.martin

Is sneaking around zombies worthless?

It seems whatever I do (crouch-walk or prone slowly) zombies ALWAYS aggro, even through walls and when I'm going through buildings.

I just started playing yesterday, but I have been watching others playing this game since it was released. It seems like they get away with crouch-running through cities and they can even prone a couple of meters from a zombie without aggroing.

Has something changed recently? This is so frustrating...

Zombies do currently aggro through walls, yes, but it's been toned down since patch 1.7.1. Should be fixed even more in 1.7.2, coming soon.

Proning will always let you get past a zombie - but they have Line of Sight depending on which way their body is facing (not head), so if you prone in front of them they will see you.

But if you get too close, even proning is no use. Keep your distance, go slow, if you can hear them, go prone. Don't be afraid to stop dead and just observe. Use your roll (q and e keys) to shift position silently.

Remember you can use cans and bottles (bottles are best) to throw and distract them - they will head towards the noise if it lands close enough to them. Takes practice, tho - throwing depends on how long you hold down your mouse button. Usually about three slow seconds is long enough.

Never run in zombie-infested territory, and always, always, always have a line of retreat in your mind in case you do aggro one.

I find it easier to just run at full sprint to loot spots and then try to lose them by running in & out of buildings.

When you start off. Might as well sprint. Nothing to lose. You can also usually get away with sprinting in smaller towns, grabbing the loot, and killing the zombies in the woods by leading them there if you haven't made them lose LOS yet.

I always crouch walk when in a building. Easier to hear if other players are in there as well.

Thanks guys, and great post, Rocket! The line of sight was something I didn't really think about. I admit I'm getting a little impatient proning around all the time, I shall try taking it even slower. :)

Thanks guys' date=' and great post, [b']Rocket! The line of sight was something I didn't really think about. I admit I'm getting a little impatient proning around all the time, I shall try taking it even slower. :)

Woah! - I'm Bottlerocket - no relation to the great man, I just use that quote to remind people of what they're getting into with DayZ!

Have fun in there.

I find it easier to just run at full sprint to loot spots and then try to lose them by running in & out of buildings.

I think they're working on 'fixing' that (by letting the zeds run inside). do your thing, but know that strategy might not work forever

If they let zeds run around in buildings, I sure hope they slow them down by just a little.. it's terrifying how close behind they can get.. almost impossible to shoot them when zig-zagging and stuff.

Going inside feels kind of cheap, I'll admit, but it's the only option currently.

Zombies do currently aggro through walls' date=' yes, but it's been toned down since patch 1.7.1. Should be fixed even more in 1.7.2, coming soon.

Proning will always let you get past a zombie - but they have Line of Sight depending on which way their body is facing (not head), so if you prone in front of them they will see you.

[/quote']

In a recent hotfix/patch Rocket fixed the zed LOS to where it is determined by the head position.

In a recent hotfix/patch Rocket fixed the zed LOS to where it is determined by the head position.

I think that was reverted in 1.7.1.5?

I'm only onto my 3rd life... On this one I've managed to a: find my general location via landmarks and place name at start of session, managed to loot a deerstand and a low value house in a non main town... I found the crouch moving and trying to keep a distance between myself and the Zeds seemed to work, I didnt get agro in this session. This is the first time I've actually found a drink and not died from thirst (or quit before dying of thirst).

I also think though that what works for Zeds makes you an easy target for humans... unless crouch walking in little bursts, makes you look like a crouching zombie?