toformanedgeorborder

Has anyone reached the edge of the world yet?

Hi all, 

I was just putting some feelers out to see if anyone has actually reached the edge of the map yet? Does it exist?

I'd love to know! 

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2024 at 12:50 PM, toformanedgeorborder said:

Hi all, 

I was just putting some feelers out to see if anyone has actually reached the edge of the map yet? Does it exist?

I'd love to know! 

Mate I will open small truth for you but shhhhhh it's only for you.

The map is basically almost unlimited except the watter line.ax range from coast up to edge of map is about 23 or 32 km (sorry was there too long time ago).

On other side from the coast to the top of the map it will end of wilderness empty ground, no forests water grass or whatever only the landscape. In Arma 3 on Chernarus map I'd flyed about 25 km out from end (edge) of the map and met the "radioactive zone" and then became dead.

Idk how is it for DayZ SA, maybe someday I'll check it but not now.

😄

I have run the entire top of the map. Nothing to see there. Go out too far and you die.  Lots of players use it to get to Tisy without wolves and bears. 

There is a secret island about a 75 minutes swin NE... Smallish but fun to get to. Bring food if you go there...

From what I tried (but it was a few patches ago, something might have changed).
*) Beyond the map, where there is terrain, you find the "map base" (hills and valleys without any added trees, bushes or grass) almost endlessly. IF you try with an administration tool and try to fly, you can increase the speed of the flight and fly (perhaps) infinitely and always find the same situation below you: hills and valleys with nothing else. I've never understood if it's a "closed loop" or what, but I imagine so, otherwise how much should an infinite map weigh and for nothing (because it's basically unusable).
*) If you go beyond the map towards the sea... you will not find the "end of map", but only an infinite sea. The few times I tried, from a bird's eye view and with the speed greatly increased... same situation as on the ground: below me the same thing "seems" to infinity. I think a "loop" not a real map.           
*) If you go beyond the map on foot, where there is terrain, you can go wherever you want, you don't die "on time" but only from hunger or thirst.
*) Same thing towards the sea if you try swimming. You can swim endlessly until you die of hunger, thirst, or cold (in the case of the sea). However you DON'T drown. Now that the "management of cold at sea" has changed, I believe that there are no clothes even to try the "Debug Island". Too bad, it was an adventure worth trying. This sea modification was NOT a good one, even if we were at the North/South Pole. They could at least exclude firefighter clothes from this.
*) If you try a vehicle off-map, as soon as you put the wheels on it, they explode. You can get out and leave, but you don't move the vehicle. Now I don't know, now it can be moved, it seems to me... However the vehicle should remain functional.
*) Indeed bears (and I think every other AI) stop at the border line between the constructed map and the "off-map". It can be convenient to go north, from the western side of the map, avoiding the bears if you don't have enough weapons to face them, or you don't want to "make a mess".
I recommend walking on the tree line anyway and considering "off the map" only as an eventuality for an encounter with a bear... because you could encounter a human and, if you walk in the "bare" part of the map, you would be a target from far, far away. 😉

I don't remember anything else at the moment... but I renew the suggestion to try for yourself with Arkensor's mod "DayZ Community Offline Mode". It's a mod that all players, especially new ones (and those who don't have a personal server), should try at least once... the ability to try and test a bit of everything is a huge help in understanding the game, the its dynamics and the map in general.
Try it, you won't regret it... 😉

The empty world outside the regular map area is procedurally generated terrain, meaning nothing of it is physically stored in the game files but built on the fly by a small piece of code.

In theory, this generator could make random, never-repeating, terrain for thousands of kilometres in all directions, but at some point the game engine and your computer will simply fail to process such massive numbers, and crash or glitch out. If I recall correctly, on foot this limit is at about one or two hundred km before your character just falls through the ground into the void.