Rayth

Legit silenced sniper rifles?

Hurodff just triple tapped. The 3 bullets hit you before the sounds got there... :P

In any case, it is possible that Arma's sound engine didn't report properly.

I have never used a silenced sniper in ARMA II so take this for what it is worth. My guess is If it was a hacked SD sniper shooting from range there would be no "ping." All you would hear would be the whip crack from the bullet when it was near. My guess from your description would be AS50 from 600 - 700m plus. The AS50 has a distinctive "ping" sound when the cartage is ejected. The initial firing of the AS50 has a very low tone ending with a ping making the end of the firing cycle the most noticeable sound at range. It sounds much different than all of the other ranged rifles in the game.

Sniper rifles aren't intended to be balanced in DayZ from what I can tell. I only hear them when the sniper isn't aware of me, but I've been shot by many an inaudible sniper while trying to help people on the coast. It would be nice if there were real risks for sniping, but Rocket says DayZ is not going to be balanced (though he seems perfectly ok with preaching about exploits, go figure).

Well, there are many silenced weapons that are legit and, in the right hands, could easily kill you from a distance. The only legit ARMA II silenced sniper is the VSS Vintorez and that is not in this. But, a silenced assault rifle could easily drop someone from a distance if you knew what you were doing.

M4 SD HOLO W 203 Launcher is also in the game, and legitimate.

M4 SD HOLO W 203 Launcher is also in the game' date=' and legitimate.

[/quote']

not with a m203. only with a CCO scope

OP' date=' were you killed in NWAF by any chance?

[/quote']

Yep. Do you know where I was killed?

If it was you that took us down or something, I'd appreciate knowing how we got owned. Some people in this thread say that I'm crying or whining about the death (don't understand the proliferation of those types of comments on these boards) but really I just don't like feeling like I got owned by non-legit weapons.

P.S. - me saying 1000m is just overestimating, not an accurate representation of the possible distance between us and said sniper.

P.S.S. - there's always the off chance that we just didn't see the guy. But how far out would the shot have come from if we didn't hear the report?

M4 SD HOLO W 203 Launcher is also in the game' date=' and legitimate.

[/quote']

not with a m203. only with a CCO scope

There is however an M4 holo w/203, just without the silencer. I've never heard of there being a silenced variant in the game.