Sign in to follow this  
Guyd

Dayz Performance

First off, my specs.

Processor: i7-3820 @ 3.60 GHZ (8 CPUs) overclocked to 4.40 Ghz.

Temperature of my processor wont ever go above 55 degrees celcius.

Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 580 slightly overclocked.

Ram: 16gigs of DDR3 Ram

I put all the settings of dayz in low and when I run in a forest the fps caps to 60. I'm fine by that, but when I run in Cherno my fps drops to 20-30.

Now I'm pretty sure my pc should be able to handle this easily.

Any ideas on how to increase the fps?

Putting all settings to low, could even harm your performance as a great deal of GPU calculations get shifted to your cpu.

Do a few in game single mission benchmarks and toy around with video settings. See what improves your fps and what hurts it.

ArmA II isn't a great graphical engine and the DayZ MOD also effects FPS both client side as well as server side. I've a similar rig, with the only exception I still own an old GTX 285, that should be more than capable to run ArmA II yet I'm in the exact same boat as you are.

On average I'm able to pull 46fps during the single player benchmarks and I see my FPS drop towards 30 and lower when a great deal of object are drawn on the screen. With DayZ my fps is more around 30fps on average.

Putting all settings to low' date=' could even harm your performance as a great deal of GPU calculations get shifted to your cpu.

[/quote']

Interesting. Do you know which settings do this?

you should check Arma 2 forums like Armaholic they have a thread with very good ideas when it comes optimizng this game.

But yea your pc is awesome lol, Also turn off Shadows, antialiasing, anisotropic filtering, and postprocess effects.

That gave me like 30+ fps

I have the same cpu as you but not overclocked. My gpu is HD 5870 1 gig. 6 gigs ram. I have my settings on normal. All of them. I get between 55 and 75 FPS on average.

I have done nothing special with Arma II / Dayz.

The only thing I have done is I defraged and optimised My Arma II file using smart defrag. A free program that is part of the free Advanced system care package from Iobit.

The reason I did this was my hard drive seemed to be the bottleneck for me and caused stuttering at times. I no longer have any issues at all. The only time my FPS drops below 50 is when I use fraps and for some reason it caps at 30. (no I don't have freeze fraps at 30 FPS selected) Some systems with identical gear can have vastly different results. What is running in the background can often be at fault. Also I let the application choose the settings for my GPU which is on default settings.

Hope you get it sorted.

dayz runs quite odd for me too... I get 60 frames 90% of the time on ultra at 1440P. I run with a AMD 3.2 ghz 6 core CPU and a Geforce 560 2gb. The only issue that I have noticed is that when I scope in on the grass about 10 m in front of me my FPS drops to about 20ish. Besides that the game runs quite well.

I tried lowering my resoultion but that only helped slightly.

I have the same cpu as you but not overclocked. My gpu is HD 5870 1 gig. 6 gigs ram. I have my settings on normal. All of them. I get between 55 and 75 FPS on average.

I have done nothing special with Arma II / Dayz.

The only thing I have done is I defraged and optimised My Arma II file using smart defrag. A free program that is part of the free Advanced system care package from Iobit.

The reason I did this was my hard drive seemed to be the bottleneck for me and caused stuttering at times. I no longer have any issues at all. The only time my FPS drops below 50 is when I use fraps and for some reason it caps at 30. (no I don't have freeze fraps at 30 FPS selected) Some systems with identical gear can have vastly different results. What is running in the background can often be at fault. Also I let the application choose the settings for my GPU which is on default settings.

Hope you get it sorted.

Any other tips or trick that could help it? I'd love to fraps at 50, it always goes down to 30.

I have a 120hz monitor and I can fraps Skyrim on ultra high with 120fps. Kinda an indicator of how strange this is for me

Check that your graphics card drivers are up to date, that can make a big difference.