MrGreek

Something that I feel is necessary...

I really don't feel that starting every survivor out with nothing except a flashlight and medical supplies is a very good idea. For instance, say someone is driving through the countryside and is shot through the windshield by a bandit, when they respawn, they can't even pick up a rock to beat zombies with. Everyone is completely vulnerable, and players are much more likely to simply stop playing rather than scrounging around for guns, car parts, and food... Again. I feel that it would make more sense to simply add more melee weapons, and start survivors off with a random one. It gives players a fighting chance if they're not good at sneaking, and people are less likely to quit when they respawn. I'm not sure if you guys will read this, but if you do, keep on doing what you do.

Death is suppose to hit you hard, driving on a server even with few people on it, is and should be dangerous.

They will jack your ride.

As for more melee weapons, they had to actually made the melee weapon out of a gun with a very high ammo count, besides this axes are literally everywhere.

It is true you are vulnerable at the start, but you have to learn to sneak around and find ways to live without a weapon as well, where not many players would try if they had a weapon, they would run in swinging as they don't know the game.

Its supposed to be tactical, you know?

there is no need to start with anything else, even my gf, who constantly gets herself killed is fine finding her own weapons...its how the game was meant to be, hard as fuck...while yes it *would* be nice, I don't think it will be added, and if it is, then it may screw things up worse, because not only do people murdered start with a weapon, but so do hard to kill bandits....so it's a lose-lose

If they stop playing, good. This mod isn't for them then.

You are retarded if you can't find a gun/melee weapon within five to ten minutes of spawning and it really isn't that hard to sneak past zombies.

If they stop playing' date=' good. This mod isn't for them then.

You are retarded if you can't find a gun/melee weapon within five to ten minutes of spawning and it really isn't that hard to sneak past zombies.

[/quote']

This

[/quote']

Don't be a dick, it does nothing but make you look like a shit stain on the chair you sit on.

He means to new players that know nothing of Dayz that just started.

They do not know the loot spawns, how zombies exactly react to sight and sounds.

As well as not knowing they could lose zombies inside buildings or they even being forced to walk while indoors.

Aswell how very informative Deviant.

[/quote']

Don't be a dick, it does nothing but make you look like a shit stain on the chair you sit on.

He means to new players that know nothing of Dayz that just started.

They do not know the loot spawns, how zombies exactly react to sight and sounds.

As well as not knowing they could lose zombies inside buildings or they even being forced to walk while indoors.

Aswell how very informative Deviant.

So it's my fault for them not researching about Day Z beforehand. Alrighty then.

So it's my fault for them not researching about Day Z beforehand. Alrighty then.

No its your fault for always talking in a negative attitude.

Some people don't want to know where all the loot are when they start the game.

When I started it took me around 3 hours to find my first gun, I lived all those hours searching and learning the area, as well killing with an axe.

But not all players are as quick to adapt, point is, it took me awhile with no knowledge to find a gun, except for the enfield.

But I knew about the enfield beforehand from one of the videos, so I knew not to take.

Just no need to be so hostile to new players.

No its your fault for always talking in a negative attitude.

Some people don't want to know where all the loot are when they start the game.

When I started it took me around 3 hours to find my first gun' date=' I lived all those hours searching and learning the area, as well killing with an axe.

But not all players are as quick to adapt, point is, it took me awhile with no knowledge to find a gun, except for the enfield.

But I knew about the enfield beforehand from one of the videos, so I knew not to take.

Just no need to be so hostile to new players.

[/quote']

Trial and error for them then. Day Z is never going to hold your hand.

Trial and error for them then. Day Z is never going to hold your hand.

Still sense that negativity in ya, anyway your words hold no merit still.

If you want your words to have merit, use logic, why is this idea bad?

Because this is a hardcore game.

Not only that but I believe rocket even called it that.

Use that reason next time someone suggests to make the game easier.

DayZ in my opinion is headed in the right direction as far as the difficulty is concerned, as a new player your probably going to go in one of two ways:

#1 Shit a zombie is over in that field lets go nowhere near that son of a bitch...(This type will live a long time but never collect any real worthwhile loot, maybe a winchester from an isolated farm after taking a few minutes to grow some balls and go into a barn)

#2 Hell yeah a zombie... i already found this gun so i think i should shoot it because kill count matters, or at least it does in COD... (This type typically wont live more than an hour or two, just long enough to find themselves a weapon and be just stupid enough with it to kill themselves.

Players who dont quickly accept the fact that you have to run, crawl, crouch, sneak, and shoot only when needed and that conservation is key... Will not make it far and will either stop playing or complain that the game is too difficult because it isnt what they are used to.

Im not trying to call anybody a whiner or a crybaby, however the differences in this game are the very reason we play it, it really is a breath of fresh air in the gaming community. Eve Online for example has a learning curve so steep that the average player age is 26 or 27 i believe. I like that there arent tons of young kids playing this game hot mic'ing the global channel like a boss.

not really any point to this post just had to get it out of my system

DayZ is a hardcore and realistic game. That being said, you CAN use pretty much anything around you as a weapon. If you've ever been in a fight, then you would realize this. You can hit things with pretty much anything to do more damage, not to mention you can also shove people. See that piece of rebar? See that zombie? Why don't you pick up that piece of rebar and beat it over the head. I really don't understand your reasoning as to why this is a bad idea. Even something that is a breath of fresh air can get stagnant, and if you start off with nothing except a flashlight and some bandages, people are going to be confused. Yes DayZ is growing, and yes it is a good game, but eventually the tide will ebb, and then we're stuck with the thousand or so people who remember the game. The userbase is big, but it's going to need to grow, and to do that, it will have to be more accessible, I'm not talking about changing it into COD, I'm talking about beating zombies over the head with the bricks and debris that are lying everywhere.

Besides, this is just a suggestion, feel free to ignore me if that's what you want to do. I wanted constructive criticism, not "omg u guyz, dis puussy want to mahke da gayme ez".

DayZ in my opinion is headed in the right direction as far as the difficulty is concerned' date=' as a new player your probably going to go in one of two ways:

#1 Shit a zombie is over in that field lets go nowhere near that son of a bitch...(This type will live a long time but never collect any real worthwhile loot, maybe a winchester from an isolated farm after taking a few minutes to grow some balls and go into a barn)

#2 Hell yeah a zombie... i already found this gun so i think i should shoot it because kill count matters, or at least it does in COD... (This type typically wont live more than an hour or two, just long enough to find themselves a weapon and be just stupid enough with it to kill themselves.

Players who dont quickly accept the fact that you have to run, crawl, crouch, sneak, and shoot only when needed and that conservation is key... Will not make it far and will either stop playing or complain that the game is too difficult because it isnt what they are used to.

Im not trying to call anybody a whiner or a crybaby, however the differences in this game are the very reason we play it, it really is a breath of fresh air in the gaming community. Eve Online for example has a learning curve so steep that the average player age is 26 or 27 i believe. I like that there arent tons of young kids playing this game hot mic'ing the global channel like a boss.

not really any point to this post just had to get it out of my system

[/quote']

This is exactly what I said a few days ago. The kind that hits the ground and crawls on their stomach when they see a single old man zombie staggering drunkenly on the next field over, and the kind who sprint through cities because they think they need a gun RIGHT NOW.

They just need to learn to balance the play styles.

I was somewhat a #1 when I started, but I changed. And I don't even complain about not having a gun anymore. You'll get there. Every new player ever with a forum account complains about it. Just because this game isn't quite like anything they've played before.

I think it would be better to randomize the loadout for every player, since not everybody would be prepared in the event of a zombie apocalypse. You could start with absolutely nothing, not even a backpack, or, if you're lucky, a firearm, ammo, some food and a water bottle or two. To prevent abuse, you would need to be in possession of a weapon and some ammunition, if applicable, to respawn (commit suicide).

I think it would be better to randomize the loadout for every player' date=' since not everybody would be prepared in the event of a zombie apocalypse. You could start with absolutely nothing, not even a backpack, or, if you're lucky, a firearm, ammo, some food and a water bottle or two. To prevent abuse, you would need to be in possession of a weapon and some ammunition, if applicable, to respawn (commit suicide).

[/quote']

I'm okay with this.

No, and no to the random stuff unless they fix the respawning exploit. People will just keep clicking that button until they get the "best" load out, making the randomness pointless.

No' date=' and no to the random stuff unless they fix the respawning exploit. People will just keep clicking that button until they get the "best" load out, making the randomness pointless.

[/quote']

Which is why I suggested that you can only respawn if you have a weapon in your inventory. Most players would probably want to avoid the risk of respawning without a weapon.

I can find my stuff really quick, either a double barrel shotgun or an axe. After that it's uphill for me.

The best solution for ppl who want stuff shoved up their ass are too lazy to play the game and need a magic box apawned next to them to give them the best surviving chance in pvp. Come on ppl you even have an online map as an extra even without an in game map where all the sweet spots are marked, you even want a taxi to bring you there?

Sorry for speaking it like it is.

BTT

Randomizing gear can be exploited but you counter that by having a player spawn with the same gear for a whole hour regardless of how many times he tries to respawn. After the countdown is finished the player will be spawned with a different type of gear etc. With this a player either chooses to make the best of what hes got or sit it out an hour and try again and be lucky. No chance for exploiting.

Honestly, why not let people choose from several equally shitty loadouts?

I'd love to have a crowbar to start with, and would forget the rest, because I like to break into hospitals without having to fire a gun or throw tin cans at the glass until it breaks. I don't want to have to ditch a single zombie that managed to aggro me through the wall while I was prone and not moving, I want to have the option to bash his head in and not have to grab other loot and double back.

Can you really say that the choice of:

1) pack, bandage, and painkillers

2) pack and crowbar

3) pack and hunting knife

4) pack and compass

would be a bad thing?

Randomizing gear can be exploited but you counter that by having a player spawn with the same gear for a whole hour regardless of how many times he tries to respawn. After the countdown is finished the player will be spawned with a different type of gear etc. With this a player either chooses to make the best of what hes got or sit it out an hour and try again and be lucky. No chance for exploiting.

Also a good idea, and you wouldn't be able to respawn after an hour has passed if you needed a weapon to do so, although I have to wonder why you suggested a time limit. Why not make it impossible to respawn with a different loadout, no matter how much time has passed (unless you're dead, of course)?

You understood what i proposed...halfway :D

You can spawn as many times you want to but in the time frame of one hour after your first respawn you only get the equipment you had at the beginning of the countdown independant of the times you press respawn.

You die and respawn at 03:00 ( countdown starts, you get a revolver and 2 magazines and a backpack with nothing in it ), you don't want it press respawn hoping to get another gear. BAM you spawn with the same stuff until 03:59 - however at 04:00 you get a G17 with 3 mags, an alice pack with 1 bloodbag and 5 bandages ( lucky ). You die at 04:14 you get G17 with 3 mags etc... at 05:00 you get a different set...

It would be nice if the OP could clarify his idea more in the OP, because i think i like what he means, and its something that i wanted to suggest as well. Now i may be wrong, but i would personally like to start out with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! ( And if possible with a 5sec timer being knocked out... (unfortunatly you can't see yourself in 3rd person while you are knocked out, that be a nice way to start this game )

GIVEN, that some minor things are added to the beach. I would love to see:

1. Drift wood laying around (if not possible than a spawn for this off of boats), 10 shots then it breaks.

2. Empty Plastic bottles (with a chance to find one with a cap on it), with cap is a small drink, aka. half a canteen, if you can find water.

3. A rare spawn in the form of a 'fishnet' that can be turned into a tarp in the forest.

Then seeing you start out with nothing, some basic things should be easier to find, and this will require MORE spawnpoints for MORE items.

Basic rubble:

- plank

- steel pipe

- rags (for basic bandage with 70% infection chance)

* infection to clear with antibiotics or hunting knife (turning it to bleeding - which can then be bandaged up again 'clean' or with another rag giving another shot.

* boild a rag in a water filled tin can over a fire to get a bandage.

- Bricks, throw to make a sound, or bash a zombie.

Dust bins:

- find used lighters (giving a random amount of flames, 1 to 5)

- find rags

- Civilian backpack (4 slots)

houses, we deffo need more enterable structures:

- bandages

- painkillers

- flares

- Larger backpacks (8 slots) small chance on 10 slot

Barns:

- Shovels

- Hatchets

- Hunting rifles & crossbows (normal bow?)

- Basic toolset, can only build certain structures with it, and limited repair

*FOREST*

- Have certain trees 'give' a branch to swing with, or to use as a 'waking stick' if one has a broken limb.

- Let fire wood be made into a splint with a hatched or the hunting knife. Given you have some rags to turn it into one.

Well etc and so on, See, while this game focusses a lot on Fear & Frustration, it feels like it's forgetting the 'thrill' of finding something, aka REWARD. Survival is a lot about constantly improving your 'kit' (aka. everything you carry around), while dealing with a limited space, and using everything you can that you find, and having multiple ways to deal with things.

Currently the 'everything' you can find is lacking 'a lot', and there are only a few ways to deal with situations (breaking bones f/e is still a mistery to me, and picking up that i supposed to get morphine for it, the only place i know for that is a city, which i would rather avoid! ) ...

I also miss the thrill of comming across something realy usefull and that 'upgrades' my 'kit' in a sense that i feel i improved myself a little bit. Basically the things in the game that give me that 'finally cool loot' feeling are the Hatched; then having 2 bandages and 4 makarov mags, having 2 cans of food and 2 drinks, a filled canteen, and finding a gun of any sorts has basically left me going 'hmm meh, it feels good to have it, but it also gives great a risk' and i prefer having a handgun and hatched) while i did get that feeling when i managed to get into a town and finally found a bigger pack & figure out how to pick it up, unfortunatly i didn't get to enjoy it long and i hope the player that likely took it from me didn't get to enjoy it long either :P )

So esp. those first couple if items, mostly the driftwood, would realy give people that first sense of relief. OK I FOUND SOMETHING!! 10 swings (make it 3 to kill a zed) if i run into a zed i can atleast defend myself somewhat. Then from there on having people find things that improve themselves actually makes the 'reward' count.

And the more the environment feels like it's usable, the more a feeling of living off the land gets applied to it. 'Crafting' can be a part of that as long as it's embedded in 'believability' (for not wanting to use 'realism'), it doesn't have to turn into L4D as L4D does that already, but being a bit of a survival 'geek' i personally try to put myself into emaginairy situations with limited resources and try to come up with the stuff i need to survive without zombies obviously. The amount of things you can do with a basic branch are almost limitless, in DayZ i have yet to be able to pick one up!

Lastly, more spawns & more items means more exploring, finding more basic things or just trash (which can hopefully be turned into something, or be used for something, slightly usefull at some point), with less chance on finding something realy cool, which then ofcourse increases the joy of finding that realy cool thing. And this does what a lot of people are asking for as well, which is less easy access to very usefull/deadly stuff.

It may make survival for the newbs a bit easier, but most 'complain' it's already to easy to survive (i haven't noticed, but then i don't spoil the game for myself by checking full blown loot maps etc), so making it a tad easier for people to get through those first 15min is no big deal (if you feel you are good enough already, just leave that trash laying around on the beach and head straight into town). And if the things you find in shore towns are the basic things you need (civilian backpacks, rags, bandages, painkillers, food, drinks, and trash, with the added chance of finding a better weapon. Then you will feel you got your basics covered, which obviously feels like the game just started, which is, well what i did by giving you nothing to start out with and giving you a bit more things to find... )

I'm fairly sure I understood your proposal, I'm just wondering why players should be allowed to respawn with a new loadout after one hour. Why not make it so that they can only get a new loadout if they die (and by this I mean any death that is not caused by clicking the respawn button)? That would effectively make it impossible to abuse a random loadout feature, unless you purposefully aggro zombies or goad a player into killing you.

EDIT: If all else fails, you could remove the respawn option, but I don't suppose people would enjoy getting stuck in a glitch or spawning in debug plains without the ability to respawn.