Sign in to follow this  
griffinz

A plea for more servers!

Thanks for the reply Jonnerz - appreciate the hosting! That's incrdible that it burns 6TB of data a month!!!

I'm sure if you can get one or preferably two Aus/NZ servers up and running, you will have a lot of Oceanic players very interested.

Cheers again for stepping up and hosting this fantastic (albeit bandwidth hungry!) mod for everyone to enjoy.

I have been highly resistant from taking money.

Money fucks things up. I don't want your money, because then we have to manage it. We don't manage anything, we don't promise anything, we don't argue - we just make stuff and you see it when its done.

However, if people want to organize their own group, and collect donations to setup a server - thats great. Then we don't have to fuck around with finding the money, managing it, having someone embezzle it, getting a bad rep, etc... etc...

People are greedy. This mod is about the ART. This mod is about the MOD. This mod is about YOUR STORY.

If you bring money into a project like this, at least at this stage - that's what it becomes about. There is a time and a place for commercializing something, but that is not now.

No studio could ever develop this because this project was a risky proposition. I have pitched it before and been told it would never work and people would never respond to it. Personally, I think games need to "grow up" with their audience. People want real emotion, real feelings - human emotions. These include anger and frustration, disappointment, despair. They don't want stories forced down their throats, when they can make their own.

But like I said, commercial models can't take the kind of risks a project like this can. Nothing is more terrifying for a company, than this kind of project - which takes nothing, is successful with nothing and asking for nothing. That's the edge of development, and its the only place you can really, truly, experiment.

I believe experimentation in a commercial studio game setting is largely dead, it's about production (as it perhaps should be).

^Spoken like a true leader.

Jonnerz, if you do set up a server in Oz/Nz, I'm confident donations will meet half the costs...at least for a few months

well, in all honesty, i have a VPS box in my hands, fresh A2 CO install, like adam said, to receive the mod... everything is just waiting on his word to give him the remote desktop info so he can install the mod.. unfortunately, i havtn heard back from him since yesterday afternoon.. wana pick up were he left off rocket?

I'd donate for sure!!! I can never find an open server in the US!!

Chaos' pid='2885' dateline='1335526275']

well' date=' in all honesty, i have a VPS box in my hands, fresh A2 CO install, like adam said, to receive the mod... everything is just waiting on his word to give him the remote desktop info so he can install the mod.. unfortunately, i havtn heard back from him since yesterday afternoon.. wana pick up were he left off rocket?

[/quote']

Reply back to email dayzdevteam@gmail.com, address to tonic, me, adam. Whichever one is online will get onto it straight away.

Some very good points rocket, I'm glad to be supporting a mod developed by someone like you.

I'll see what I can do regarding the Aus/NZ hosting, generally the bandwidth costs are 4-5 times more than the US as well as steep hardware prices.

No studio could ever develop this because this project was a risky proposition. I have pitched it before and been told it would never work and people would never respond to it. Personally' date=' I think games need to "grow up" with their audience. People want real emotion, real feelings - human emotions. These include anger and frustration, disappointment, despair. They don't want stories forced down their throats, when they can make their own.

[/quote']

I so so so so SOOOO agree with this. I'm angry that you pitched it and they turned you down. I've been wanting a sandbox zombie game like this for years and suspected developers would never try it out. I guess you confirmed my suspicions.

Oh well, I suppose arma is the perfect game for this mod anyway and this is probably a discussion for another thread.

Back on topic: If some good EU clan servers popped up I'd consider donating to those. The 2 EU servers we have currently are always full and when I do get in I find them to be a fair amount buggier than the usually emptier FR servers.

I've made a donation page using our group pay system. This is so all donations can be tracked by everyone: http://billing.hostaltitude.com/grouppay.php?hash=a8255-cdb95-5995c-a577b-fa8e3-df152-8b

If we reach $100 I will get another E3-1230 server in NYC which can host 4 x 50 slot servers. If you'd prefer another location then please say so.

I've made a thread for discussing all this here:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=346

I'll see what I can do regarding the Aus/NZ hosting' date=' generally the bandwidth costs are 4-5 times more than the US as well as steep hardware prices.

[/quote']

We pay fiber-optic prices for our dial-up

I think a few people I play with were talking about setting up an EU based server as we have a dedicated server that's doing nothing atm. Not sure about the server specs but I do know it's high end and has 32GB Ram and no bandwidth limit. Normally we can run a 100 player server with no lag issues.

I'll speak with them again tonight and hopefully we can all agree to get this server running.

New guy here, but I may be able to get something setup for the summer in Florida. I've got access to a college pc gaming clubs servers and during the summer they tend to thin out.

Some very good points rocket' date=' I'm glad to be supporting a mod developed by someone like you.

I'll see what I can do regarding the Aus/NZ hosting, generally the bandwidth costs are 4-5 times more than the US as well as steep hardware prices.

[/quote']

the aussie and NZ community would be VERY grateful if you were to put a server up for us. I'm sure if you guys need donations I could try and get some from the ausarma community which I co-run with another admin.

We've had two servers go up, one of them lasted a few days and then had to shut down because of the bandwidth. The second one is hosted by platform networks which although had the capacity to run the server, also had to shut down because of the high bandwidth cost and the usage was interfering with their other systems.

To say our community is desperate for a local server(s) would be an understatement I think and I'm sure there will be plenty of donations. At least initially.

pm me if you need me to organise anything. I can ask around the community to see what kind of money we could get together, would also be good to know how much we would need to raise each month to cover the costs.

i agree cm, NZ and AUS need another server, im in the process of waiting to hear from them to set mine up, all it needs is the mod installed, i sent an email, and PM's.

i know mods are busy on alpha's though, so hey, its all good:)

good luck to you and getting your lot sorted out!

CheerS!

Chaos

How long have you been waiting, Chaos? We're looking into getting an EU one up, based in UK.

I've made a donation page using our group pay system. This is so all donations can be tracked by everyone: http://billing.hostaltitude.com/grouppay.php?hash=a8255-cdb95-5995c-a577b-fa8e3-df152-8b

If we reach $100 I will get another E3-1230 server in NYC which can host 4 x 50 slot servers. If you'd prefer another location then please say so.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=339

I'd like to put my support behind JonnerZ.

He came to us at a time when we were still very small, he was kind and friendly and very helpful - very trusting and his server has taken the bulk of the load during the development.

Host Altitude is the company he runs, and I really can't say how helpful him, Tonic, Profan, and the 6 other hosters have been to this project. Bandwidth costs alot, these guys are forking out BIG money for this, and getting very little in return. And they're doing it without demanding a thing from the dayz team and giving us root access to our boxes.

Restores whatever faith in humanity I lost watching you all slaughter each other on the servers :D

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=339

I'd like to put my support behind JonnerZ.

He came to us at a time when we were still very small' date=' he was kind and friendly and very helpful - very trusting and his server has taken the bulk of the load during the development.

Host Altitude is the company he runs, and I really can't say how helpful him, Tonic, Profan, and the 6 other hosters have been to this project. Bandwidth costs alot, these guys are forking out BIG money for this, and getting very little in return. And they're doing it without demanding a thing from the dayz team and giving us root access to our boxes.

Restores whatever faith in humanity I lost watching you all slaughter each other on the servers :D

[/quote']

Dropped $25 for the community, hopefully we can get some more servers up. Glad to hear you've had nothing but good experiences with these hosts, makes me more confident in a donation and makes me interested in their services.

I can safely say I would definately donate to an Aus/NZ server. I refuse to play with 250 ping.

That link to the thread seems to be broken?

What other locations in the US do you have available? I only found "Arizona coming soon"? This mod would do well with one or two servers somewhere further west' date=' both to help us west coasters with ping but also so we might play in a time frame similar to what we see when we look out the window ;) It's a rather long hop to NYC! I'm pooling together a few interested players... errr... investors... but if you can help us it sounds like your company would easily have the best value.

[/quote']

Wrong link, here it is: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=346

We have good links with datacenters in Phoenix, Arizona; Dallas, Texas and New York. We can also provide them in Chicago but this has a more premium network so is slightly more expensive (Not worth it for ArmA 2).

I will probably bring up a third EU server shortly, rocket just needs to supply me with a new mission file and it will be done.