Sign in to follow this  
Hellobyedie

Item Durability Segmentation

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

I did not find any similar topics, so I decided to start a discussion.
I often recruit new players to DayZ and teach them to play for the first 100 hours. My hour pool is nearly 3k, but...
Recently I started to experience some unplanned random item quality issues, that includes durability reduction, and, as a result - item quality state changes.
As we all know we try to comply with WORN or PRISTINE quality state of items, especially weapons due to jamming chance while using it.
I met certain problem that persist through that I do not know the percentage of "life" that item has on the usage moment.
You cannot control the WORN->DAMAGED transition progress during active usage due to unavailable promotion to PRISTINE state or maintaining WORN state permanently without transition to DAMAGED state.
This goes according to the laws of vanilla game mechanics.

The thing is that results of item usage DRASTICALY change after sequential transition from WORN to DAMAGED quality state and can affect gameplay in most unpredictable ways.

As an example:
During one gunfight your pistol can transfer from WORN to DAMAGED and by any bad luck you can get your gun jammed after the next shot you take in DAMAGED weapon state. Very bad luck, but what can I say - it's DayZ.

Problem solution:
My suggestion lies in direct division of WORN state to similar BARELY WORN, WELL WORN, BADLY WORN, so the total line up of item states will look like:

PRISTINE -> BARELY WORN -> WELL WORN -> BADLY WORN -> DAMAGED -> BADLY DAMAGED -> RUINED.

Failing chance for the 3 new "WORN" states should be same as for current WORN state and durability for each must be 1/3 of the current WORN state. 
Color indicator won't be affected and will be the same for all of the new "WORN" states.
It wont affect gameplay and won't give any advantages for the players but it will significantly increase awareness for the repair and maintenance.
As a human I can evaluate quality state of certain things with superficial inspection and I totally think this will help to maintain and develop further gaming experience in a better ways.

Thank you for your attention and have a good day!

Edited by Hellobyedie