Sign in to follow this  
King Arawn

Character Attributes/Perks!

One aspect of the game I had mulled over recently was regarding character creation. You are currently able to customise your character’s appearance and clothing with a small number of set-defaults… but what about character attributes?

Alongside clothing, gender and ethnicity etc. perhaps the game could give you simple attributes to apply to your character too, prior to spawning in? It may ask you what your character’s skills or profession was prior to the Zombie apocalypse, this will be seen as an “Attributes” selection screen.

Your perks are budgeted, with different value levels for each. For example, you have a budget of 5 points with the below perks available to apply:

- Forager - Ability to find more wild mushrooms and fruit. (1 point)

- Physician - Able to get more use out of single bandages. (2 points)

- Fur Trapper - Ability to craft insulated clothing from various animal pelts. (3 points)

- Olympian - Able to carry heavier weights without as much sacrifice to stamina. (5 points)

- Carpenter - Ability to build walls with less nails and plank supplies. (1 point)

- Scrounger - Able to scavenge more bullets from military sites. (3 points)

- Stalker - Lowers your possibility of detection from zombies, predators and prey. (2 points)

- Sprinter - Sprinting for longer distances uses less stamina. (4 points)

- Drifter - Takes longer for the cold to make you sick. (3 points)

- Angler - Takes less time to catch both salt and fresh water fish. (1 point)

- Butcher - More meat is yielded from the Skinning and quartering of animals. (2 points)

- Sniper - When looking down scope, your firearm sway decreases the longer you aim. (5 points)

- Boxer - Melee hits deal more damage and waking from unconsciousness is faster. (3 points)

- Mechanic - Ability to scavenge more vehicle parts from garages and gas stations. (1 point)

- Pickpocket - Ability to steal items (4 slots or smaller) from other player’s inventory when they’re stationary. (2 points)

- Hunter - Animal calls can be heard at longer distances. (1 point)

- Tailor - Able to get more use out of leather sewing kits, sewing kits etc. when repairing clothing. (1 point)

- Vexilologist - The ability to craft flags from rags. (1 point)

- Farmer - Vegetables planted grow faster and yield more food once picked. (1 point)

- Actor - The ability to walk and run like a zombie (whilst using the activated gesture/emote). (5 points)

- Hoarder - Can carry more items in your inventory (4 additional slots available in each item of clothing). (3 points)

- Cannibal - You are immune from Brain Prion Disease (Kuru) when consuming human steaks. (2 points)

Any thoughts? Any additions? Are there any which need amending or taking away?

Thanks!

I don't think it's necessary.

It's rare these days that a game doesn't have what you propose. DayZ is better for it, IMO.

Currently, advantages come from game experience/knowledge, not circumstantial perks. 

That's how I feel anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RZ0R said:

I don't think it's necessary.

It's rare these days that a game doesn't have what you propose. DayZ is better for it, IMO.

Currently, advantages come from game experience/knowledge, not circumstantial perks. 

That's how I feel anyway.

Absolutely get what you mean. DayZ ain’t that kind of game. Though, I would like to craft Bear pelt into “Mountain man” style clothing ala Fur Trapper perk! Ha! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, King Arawn said:

Absolutely get what you mean. DayZ ain’t that kind of game. Though, I would like to craft Bear pelt into “Mountain man” style clothing ala Fur Trapper perk! Ha! 

And you totally should be able to! As we all should. It's weird that the pelts have little use in this survival game... hoping for the future.

Absolutely not. This is not call of duty or any of those garbage character games like rainbow six. 

40 minutes ago, Sean_87__ said:

Absolutely not. This is not call of duty or any of those garbage character games like rainbow six. 

In my defence, I’ve not played those kinds of games for about 12 years! 
When I say “perks”, I really mean very minimal character attributes, nothing radical.

My idea isn’t perfect, but say you want to play a particular way, maybe you would pick a certain couple of attributes to better suit a “nomad, in the wilderness” play style, more dependant on the land over urban areas? It really would be minimal. Like the “Drifter” perk I listed would make you last a few minutes longer in the cold, unforgiving elements. Nothing overpowered.

Edited by King Arawn

2 hours ago, King Arawn said:

In my defence, I’ve not played those kinds of games for about 12 years! 
When I say “perks”, I really mean very minimal character attributes, nothing radical.

My idea isn’t perfect, but say you want to play a particular way, maybe you would pick a certain couple of attributes to better suit a “nomad, in the wilderness” play style, more dependant on the land over urban areas? It really would be minimal. Like the “Drifter” perk I listed would make you last a few minutes longer in the cold, unforgiving elements. Nothing overpowered.

I suppose DayZ kind of has this in the 'softskills' mechanic that doesn't actually work. If you play in a particular way, you become more proficient in certain skills. I think that works. They could get it working and perhaps expand upon it a bit.