sunscreen to worry about shooting anyone.

Actually, I dont mind your gun cleaning idea at all, but at some point a line needs to be defined where the game is realistic "enough".

[/quote']

Yes, there is such a thing as taking it too far, but something like this is actually needed. We need gameplay mechanics to introduce more challenging aspects to the game. Making zombies harder and harder wasn't/isn't an answer, dieing to bandits is a player-driven mechanic, but things that ramped up difficulty like body temperature/infection were neat aspects of the game. They add an additional degree of both difficulty and immersion.

definite +1 to this, given the condition of Chernarus I doubt that makarov you find in the shady corner of a barn will be in mint condition to start with not to mention being in the rain and at your side when your crawling around in the grass/dirt.

I don't quite agree with adding a chance for the gun to explode in your hands but a noticeable loss of accuracy and increased tendencies to jam (particularly when in full auto) would be a very nice addition to the game further down the road.

Actually' date=' I dont mind your gun cleaning idea at all, but at some point a line needs to be defined where the game is realistic "enough". Am I wrong about this?

[/quote']

Yes there needs to be a line drawn, but maintaining your weapon by cleaning it is pretty normal for everyone who regularly fires his weapons. Also as this game is based around combat, I think bringing some kind of authenticity to it is ok. If it were based around fitness and health the tooth brushing and foot sanitation might be actual choices.

So realism as long as its focused on the the core this mod is built upon makes sense to me, but should be limited to mimicking the experience. Something like a field dressing & cleaning mini-game would be too much.

Really though' date=' at what point is the game realistic enough?

Actually, I dont mind your gun cleaning idea at all, but at some point a line needs to be defined where the game is realistic "enough". Am I wrong about this?

[/quote']

Took the words right off my tongue.

From what it seems some of these people really won't be happy until they see a fucking dead guy walk down the street.

I do however like the gun cleaning idea.