Sign in to follow this  
Xianyu

Community picks - Weapons

So, whats yer all favorite weapon? When everything is done and dusted, that is. Range, sights, noise, ammunition capacity, ammunition availability...

Personally, I think the M16 ACOG has the best of all the weapons. It has a decently long range sight, is accurate, and the ammunition (STANAG) is pretty damn common, while the weapon itself barely makes more noise than a pistol. Zombies don't come running from more than a hundred metres.

Lee and AKM. Very easy to get, stopping power, can light a match at over 300 meters. Killing in 1 body shot is probably my most important figure for a gun.

Reasonability to the wind, it's the AS50 come times I can get one.

Lee and AKM. Very easy to get' date=' stopping power, can light a match at over 300 meters. Killing in 1 body shot is probably my most important figure for a gun.

Reasonability to the wind, it's the AS50 come times I can get one.

[/quote']

What's the AKM like against a survivor? I love the AKM for its zeroing ability, but with iron sights it's still impossible to hit anything beyond a certain range (because it doesn't render). I've never had cause to shoot at another player while carrying one, though.

Against humans? M14 with the scope attachment. I think that's the off-spring of a grimy, hardcore, big-ass Guan Yu looking motherfucker.

Leroy Enfield combined with an average decent assault rifle. What do you got? Yeah, that's right, the M14.

It's very rare however, only had it once when I got it from a lucky barrack spawn. ;)

AKM's iron sights are fine for me. Better than the squat sights of the other AKs.

The AKM's a 1 hit kill to all areas. It's most effective at a range where you can toss a half dozen bullets at someone at a moment's notice because every single one of them is a kill and at the very least you want them down ASAP - even a dead man has time to shoot back before he hits the floor.

Just about every other rifle in it's class is 2 to the body for a kill. Hell most of the sniper rifles are 2 to the body.

i like the akm, its powerful, fairly accurate, common ammo and totally rips players and zombies to pieces. I also like the m16a2.

Against humans? M14 with the scope attachment. I think that's the off-spring of a grimy' date=' hardcore, big-ass Guan Yu looking motherfucker.

Leroy Enfield combined with an average decent assault rifle. What do you got? Yeah, that's right, the M14.

It's very rare however, only had it once when I got it from a lucky barrack spawn. ;)

[/quote']

I've had the M14 twice. Once, I found it in the fire station, left it in a tent east of that castle. It got stolen.

My second one is still in my hands. I find that the red dot sight has too low a zoom for the weapons effective 'range'. The red dot is made for close encounters...but the weapons effective range should be up to 500 metres or further. It's just not effective to aim at that range, with that sight. Plus, ZOMBIES. ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE.

20 rounds a magazine is, however, quite godly. Just...don't like it, personally.

Meh, used to like AKM but have died several times due to noise level... Once I was looting a Cherno apartment then someone approached from the outside and started firing from cover at me with a Makarov. I sprayed him but he took cover, and immediately 5000 zombies enter the building, incapacitating me due to sheer weight of numbers even after i killed most of them..

Honestly, the "1 shot" factor only matters on Sniper rifles because you want to 1 shot people from far out...But on guns like the AKM (an assault rifle with much lower effective range) 1 shotting usually doesn't matter.. If a guy is within assault rifle engagement range chances are you'll have no problems putting the second shot in. Plus, desyncs and general server lag sometimes make it so that it takes an entire clip to kill someone at point blank full auto all hits.. making the mere 1 shot difference negligible.

Also, I read the player health > zombie health. It should take 2 or more shots for AKM to kill at most ranges except <100m, where it is indeed 1 shot 1 kill. The Lee is more powerful than the AKM at longer range, and more accurate despite the fact that the wiki doesn't specify.

Personally, I'd imagine that an M107/AS50 in combo with M4 SD or L82AWS would be the best weapons. The sniper rifles would silence any threat from long distances if you know how to shoot, while the M4Sd is great for looting cities due to silencer. The L82AWS is good with its thermal sight. All you need is 1 scan of an area to spot literally everything (that's not in a building) camping there, great for spotting when using the aforementioned snipers.

However, I've never gotten lucky enough to find those guns. So far, the AK-74 Kobra has been my favorite gun for general use. Common ammo, and the sights are wonderful, especially at night where it glows in the dark. Its controllable automatic fire also makes that function actually useful, whereas AKM recoil renders its full auto mode useless. I've also loved the Winchester for beginner purposes and the M1911 is my favorite sidearm.

[attachment=1930]

[attachment=1931]

My FN FAL AN/PVS-4 is awesome sniper!

Pitch Dark or Day Light it don't matter i see very clear both cycles.

I've had the M14 twice. Once' date=' I found it in the fire station, left it in a tent east of that castle. It got stolen.

My second one is still in my hands. I find that the red dot sight has too low a zoom for the weapons effective 'range'. The red dot is made for close encounters...but the weapons effective range should be up to 500 metres or further. It's just not effective to aim at that range, with that sight. Plus, ZOMBIES. ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE.

20 rounds a magazine is, however, quite godly. Just...don't like it, personally.

[/quote']

I guess it takes some time getting used to the M14. I've personally never had problem with the red dot.

I was pinned down 1v2 at the airfield. I just Sylvester Stallone'd the fuck up and emptied my clip all around. Got them both.

Its accuracy is incredibly reliable, at least for me. Zombies aren't a problem. I rather have a good twenty zombies at my tail than two people taking pot shots at me. Just run into a building, withdraw secondary weapon and waste them. :rolleyes:

Lee Enfield hands down. If you play in a group, it really shines. The thing is a goddamn cannon. I

1. It is common and mags are all over

2. HUGE stopping power.

3. Iron sight gives great peripheral view, good for close quarters.

4. Extremely accurate even from a distance.

5. Decent rate of fire for a bolt action rifle (it feels like a semi-auto).

6. You are not completely screwed if you are surprised in in close quarters situations.

The only downside is that it is very loud.

1 shot doesn't mean it's instant. That's my point. It just means they're going to die, but during that bleedout where they can't bandage they can still shoot back. I'd rather have 4 bullets that all do lethal damage than two pairs of 2 that can only kill combined. Even the AS50 yields death only after a second or two.

And yeah, all the better guns need a zombie sidearm. My handgun of choice is the revolver. Makes zombies a non issue.

Lee Enfield is the best for me. I love the range and how loud it is. Shoot 1 zombie outside a town then just walk away. You'll get the entire town of zombies slowly walking to where you shot from. Now you got an empty town just waiting to be looted. Costs 1 bullet and lets you know the location of every zombie within sight.

I just acquired a M249 + M107 from a heli crash

not really sure what to make of them yet.

Also have an MP5SD from a lucky deer stand drop

Close - mid Range and patroling: M14 AIM hands down. Common ammo, good rate of fire (faster than FAL but no burst or auto), low recoil once you are used to it, same stoppingpower as FAL and much better than the M4 plastic toys, better view down the sight (especially with a Ghillie) and looks.

Damn that thing is sexy all around. There's a reaons why I carried one on almost every life I played in DayZ.

Downrange it's the AS50 on the big boys. All the advantages of the M107 but without the major disadvantage: noise to players.

M1911 makes zombie encounters a non-event.