scott.bowen

DayZ Frostline Dev Blog Week 22

⚠️Disclaimer⚠️
Please be aware: Information shared in our development blog represents a work in progress, not the final product. Contents and features discussed are subject to change before release. We aim to provide insight and foster community engagement, but details may evolve as development continues. Thank you for joining us on this journey, with the understanding that what you see here is a glimpse into the process.

Introduction

Welcome to our Development Blog, an exciting channel where we'll be peeling back the curtain to provide you with a unique glimpse into the inner workings of DayZ Frostline Expansion.
Our goal is to bring you closer to the creative process, revealing the challenges, achievements, and day-to-day endeavors that shape the game you love. 

For our second instalment into this series, we're thrilled to peak into Environment and Snow

Stay tuned for our next installment, where we'll delve into Skybox and Weather.

First, I'm thrilled to bring you all along for a special journey into the heart of our recent DayZ Survival Camp event, a monumental celebration marking a whole decade of DayZ adventures. This year, as we toasted to DayZ's 10th anniversary, we decided to do something truly special: invited a group of influential creators to join us for an unforgettable experience and have exclusive look at our new Expansion - DayZ Frostline.

Sneak Peek 

Description - Summary

Environment

A Closer Look at DayZ's Frostline Expansion: Insight from the Development Team

As we delve into the creation of the Frostline expansion for DayZ, set on the enthralling Sakhal archipelago, there are a few design decisions and creative directions we've taken that we're happy to share with you. Our vision has been to create a unique survival experience that breathes new life into the game, and here's how we're making it happen.

The Decision for a More Intimate Map

Sakhal stands as our most compact map to date, boasting an area of approximately 87 square kilometers of traversable terrain (Subject to slight changes depending on development), not including the vast expanses covered by ice sheets. This shift towards a smaller landscape was driven by our observation of player interactions within community-favored modded maps, which highlighted a clear preference for environments that encourage encounters and engagements between players.

Moreover, this more intimate setting allows us the opportunity to delve into an unprecedented level of detail in the environment design. The smaller size does not mean a reduction in complexity or exploration; rather, it enables us to craft a world with rich storytelling and intricate details that larger maps could not accommodate, thereby enhancing the immersive survival experience DayZ is known for.

Utilizing Tanoa Terrain: A Strategic Choice

In our quest to expand DayZ's universe, we evaluated numerous factors, with time and gameplay standing at the forefront of our considerations. While the allure of crafting a brand new map was strong, the practicalities of map development, such as time constraints, data acquisition, and legal hurdles, guided us toward a different path.

The decision to adapt the Tanoa terrain from a lush tropical landscape to a rugged, volcanic island nestled in Far East Asia was not taken lightly. This approach allowed us to leverage existing geographical data and transform it dramatically to fit the harsh, survival-centric gameplay of DayZ. 

From Tanoa to Sakhal: What Remains and What Evolves

It's essential to clarify that our use of Tanoa’s base elements — satellite data, heightmap, and key geological features — serves merely as a foundation. Significant modifications have been made to these components to capture the essence of the cold, desolate landscapes characteristic of the Kamchatka Peninsula. The familiar road networks while somewhat retained, have been tweaked for gameplay, forests reimagined to suit the new climate, and the topography tweaked to align with DayZ’s distinctive gameplay needs.

This transformation extends to the assets utilized within the map. While some assets from previous maps have been repurposed and readjusted to retain the Eastern-European architectural vibe; re-using some models make perfect sense. we're also introducing a wealth of new building assets specifically designed to reflect the rural and rugged essence of East Asia, and more specifically, Kamchatka. This ensures that, despite some visual similarities, Sakhal offers a fresh and distinct experience compared to its predecessors.

Florian (DOJ) - Environmental Designer

Spoiler

20240527135352_1 (1).png20240527135414_1 (1).png20240527143228_1 (1).png20240527143141_1 (1).png

How will Sakhal distinguish itself from other maps?
Our team is brimming with passion for world-building, and we're enjoying the process of populating the map with varied, detailed environments waiting to be explored. Sakhal is crafted to deliver a raw, authentic experience that sets it apart from other maps. It highlights a distinct visual style that is uniquely its own. We believe this drive to authenticity and uniqueness will elevate the immersion and realism for DayZ players, surrounding them in an environment that's not just seen but deeply felt.

Michael Docherty - Environmental Designer

Spoiler

image (23) (1).png

Snow

Description - Summary 

The introduction of a new terrain brings with it the challenging task of reimagining how players interact with the environment. Snow-covered landscapes aren't just a visual spectacle; To give you a glimpse of what's in store, we've prepared a series of sneak peek videos showcasing environmental differences that you may not find in Modded Maps. 

Snow covered placements

Thanks to the Enfusion team, we were able to update super, multi and plant shaders with a possibility of projecting a texture layer in any defined direction. This is particularly beneficial in case of rocks and trees, which do not need to be placed or textured in a certain way, because snow will always be projected from top to bottom.

Adam Franců - Creative Lead

Spoiler

20240307092428_1.png20240307092431_1.png

Snow Tracks

Note: Particles behind vehicles and alive entities moving on the snow are also being looked at.

Spoiler

Dev Vlog Tire Tracks 3 (1).png

Thawing Snow

Spoiler

image (54).png

Flora Visuals 

Spoiler

1_3_winter_birch (1).png1_1_winter_picea (1).png

Infected feeling like home 

One of the aspects I truly cherish about working on DayZ is the chance it provides me to delve into in-depth research on specific topics, garnering references, and gaining a comprehensive understanding of how things operate - like exploring the intricacies of Frostbite.

Windstride - Artist 

Spoiler

image (19) (1).pngimage (20) (1).png

Read More and Wishlist 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

These are cool little details, the thawing snow especially! Thanks for bringing back the dev blog.

So is frostbite now confirmed..? Or is that just for infected models. It looks good.

Also one idea: the concept of player footprints remaining for a certain amount of time would be an amazing feature, i dont know if possible with the engine, but itd be great for tracking people if you're close enough. 

Edited by Judley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

There are mines on Sakhalin. One is called "Eastern Pearl", the other one "Dolinskaya". Hope you will add those on the map, and not just like above ground office/industrial buildings, but also underground part. Mine entrances on Livonia and Chernarus are very nice assets (closed ones). It's a shame you never opened them. The mine in Solnechniy would be priceless. Same as underground tunnels under NWAF. When you were releasing NWAF rework update last year you mentioned "underground god/demon", so I thought you do going to open them, but as always - don't trust dayz devs hints as they are not what you may think. Especially with "exotic". To dayz devs "exotic" = "standard". You should have picked words more carefull, as you gave false hope that you gonna add heavy long range sniper rifle, but instead added another sniper on x54 caliber... At least don't give false hopes with Sakhal.

• Beans 1

If the frostbite pic means it is not only visual for infected, but also visual and illness for players that is very nice, having permanent frostbite like on Namalsk with max health reduction is great idea. Maybe also slight speed of movement reduction if it's legs frostbite, plus some reduction if it's fingers (like slower weapon draw out or something similar)

• Like 1

Loving everything I see genuinely, keep up the great work team 🫡

2 hours ago, Judley said:

These are cool little details, the thawing snow especially! Thanks for bringing back the dev blog.

So is frostbite now confirmed..? Or is that just for infected models. It looks good.

Also one idea: the concept of player footprints remaining for a certain amount of time would be an amazing feature, i dont know if possible with the engine, but itd be great for tracking people if you're close enough. 

53 minutes ago, JerseyD said:

If the frostbite pic means it is not only visual for infected, but also visual and illness for players that is very nice, having permanent frostbite like on Namalsk with max health reduction is great idea. Maybe also slight speed of movement reduction if it's legs frostbite, plus some reduction if it's fingers (like slower weapon draw out or something similar)

They said already that for now there is no frostbite. No hard to guess that's infected...

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Kuzyn. said:

They said already that for now there is no frostbite. No hard to guess that's infected...

They also said:

⚠️Disclaimer⚠️

"Please be aware: Information shared in our development blog represents a work in progress, not the final product. Contents and features discussed are subject to change before release. We aim to provide insight and foster community engagement, but details may evolve as development continues. Thank you for joining us on this journey, with the understanding that what you see here is a glimpse into the process."

----------

We shall have to wait and see, but yes I agree that's a picture of Infected, what excites me more about that picture is the new camouflage pattern 😍

I dream of them one day also adding (Flecktarn) camo clothing besides just boonie hat 🙏🏻

https://dayz.fandom.com/wiki/Boonie_Hat

Edited by Drift13b88

I really like these, keep them coming. Generates alot of hype throughout the community

I think every detail so far is incredible, but there are things that need attention with the base construction, which for years has only continued with fences and gates, there are mods that go much further than that and cars, another issue should have a car adapted for snow, that would be incredible. and add some new 8x scopes of various models and a white ghilie simple things and also not so simple but in my humble opinion it would change the dayz 1000% ass:KRCADU

On 5/31/2024 at 8:11 PM, Drift13b88 said:

They also said:

⚠️Disclaimer⚠️

"Please be aware: Information shared in our development blog represents a work in progress, not the final product. Contents and features discussed are subject to change before release. We aim to provide insight and foster community engagement, but details may evolve as development continues. Thank you for joining us on this journey, with the understanding that what you see here is a glimpse into the process."

----------

We shall have to wait and see, but yes I agree that's a picture of Infected, what excites me more about that picture is the new camouflage pattern 😍

I dream of them one day also adding (Flecktarn) camo clothing besides just boonie hat 🙏🏻

https://dayz.fandom.com/wiki/Boonie_Hat

Of course everything is a subject to change. I'm just saying that it was denied by Sumrak during event for content creators, he confirmed there is no frostbite (for now). 

• Beans 1