Sign in to follow this  
Marcus Blade

Them zeds sniffin' me out!

I'm pretty new to this mod, and genuinely think it and its community are a great deal entertaining. I've met all sorts of people, from the paranoid, to the careless, to the outright bloodthirsty. However, (evidently in a literal sense) for the life of me I can't seem to sneak around zombies.

I've tried crouch walking around them, and even proning through an entire zombie-cluttered town, but I always get caught, and being an unarmed noob, they chase me to the woodlands for five to seven minutes 'til I give up and let them kill me, because I can't find any steep hills to try zig zagging up. Heck, I tried losing a zed up one hill that way, but during a cautious crawling away after breaking sight, he found me anyway and finished me off.

So I've got to ask you post zombie apocalypse vets, how the hell do I sneak around the zeds? They're all over the place, and they sniff me out through walls, fences, and buildings even when I'm proning. A friend of mine tells me she can literally just walk through town like she owns the place without attracting zombies, only crouching when she's really close. But me? I get caught when I try to do that.

So what's the secret? I can't seem to sneak around long enough to find a hatchet to defend myself with.

Off-note; this is Marcus, if you're reading this, John. I saved you from zombies in Electro with a hatchet I found, and gave it to you when I lost the spare to terrain glitching. Then we went further in for loots, and you accidentally killed that Josh guy with the hachet because you thought he was stealing a pistol heh. PM me here if you're reading this, John. We can get ahold of each other over Steam.

When spawning double tap the left shift, it will make the default as walk instead of run. Then when you want to run you can hold shift, but I do not advise it unless you are on grass and have a clear line of sight all around you.

The zombies are buggy, the next patch will reduce the noise that they hear by 50% through walls, this alone should stop a lot of the problems where zombies hear you even though you cannot see them because they are the other side of a wall.

It all comes down to being patient and staying as far from zombies as possible. I do not recommend lying down unless there is no other option because it takes a long time to stand up and be able to run away. From crouching you can start running straight away.

1) As thisisbleep advised, do what ever you must to stay crouched and go even slower by holding shift (or double tabbing shift).

2) Try using more silenced weaponry.

3) When being chased, if you're near a dock or a building with multiple entrances, run to there, the zombies get all stupid in these places.

4) Keep in mind that zombies attack players closest to them, if you see another player, don't be afraid to sacrifice them, if you know what I mean.

5) Shadows lower your visibility (just wanted to make it add up to 5).

Shadows lower your visibility.

I noticed this last night whilst sneaking around in the moonlight, nice little detail.