Posted (edited)

Hello bohemia and every one else! I have been playing DayZ Standalone since the first day of release back in 2013 on pc until last year when I changed to Xbox Console. I remember from previous days of DayZ that the damage systhem for guns was different and you could take a shot even from strong calibers, you had a chance to fight, you had a chance to prove your self. Lately I have noticed that current damage system is less competative it feels more like who ever spots the other first just won the fight it is especialy true if you are a solo catch a bullet and you eather die emidiatly or fall unconscious and than you will be finished off, I know you want to make a realistic game, but I feel like there should be a balance between realism and game, as i dont wat to play "life" in a game. So yea current core "fighting mechanic" is punishing for a player. Players have to decide weather they want to go with stamina and weak balistic protection, or strong protection but no stamina, and most players go with strong balistic protection and less stamina but even here if you are a solo adventurer, it is punishing, if you get shot once from a high caliber gun, you just fall unconscious and than its just GG well played, where back in the day you could have taken multiple shots before you die or fall uncountios which made fighting little bit more fair. You could even bring back the feature where when you had low HP your vision would become blurry, that was a grate feature. another suggestion would be, remove plate carriers from zombies and put them on helicrashes, make them more rare and overall more valuable item. make shock damage and damage in general little bit less, so that you might have a chance to survive or even fight back.

Edited by Andrey Andreenkov

Hi Andrey,

High TTK is not realistic and would betray the identity of the game. There's already too much of "arcadness" (for lack of better term but I think you'll get it) in the game. So please don't ask for more of this latter, ask for less.
It's always good for information to keep in mind those two words in the official descriptions of DayZ:  authentic and unforgiving.
You'll need to learn to adapt to those aspects.
I understand your frustration about being shot by surprise but we are all in the same boat. 
A bullet is dangerous and can be deadly. Just as it should.
Be glad and thankful that you can still respawn after being shot dead and continue to play the game. See, that's your balance!
That's the balance you're asking about a game and realism.

I completely disagree with original poster. I think the game needs to keep getting more realistic. You should lose a gun fight if someone has the drop on you. You should learn to win gun fights with your mind, not just how you move your joystick and press your buttons. I think we should have a more complex health system, broken arms, gut shots, etc. I definitely don’t want to see the game go in a more arcade fashion. I’m glad they are finally addressing the amount of gear we can carry. Needs more work, but a step in the right direction.

• Confused 1

The "problem" is that things are rarely either "black" or "white"... and in a game there is always a need for balance, otherwise it can become really bad.
You can't randomly mix "realism" and "arcadism", you always have to consider the balance.
Too much realism in just one aspect, leaving everything else "too arcade" makes a game really bad.
This, unfortunately, is what is happening to DayZ... a "random" mix of "pseudo realism" and pure arcade... with many defects, from the smallest and "harmless" to the largest and most annoying (and some never fixed).
However, in my opinion the real problems to fix first are many others... (vehicles, scammers, glitches and bugs, everything that concerns the "real" topic of the game: survival [better bases, skin constructions, greater permissiveness to fences and tents, etc...]).
And while I'm at it, lowering the slots on clothes (in the name of realism), without "compensating" with an equal increase in slots on vests and backpacks, was a stupid and absurd imbalance... which perfectly outlines what the programmers care about (and how much they actually play) about this game...
I really don't understand what's really going on in the heads of those who manage (and modify) this game, it almost seems like they're trying to ruin it on purpose, patch after patch.
And don't tell me that these programmers play it even 10 minutes a day... when I still know so many Zs with glitched hats inside their heads! It's NOT possible that they don't see it, it just means that: either they never play it (they write and distribute it haphazardly) or they don't care about the quality of the game.
Contest me on this, if you have valid arguments... 🙁

The game has gotten better with every update in my opinion. Our views of the game are drastically different. I like the reduction in the slots of clothing. I think it needs to get even better. Shouldn’t be able to fit a gas can in your back pocket. Doesn’t make sense. Would also like to see the character actually have to open up his backpack to get stuff out.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Sean_87__ said:

The game has gotten better with every update in my opinion. Our views of the game are drastically different. I like the reduction in the slots of clothing. I think it needs to get even better. Shouldn’t be able to fit a gas can in your back pocket. Doesn’t make sense. Would also like to see the character actually have to open up his backpack to get stuff out.

I can agree with this, but why reduce the slots of all clothes (creating other types of problems) and not simply put a "block" of certain objects in certain clothes?
Wouldn't it have been fairer, more rational and less impactful on gameplay?
Keep in mind that this is a game. It has very little "realism" ... unfortunately ... every change you make, also affects many other aspects of the game, if you make changes that are too "generic", you affect the whole game, not just certain aspects.
At this point they should also review the space used by many objects that, at the moment, are out of scale, such as weapon kits (3x2 > 2x1), leather kits (3x2 > 2x1), Acogx6, shoes and boots (they are huge), clothes with nothing inside (they are huge), backpacks with nothing inside (they are huge), etc ...
This is also part of the "realism", and you can't reduce ALL the space without also reducing the size of the objects to be contained ... IT UNBALANCES EVERYTHING.
I agree about the 20 liter gas can in the pants and I agree that the backpack should be removed and opened to get something... but also deposited WHOLE without being emptied (like in real life), and deposited FULL in the adjacent or back seats or in the trunk of the vehicles (like in real life)... there are many aspects of the game that you have to keep in mind when changing something, otherwise you do NOT "fix the game", but "mess it up even more".
This is what these programmers (and many players) do not seem to understand... or do not care...

Posted (edited)
On 8/10/2024 at 6:11 PM, Riddick_2K said:

Riddick_2K,

And while I'm at it, lowering the slots on clothes (in the name of realism), without "compensating" with an equal increase in slots on vests and backpacks, was a stupid and absurd imbalance... which perfectly outlines what the programmers care about (and how much they actually play) about this game...

I might be misunderstanding you on this one. Why do you want "compensation" in an equal increase in slots on vests and backpacks? The carrying capacity of vests and backpacks is unauthentic and should be reconsidered too. I don't like the fact that DayZ is officially described as authentic and unforgiving and that you can still carry a Mosin in the backpack, a cooking pot in the vest, a shovel, a jerry can, a car radiator in the vest, a big wooden log or any other ridiculously massive item in any inventory or storage system that wouldn't align with honesty and accuracy.
I think that the inventory system need to put a full confident step and embrace realism with detail and meticulous care.
Same here: if I have no pocket in a t-shirt then I shouldn't be able to carry something in that worn t-shirt and the vest or the backpack shouldn't compensate for it by increasing the carrying capacity unrealistically just for the sake of compensating, easing on survivors and giving them relief. Giving them what they want instead of what they need because I fear that they might not buy or play my game anymore.
No, sir! Betraying the identity of the game is not the right direction.

On 8/11/2024 at 9:02 AM, Riddick_2K said:

Why reduce the slots of all clothes (creating other types of problems) and not simply put a "block" of certain objects in certain clothes?

Yes! Now we're getting close to it. But...
Putting a block of certain objects in certain clothes is a good idea.
Unfortunately, it doesn't resolve everything. The inventory and storage system need to be reworked in the carrying capacity and reconsidered with what, how and if a certain content or contents all together can be carried in a container with a meticulous touch of realism in mind.

Keep in mind that this is a game.

What do you mean by this?
A game is what you make it to be (to the margin of the systems possibilities). As a developer, I think you can manage to fit the inventory and storage system to fit realism if you want to. 

every change you make, also affects many other aspects of the game, if you make changes that are too "generic", you affect the whole game, not just certain aspects.

This is true. That's why half work doesn't work. BI need to rework the inventory and storage system with depth and I suspect that the "only slots design system" might be limiting in the capacity to approach realism.

This is also part of the "realism", and you can't reduce ALL the space without also reducing the size of the objects to be contained ... IT UNBALANCES EVERYTHING.

I wouldn't choose the word "reduce" for everything. (Of course now we instantly think of reducing and it just indirectly shows how the current state of the inventory and storage system is ridiculously big, unauthentic and forgiving)

I'd phrase it like this because accuracy here does matter:
You can't rework the storage system to be authentic without also reworking the size of the contents to be contained on par with authenticity because It creates unbalance.

Authenticity: Realistic works strive to depict reality as accurately as possible, avoiding idealizations or exaggerations.
Two words in the official description of DayZ: authentic and unforgiving

Sean_87__,

They are working on it, one step at a time. 

I really hope so and in the right direction.

Edited by Presence-
  • Confused 1