Guyd

Dayz and Ramdisk

Hello,

I had very low FPS in Dayz with my

i7 3820 8-core 3.40 GHZ overclocked to 4.20

GTX 580

DDR 16 gig ram.

So I made a ram disk of 9 gig and placed my entire Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead map inside it.

Following this tutorial (http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16332) but instead of only placing the dayz folder in it I decided to place the entire Arma 2 folder in it like this guy (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?88388-Here-s-how-I-got-ARMA2-to-perform-smoothly-using-RAMDISK)

However when I start up Dayz through this location I cannot join any server saying it's a bad version, but when I do it through the launcher it works perfectly.

Anyone knows a way around this?

Just relax. I am running GTX 560ti SOC edition on a quad processor and i still get 10 fps. Its not your system. FPS is server bound.

• Like 1

There is a way to get a higher FPS through Ramdisk, atleast that's what I heard. I'm trying it but I can't get it to work, thx for your response though.

I want the Sixlauncher to reach that path :/

There is a way to get a higher FPS through Ramdisk' date=' atleast that's what I heard. I'm trying it but I can't get it to work, thx for your response though.

I want the Sixlauncher to reach that path :/

[/quote']

Hmm tried arma II launcher by spirited machine ?

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8241

I use six to update and that launcher to launch

• Like 1

Your computer is more then capable of running the game not on ramdisk lol.

Your computer blows out the minimum specs on any new game thats released today, that being said hows your internet connection? That will really hurt your FPS in online gaming.

Do some speed tests and if your getting a lower speed then what your onboard ethernet is supposed to get either you've got a bad connection or your card is failing (not likely it'll usually just fail outright)

Built a computer for my buddy, i5 3570k, 8 gb of 1600mhz ram and a GTX 670 he gets 70-80fps at my house as our internet connection is beast and when he goes to his house out in the country hes lucky if he gets 30 and has to turn his graphics down.

Also try playing single player on chernarus and see what you get for FPS.

2050796543.png

I also moved my Entire Arma ll game to my SSD. I find it a little ridiculous that internet connection has to suffer FPS. I've never heard of this before.

There's your problem!

Your internet connection is terrible, upgrade and you'll notice improvements.

2050804900.png

There's your problem!

Your internet connection is terrible' date=' upgrade and you'll notice improvements.

[/quote']

Well that sucks, because I can't do that.

Live in a hard to reach area? I just uploaded my speed test for you to see. All your online gaming will suffer but its not your hardware at all so you don't need to do fancy ramdisk things like that.

Also you've never heard of your internet affecting your FPS? Your computer has to access the server for you to connect and to play multiplayer and your computer has to do calculations on signals being received so online gaming FPS is heavily dependant on connection.

Also your SSD will not help your FPS much at all, it'll mainly help your load times like loading the map in game, loading single player that kind of thing. It just has like double the transfer the rates of HDD that's what the big difference is between the two.

I have a constant V-sync locked 60 FPS regardless of server, unless of course the server is shitting the bed. You've got some other kind of issue there.

Single players doesn't give me good fps either. Did a quick test.

When I run in the woods in Dayz I get 60 fps though.

post a screenshot of your ingame settings because your system should run this game no problem.

Or if you have the ability do a fresh install of windows and arma 2.

I do that every 6 months or so to keep my computer fast

There's your problem!

Your internet connection is terrible' date=' upgrade and you'll notice improvements.

2050804900.png

Ner Ner :)

2052983004.png

Don't listen to people that tell you that latency has anything to do with FPS, they're the same people that use dvdrom drive trays as cup holders.

Your internet connection is also fine as long as your ping is low. Having a 20meg connection and having a 70meg connection doesnt do anything for games. If you wanted to see who could download arma2 faster, then it'd matter.

I'd defrag, disk check, and make sure you have no viruses. Check your task manager's performance tab to see if anything is using a lot of cpu or memory. Make sure to close the terrible six launcher also, known issues leaving that running.

Lastly make sure your audio and video drivers are up to date.

• Like 1

Strife you wouldn't believe how much upload speed affects gameplay.

He has better system specs then I do and yet i'm pulling 60-70 more fps?

Also BL1P thats an insane connection do you host? Also nothing of that sort is available where I am we've got as good as we can get lol

Internet connection had NOTHING to do with actual FPS at all whatsoever. That is simply not how computers work. Before you freak out I will start with this. I know people with connections of less than 100 kb/s and they play on 150 person Arma 2 servers and 60 person DayZ servers perfectly fine.

If your internet connection is terrible enough you will lag, but your FPS will never change. That is lag from the internet and is fixed by getting a better connection, however the "measurement" for that, rather than FPS, would be your latency/ping. If your ping is rising really high then you will experience internet lag.

However if your FPS itself is low, and you experience lag in single player where the internet plays no role whatsoever, then either the hardware or software is at fault or a combination. If you search these forums you will notice that people with systems similar to or better than your own lag in this game. It is server dependent to a point, and the game is TERRIBLY unoptimized. If the game was coded correctly everyones FPS would be 100 higher than it is.

For instance I am running this:

AMD Phenom II X6 3.3GHz 6 core (stable OC up to 4.2)

Dual HD Radeon 6870s in crossfire, both with 880MHz core clock and 2GB VRAM

16GB DDR3 1600MHz crucial RAM

a good 7200rpm western digital caviar black HDD

Before I moved my internet connection was 3 MB/s and now it is between 500 kb/s and 1.2 MB/s and my FPS is exactly the same, because it makes no difference. However despite that system I only get between 30-50 FPS most of the time. 60 at my highest sometimes, and as low as 10 on some servers.

If the server does not properly clean up old loot piles, player bodies, and zombie bodies it affects your FPS terribly. The major cities also wreck it primarily due to the large ass amounts of tank traps, wire traps, and barricades that litter the streets and block off all buildings.

I have tried running ARMA 2 with parameters set so that it knows I am running crossfire, knows I have 6 cores to use, will use up to 2GB of RAM instead of 512MB as default, and have changed some settings in the files that do not have a visual change in game but are known to increase FPS. None of this helped me much because the game simply does not work well with some and my components and it is terribly coded. Look around and you will see hundreds of people complaining that ARMA 3 better be optimized better so that everyone can actually play it as well as they should be able to.

To sum it up:

Internet connection is eight times the speed you need to play, computer is fine, and ARMA 2 was simply coded by first graders. Lots of people have problems that shouldn't but we need to deal with it till ARMA 3 comes out.

with my specs im getting 30-40 fps in most areas but in small town and such i can hit higher fps i also don't thinks its due to your low connection ive just ran a test and mine was pretty crap to say the least

I'm running an i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz, Radeon 6850 @ 850Mhz/1150Mhz, 8Gb 1600MHz RAM, 120Gb Kingston HyperX 3K SSD.

My internet is about 5Mb/s down, 500Kb/s up.

I play at a 1280x800 res with everything except AA, shadows and view distanc on their max settings. AA and shadows are at med level, view distance is 2500.

The lowest FPS I get is about 25-30 - this is still easily playable for me. My FPS is usually 40ish, and can go up to about 70 indoors.

All the specs I see in this thread should theoretically get equal or better results, which is all playable IMO.

Maybe this game doesn't like nvidias, or maybe some people are just running graphic settings that are too high?

I used to play this game on an i7 720QM @ 1.6Ghz, 4Gb 1333Mhz RAM, Radeon 5650M, 7200RPM HDD. I played at 1024x768 (I think) with low settings and got an acceptable FPS.

IMO, this game does not require shit-hot graphics if you really love the gameplay (although they are, of course, nice to have).

Why do people still keep referring to the graphics quality settings when the view distance is the one that matters most. I can crank up the settings all the way up to 11 and still get reasonable FPS at ~4000 view distance, but a ~6000 viewdistance will easily give me 25% fps. Also, it's not like you will spot things further with higher viewdistance: stuff will disappear at the same distance due to LODing.

As long as you got a videocard with a load of ram and something faster then a GF8800/Rx1600, the game will run fine.

Also, I do have to make a comment that some servers just are horrible in their cleanup (don't get restarted often), and the amount of garbage on the server will affect your FPS.

As for your internet connection, like you said, not much you can do there. There are however a few other tricks that you can do to make arma play and feel smoother.

First of all, get rid of Mouse Smoothing, I have no idea why but that crap seems to eat up at least 2-3 fps on my side, and without it the game feels so much smoother.

mouse smoothing can be found in the ingame options > controls > right side > slide the slider to the left

then in arma2oa.cfg change this line

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

or any other value if you altered it already

to value

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

The cfg can be found in %userprofile%\Documents\ARMA 2\arma2.cfg

There should also be an entry called "MouseSmoothing" which is probably set to 30, set that to 1. I'm not at home right now so I sadly can't check the cfg myself.

This Thread might also prove helpful for you http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php?topic=32321.0

Good Luck!

Hi, if you are home. Could you check the cfg, changing the things that u said I would, going to test it soon!

thx!

There's your problem!

2050804900.png

6-7Mbit from him are terrible? Where do you live? 6 MBit is enough for gaming and his ping is also ok. <2 Mbit is also ok for gaming, but not for downloading. you live in a world...tztzz