scott.bowen

DayZ Frostline Dev Blog Week 20

⚠️Disclaimer⚠️
Please be aware: Information shared in our development blog represents a work in progress, not the final product. Contents and features discussed are subject to change before release. We aim to provide insight and foster community engagement, but details may evolve as development continues. Thank you for joining us on this journey, with the understanding that what you see here is a glimpse into the process.

Introduction

Welcome to our Development Blog, an exciting new channel where we'll be peeling back the curtain to provide you with a unique glimpse into the inner workings of DayZ Frostline Expansion.
Our goal is to bring you closer to the creative process, revealing the challenges, achievements, and day-to-day endeavors that shape the game you love. 

Understanding the importance of direct communication, we've committed to publishing a Development Blog post every two weeks.
Each entry will dive into specific topics, ranging from technical insights to sneak peeks of upcoming features. 

For our first foray into this series, we're thrilled to share a video presentation that was initially crafted for showcasing our in-progress build to press and influencers from the DayZ Survival Camp. It was essential for us to ensure that our community doesn’t have to rely on second-hand footage to feel connected and informed. This video is our way of ensuring you receive information straight from the source, complete with the authenticity and depth that only the developers themselves can provide.

Stay tuned for our next installment, where we'll delve into new snow features and environment.

Also check out Shacknews publication featuring Project lead Thales Q&A

NOTE: In the interview, it was mentioned that we showcased frostbite affliction. During the presentation, there was a question about this feature and we answered that we are looking into it but are not planning to have this feature, at least not for the initial release of Frostline.
Credit: TJ - https://www.shacknews.com/article/139906/dayz-frostline-video-interview

Sneak Peek 

Description - Summary 

DayZ Frostline expansion looks to enrich its ecosystem with a variety of new fish species. This expansion into aquatic life not only introduces new resources but also enhances immersion within a new environment - Sakhal.

Spoiler

1927164474_steelheadtrout_wip_2(1).png.c547301058df4dd82205c709549ee908.jpg

2094801197_steelheadtrout_wip(1).png.ff7297b18f2ecbcc7d1a1fea24923867.jpg

1996905290_steelheadtrout_fillet_wip(1).png.98222fb70896096163e11dfd647b335e.jpg

1304252825_ForDevBlogs(1).png.1342402701eda12f07fc7610559d3558.jpg

Developer's Quote

"I love how, as a game designer, you gain expertise in the most unexpected areas. I never imagined I'd learn so much about cold-water fish and their life cycle. (Hope it will earn me some points in quiz nights.)
I believe that steelhead trout will fit the environment perfectly. It will require a bit of skill and luck to catch this one, but it's definitely worth it.
The fish looks beautiful thanks to Václav and contributes to making Sakhal's fauna unique, enhancing the atmosphere of the island."

Jana - Game Designer 

"Hello, well probably the biggest challenge was steelhead trout. First it was the scales and the color of the scales. Because I did not find any suitable photos for textures so I decided to draw it ,,by hand". In cooperation with designer - Jana we decided that we would like to have trout when it migrates from fresh water - inland to salt water - ocean. Due to this, his camouflage changes.
In case of fillets: I spent more time to do different types of textures for fillets and yes also there was problem to find a references for dried fillets.
So far lots of fun to do and I hope you will like it, I will continue on the other new additions"

Václav - Character Artist 

Read More and Wishlist 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 1

Any chance that dev logs would continue after dlc release?

• Beans 1

The long awaited fishing update? The AI update died for this...

• Sad 1
  • Beans 1

Thank you for ramping up communication! I'm very excited to see more of Sakhal...

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Excited to see where  it leads for  Modders  on PC hopefully the mecahnic leaves avenue to implement environmental impact like Heat and Cold  much more easily  and  its nice the Console players get their Pseudo Namalsk . 

The map looks great. The time in which a food goes from frozen to warm is very short, in my opinion the one assigned to Namalsk is a more appropriate time.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 4:58 PM, Kuzyn. said:

Any chance that dev logs would continue after dlc release?

This would depend on the amount of development. If we continue to grow and the popularity is in favor, i see no reason to stop it 👍

• Like 4

Is the fishing news just a new fish? Really ?
But improving fishing activity first, since you can't fish from piers and rocks, and often even from the shore it's difficult to activate the animation? wouldn't it be better?
In reality, the fishing activity should be activated EVERY time you aim your sight at a piece of water, even from a bridge if you want... this is how it works in RL.

🤨
P.S.
Take a look at this "gebsfish" mod, maybe hire the programmer:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2757509117

😉

• Like 1

1. food defrosting and warming very quicky - not good / not challenging 

2. food seems spawning in every house - not challenging

3.  same building from chernarus/livonia - not authentic

4. same 5 icons bottom right. nothing new ???

On 5/23/2024 at 2:44 PM, Pandriks said:

1. food defrosting and warming very quicky - not good / not challenging 

2. food seems spawning in every house - not challenging

3.  same building from chernarus/livonia - not authentic

4. same 5 icons bottom right. nothing new ???

1. Can't take hours or it would be a horrible game mechanic. If the duration is anything like Namalsk it is fine.

2. We have only seen little yet, but they've said survival will be harder the further you move from the coast. Also from what I've seen houses are few and far between. I have a feeling competition for those frozen cans of food will be fierce along the coast.

3. Again we haven't seen much yet, but they talk of new assets. I'm hoping for some new paintjobs for the old houses at least...

4. Why would they change the UI? It's still the same game. I don't want a heap of icons cluttering the screen, the less the better for immersion.

About that - I still want the possibility to hide the entire UI (hold §) but still se action popups. Otherwise it is hard to play and especially perform some actions with hidden UI.

• Beans 1

Hey guys. I know you have a lot of work to do and almost no free time, but don't forget about existing problems. Till this day there are no high caliber (heavy) sniper rifles (like M107 form Arma2 Dayz mod) that are capable to do significant damage on 500m+ distances. Right now with all sniper rifles and calibers available max distance for sniping is within 500m (even 500m is too far, in real game it'll be more like ~400 - 450m). All that above is not reachable. You can land a shot, but it won't drop or one shot a player, so in real game scenario target will run away. This diminishes all concept of sniping to zero. Because even if there be no sniper rifles in game at all, assault rifles like M4 or FAL would cover those distances (up to 450m) as .308 or x54 are still good within this range. All sniper rifles that use .308 / x54 should cover 500-800m range (one shot uncon or one shot dead), and if there be present high caliber rifles they'd cover 800m+ distances. But current state shows that  all battle/assault rifles and sniper rifles seats in 0-450m range, as they all are limited by .308 / x54 power. There is no need to cover 800m+ distances (like 1km / 1,5km), at least give us something that can 1hit/uncon or 1hit/kill a player on 500-800m.

As for Sakhal - I hope you learned all lessons with Livonia. The frost system itself will add a lot of content to the game. But having underground facilities/bunkers in game (like Dambog) from the start would be nice. Even though ppl say it's gonna be Namalsk 2.0 I know that you want to bring something authentic, but still don't be too proud not to look at Namalsk expirience. Even though this is a mod map, it is the best map in DayZ right now. Partly because of frost system (your main fight is against of cold + hunger) and ambient music, which we asked to add like forever. Dayz mod from Arma2 had that ambient from the start, it was mostly creepy (like in horror games), but it made the strongrest impression. So all that (snow/frost/hunger/ambient) together makes it harder to survive/boosts general vibe, which gives you impression like there's no hope. That is why I think Namalsk is the best map right now. So don't neglect to lear from it : underground facilities, ability to craft H.E.V. suit, oil rig, frozen submarine (must have it guys, it is amazing), Bering outpost far away from the shore on the ice (it is priceless). So take the best from it, make it your way, make it better. Another aspect that Namalsk is a very small map (if not to count the ice), but still it gives you a lot of mechanics. Like one of them is frostbite when you walk for some time in wet clothing, and it is permanent (drops your max health). So even if you get frostbite it makes your character special, especially if you played it like for a week, plus you will remember how you got that frostbite. Similar to this on vanilla is kuru illness, it also makes you char special, but ppl don't like it much as the laugh gives away your presence. Anyway, good luck with the map, hope you'll be able to shadow Namalsk. 

Edited by JerseyD