damca

Do the devs actually read this forum?

On 10/19/2023 at 8:30 PM, lakevu said:

this is very true. but let me ask you this. can you blame them?

the player controller is built for fast easy gameplay with the way you character turns to how stupid the gunplay is.

can you blame them for just simply following the logic of the base game? making it consistent with what is already there?

What you talking bout Willis? They are COD and battlefield players with short attention spans. Those players think official is too hard. It has nothing to do with a controller.

14 hours ago, Sean_87__ said:

What you talking bout Willis? They are COD and battlefield players with short attention spans. Those players think official is too hard. It has nothing to do with a controller.

no i understand but the way the game is built just amplifies the problem and actual makes it so those changes are CONGRUENT with the total game. which just gives them an even bigger incentive to do it because thats basically what the game is already.

so what do i mean by this beyond abstractions?

if you look at the current player controller or aka "how your player reacts, handles and moves. it is all very synonymous with call of duty actions. immediate direct changes. very quickly going from standing to lying down. NO TURN SPEED LIMITER! and you see that the core of the game is meant to be catered to this gameplay style. which then in turn makes it so these, high loot, unlimited stamina etc etc bullshit servers are not as outlandish as they should be. because they are CONGRUENT with the soul core of the game currently.

it is the logical conclusion to what is in the game right now.

34 minutes ago, lakevu said:

no i understand but the way the game is built just amplifies the problem and actual makes it so those changes are CONGRUENT with the total game. which just gives them an even bigger incentive to do it because thats basically what the game is already.

so what do i mean by this beyond abstractions?

if you look at the current player controller or aka "how your player reacts, handles and moves. it is all very synonymous with call of duty actions. immediate direct changes. very quickly going from standing to lying down. NO TURN SPEED LIMITER! and you see that the core of the game is meant to be catered to this gameplay style. which then in turn makes it so these, high loot, unlimited stamina etc etc bullshit servers are not as outlandish as they should be. because they are CONGRUENT with the soul core of the game currently.

it is the logical conclusion to what is in the game right now.

That has nothing to do with a controller. Any type of game can be played with controller. I don’t get what you are even trying to argue at this point. You don’t make any sense.

1 hour ago, Sean_87__ said:

That has nothing to do with a controller. Any type of game can be played with controller. I don’t get what you are even trying to argue at this point. You don’t make any sense.

actually the controller does have an effect on how you play a game.

i dont know if you ever played arma 2 but imagine playing that with a controller. it would either be completely impossible with the lack of controls available or it just wouldnt feel the same because of the complete lack of accurancy allowed with the controls. that being thumbsticks vs mouse.

because the controller is so "casual" and easy to use and comfortable it is very difficult to have a "serious" experience while playing a game. definitely not as serious when you are on the computer. 

but the controller is completely secondary to the systems in the game currently. because the systems are still used on pc aswell. and you can see if you play pc this same pattern presents itself in the servers available right now. where they are all retarded, high loot, unlimited stam and compltely "unserious" levels of play.

but why is this? why is this the pattern? because that is the game it is now because of the systems inside of it. one of the most important systems being how the player controller moves, behaves and feels. which just simply is not CONGRUENT to a serious sense of experience.

ive actually written a post about this right below this one titles "dayz's flawed foundations: movement and gunplay". where i talk about this alot more what i am saying here and why i explain that because of the games current systems it can not be the hardcore zombie survival simulator it was always meant to be. and which it's IDENTITY is based upon.

On 10/22/2023 at 2:19 AM, lakevu said:

actually the controller does have an effect on how you play a game.

i dont know if you ever played arma 2 but imagine playing that with a controller. it would either be completely impossible with the lack of controls available or it just wouldnt feel the same because of the complete lack of accurancy allowed with the controls. that being thumbsticks vs mouse.

because the controller is so "casual" and easy to use and comfortable it is very difficult to have a "serious" experience while playing a game. definitely not as serious when you are on the computer. 

but the controller is completely secondary to the systems in the game currently. because the systems are still used on pc aswell. and you can see if you play pc this same pattern presents itself in the servers available right now. where they are all retarded, high loot, unlimited stam and compltely "unserious" levels of play.

but why is this? why is this the pattern? because that is the game it is now because of the systems inside of it. one of the most important systems being how the player controller moves, behaves and feels. which just simply is not CONGRUENT to a serious sense of experience.

ive actually written a post about this right below this one titles "dayz's flawed foundations: movement and gunplay". where i talk about this alot more what i am saying here and why i explain that because of the games current systems it can not be the hardcore zombie survival simulator it was always meant to be. and which it's IDENTITY is based upon.

I completely disagree with your premise.

2 hours ago, Sean_87__ said:

I completely disagree with your premise.

can you explain to me what you believe the premise is?

2 hours ago, lakevu said:

can you explain to me what you believe the premise is?

bro I tried to read all of your messages but I still do not understand, are you mad with the controls, with the servers or with the devs? if you are mad at all of them it's  useless writing all here, nothing will change

Edited by I like doing great suggestions

3 hours ago, I like doing great suggestions said:

bro I tried to read all of your messages but I still do not understand, are you mad with the controls, with the servers or with the devs? if you are mad at all of them it's  useless writing all here, nothing will change

well i hope that by writing i may do something to change this. that i might be able to persuade to make the game as good as it use to be. to have the same level of "soul" and "experience" that the game was when it was arma 2. 

a great part of which is the devs, the ideas they hold and even the controls that all have a play into why the game is the way it is now and what i would describe as an "arrested" state than it could be.

6 hours ago, lakevu said:

well i hope that by writing i may do something to change this. that i might be able to persuade to make the game as good as it use to be. to have the same level of "soul" and "experience" that the game was when it was arma 2. 

a great part of which is the devs, the ideas they hold and even the controls that all have a play into why the game is the way it is now and what i would describe as an "arrested" state than it could be.

Well I didn't play dayz when it was an arma 2 mod but even now I feel fear anxiety and excitement when I play it,I have a 2 year experience so I know every item in the game, but I still need to learn the map better, btw what was better then? you mean that dayz then was more a game made with compassion or a better game? 

On 10/24/2023 at 8:15 AM, I like doing great suggestions said:

Well I didn't play dayz when it was an arma 2 mod but even now I feel fear anxiety and excitement when I play it,I have a 2 year experience so I know every item in the game, but I still need to learn the map better, btw what was better then? you mean that dayz then was more a game made with compassion or a better game? 

i would argue arma 2 dayz was a complete better game. it was more intense. more scary. more surreal.  im not saying that the current game is terrible because it does have things better than the old game. but as two products put against eachother arma 2 IS the better experience

and yes i think the mod was made with LOADS more passion than the game is right now. just for example the creators of the mod use to stay up night and day scouring the forums talking to people and spent loads of hours thinking of ideas to improve the game to be the best zombie survival simulator it could be. nothing like we see right now where its barely got a pulse.

12 hours ago, lakevu said:

i would argue arma 2 dayz was a complete better game. it was more intense. more scary. more surreal.  im not saying that the current game is terrible because it does have things better than the old game. but as two products put against eachother arma 2 IS the better experience

and yes i think the mod was made with LOADS more passion than the game is right now. just for example the creators of the mod use to stay up night and day scouring the forums talking to people and spent loads of hours thinking of ideas to improve the game to be the best zombie survival simulator it could be. nothing like we see right now where its barely got a pulse.

Well you're right, I'd like to see some developers thanking us for ours suggestions but they don't because they're searching something "different", something that the community doesn't want so much, because the repeated suggestions are useless in their opinion, and if you are an og of dayz I can't say anything because I was not there

Edited by I like doing great suggestions

On 10/22/2023 at 2:19 AM, lakevu said:

That is a great thread you've created,

Just know there's some console players out there that agree with a lot you say and ideas you have,

Just let me touch on controller a little, the look speed and aim speed on controller can be fine tuned independently,

Vertical and horizontal can be fine tuned independently,

Curvature can be fine tuned independently,

It was not always this way and DayZ use to be way harder on a controller a overly sensitive jittery mess it has came a long way.

Also console can use m&k we just can't remap keys.

As for all the advance controls Arma 2 had so much more can be implemented on a controller via key binds or simply expanded menus via d-pad with added player functions,

in that regard I disagree controller not holding the game back, devs holding the game back not implementing more game functions via controls.

Edited by Drift13b88

On 10/19/2023 at 3:20 PM, Sean_87__ said:

The problem with community servers is they are all on easy mode. Most community servers on PlayStation are 3rd person, infinite sprint, tons of loot.

You are right vanilla or hardcore community servers are far and few between on xbox too.

Boosted loot, non tiered progression loot, infinite stamina, unlimited breath holding, infinite power attacking, raid times, base damage on and off times, base ping radar via discord, heatmaps, bounty tracking, traders, item or resource spawns via donations, and so much more is:

Absolutely cringe, easy mode and nothing but crutches to cater to the casuals, takes away fear of death, attachment to life, loot or tactics, apocalyptic feel or survival simulation.

It makes me sick the vast majority play servers like this console and pc...

@lakevu Is spot on with a lot he says and has great ideas to make DayZ great again.

Edited by Drift13b88

30 minutes ago, Drift13b88 said:

You are right vanilla or hardcore community servers are far and few between on xbox too.

Boosted loot, non tiered progression loot, infinite stamina, unlimited breath holding, infinite power attacking, raid times, base damage on and off times, base ping radar via discord, heatmaps, bounty tracking, traders, item or resource spawns via donations, and so much more is:

Absolutely cringe, easy mode and nothing but crutches to cater to the casuals, takes away fear of death, attachment to life, loot or tactics, apocalyptic feel or survival simulation.

@lakevu Is spot on with a lot he says and has great ideas to make DayZ great again.

I have a list on here as well.

14 hours ago, I like doing great suggestions said:

Well you're right, I'd like to see some developers thanking us for ours suggestions but they don't because they're searching something "different", something that the community doesn't want so much, because the repeated suggestions are useless in their opinion, and if you are an og of dayz I can't say anything because I was not there

im not saying anything like that. like coming in here and "thanking us" but just being in here like the old guys use to do would be nice and just actually show that they care even a little bit about this. because its not the same as a "community manager" than actual people responsible for making the game. it just isnt.

and yeah man i cant state how bad i feel for you that you didnt play arma 2. it is literally the statue of david when it comes to video games. everything at every single level just fell into place for that game. truly a aesthetically aswell as atmospheric masterpiece in gaming. you should really go watch frankies old videos on youtube if you want to get a glimpse into what that game truly offered as an experience.

8 hours ago, Drift13b88 said:

That is a great thread you've created,

Just know there's some console players out there that agree with a lot you say and ideas you have,

Just let me touch on controller a little, the look speed and aim speed on controller can be fine tuned independently,

Vertical and horizontal can be fine tuned independently,

Curvature can be fine tuned independently,

It was not always this way and DayZ use to be way harder on a controller a overly sensitive jittery mess it has came a long way.

Also console can use m&k we just can't remap keys.

As for all the advance controls Arma 2 had so much more can be implemented on a controller via key binds or simply expanded menus via d-pad with added player functions,

in that regard I disagree controller not holding the game back, devs holding the game back not implementing more game functions via controls.

i see

i personally have never played dayz on console but from what ive seen its complete garbage and on the same level as any cod game that is ported to the Wii.

i am skeptical when you say that controller is holding the game back and for 2 reasons.

1.) thumbsticks just arent as conducive to real like than a mouse. the accuracy is far lower than you would be able to reasonably achieve in real life.

2.) the amount of buttons. there is just less buttons which extremely hamper the amount of control you can exert on the game. which naturally leads the game to becoming "simplistic" simply because that is all the controller allows. it is just an inherent effect of having less control space. Which to prove this i advise you to think about what arma 2 would feel like on a controller vs how you feel with a keyboard. does the controller inherently feel more "casual" and "simple" compared to the keyboard. because that is the mental effect controllers have on gaming naturally because of their ergonomic design. "casual" and "easy to use"

8 hours ago, Drift13b88 said:

it is unfortunate yes but i think this is more a problem because of the standard of the current game which naturally pushes people in that direction than willfully wanting to pursue those experiences.

so people just dont know any better or at the least cant envision a higher ideal of what "could be" or what they are missing out on. so they take what they are given and settle and accept it as an absolute. it takes alot of work to analyze the game and identify its short comings nevermind trying to envision a better version in your head about how things could be better.

! - Make dayz great again!

Posted (edited)
On 9/8/2023 at 4:53 PM, Kyiara said:

Going through a lot of channels, what I've learned is that you simply can't make everyone happy. I believe that in many cases, people would just argue about what is better or worse based on personal preferences, often without considering the wider context.

It is not about making everyone happy. It is about sticking with the identity of the game. 
To stick with the identity of the game, you have to follow some rules and those rules don't care about anyone being happy or not.
Valuing what the audience like instead of valuing sticking with the identity of the content is the first major step to betray the identity of our content and by extension, our audience.

I'm not entirely sure how "drastically" things have changed, as we both know that certain things mentioned here are simply not true (e.g., a 10-minute sprint, zero recoil, etc.), but I think I understand what you were trying to say.

I ask people here who are defending the matter to make an effort into being accurate in the given information to avoid miscommunications, misinterpretations and interpretations of exaggerations.
What was meant here is that there's no inconveniences (for example: affected weapon sway) when sprinting and stopping to aim and even a total absence of sway when you hold breath. This is among the very least of the inconveniences for a content that is officially described as authentic and unforgiving because this aspect here goes against the official description. Here again, for the least to say.

What I am thinking is:
If the things that were changed for worse (in your opinion or few other players here) were not changed, do you think DayZ would become as big as it did in the past few months?

You are asking this question to the wrong one because getting DayZ big at all costs is the main problem here.
"I don't cater to anyone to please, I unapologetically stick with my identity and the official description. You either get on with it or I show you the door."
Sometimes you have to lose.
DayZ had that charm of not being for everyone and was already big while honest in that. Let it stay in its place, develop its potential in its own path and don't try to "please everyone" for more financial gains.

Because most of the mentioned changes were done before the player base got bigger. Obviously we don't know, this is just a guess. But if it would be the reason, there is a possibility that If the game would not be so successful now, could there be further development maintained?

Don't be afraid to be alone. Just stick with the identity and the official description of the game. Some might go and some might come.

Had those changes have impact on that?

Yes it did. We're discussing it here and elsewhere.

I don't want to say that the game has to adapt to be successful - like listening only to certain feedback, not the core players etc. I actually know it's not the case because this team values all the players and specially those that are with the game for all those years. But there is so much to the development. 

Yet, you still wrote it above. You put arguments about success being about adapting the game to the wide audience. The engagement of the player rather than the content.
You are focusing on the big wide audience approach and you relate success to that aspect instead of sticking with the identity of the content.

This team is truly listening to the feedback and evaluating all decisions. Some may not agree with the direction but I am not sure If there was a clear direction at the beginning, or more of a vision that could not be fully realised.

DayZ lacks a solid direction in sticking with its identity, its official description and its roots.

I mean, the game was a mod. I believe that all of you here are playing this game probably for years and that already means something. It actually means A LOT. It for sure means a lot to us,

Thank you for your kind words but I judge by actions. 

but maybe it's also showing that the game is not "that bad" after all.

The "not that bad after all" depend on the type of audience you are attracting. If we push our content into arcadness (for lack of better term but I think you'll get it). It will sure have its audience too because this audience doesn't know any better.
Do we ever ask questions about statistics and try to understand what they hide and mean with depth or we're just celebrating numbers regardless of anything else? Do we ask ourselves "who are we attracting?" "Who is this audience that DayZ is now attracting?" and "what did DayZ do or didn't do to attract and keep attracting this audience?"  

So my question is, If certain changes that some of you don't like hadn't happened, would the game still be where it is now?

Again, you value success by the wide audience and numbers at all costs.

Were those changes really that bad that you would not enjoy the gameplay anymore?

My subjective threshold and enjoyment is irrelevant. Sticking with the identity and the official description of the content is. It's up to me as part of an audience to cater to that. Don't meet me half-way and don't try to cater to me otherwise you'll compromise yourself.

Does something small, like a pink hip pack, actually make the game worse?

Video game concept art is one of the most important aspects of game development. It's responsible for setting the tone and style of a game and can be used to communicate the game's vision to the rest of the team and by extension, the extended audience.

Yes it does and more than we think. 

Last but not least. I am not in position to say who is right or wrong, I am also very causal player that is hardly complaining about game changes (in all games I play), because I am trying to understand the development team and the reasons behind their steps. I mean, which studio or gaming company would like to go against their players? What would be the benefit from that? 😉

Bohemia Interactive is already gone against its players by simply not sticking to the official description (authentic and unforgiving) by removing and not working on things that are related to this aspect and by extension, the identity for financial benefits. 
Bohemia Interactive have done many great things for DayZ (fixing, adding content, etc) that I'm grateful for but many other things out of place that betray its identity and this need to be addressed. 

But please, keep providing the feedback; we will always appreciate it, even if you feel like no one is listening or no one cares. Trust me, we care, and your feedback will always be valuable to us. There just might not be the right place and time to make such changes. But it will always remain being considered.

Thank you.
The potential for DayZ can be greater than this. Please start by following the rule of going on par with its official description and don't forget its roots.
I'm thinking of putting suggestions threads soon and explaining with as much detail as I can think of why and how it will affect the game and I was wondering if devs do actually read this forum.
That's what brought me to this thread.

Edited by Presence-
  • Beans 1

Posted (edited)
On 9/7/2023 at 10:58 AM, lakevu said:

i agree. but what allowed this? how is this allowed to continue to happen without outrage?

because dayz lacks a firm understanding of its own identity and what "it" really is.

and because of that it is allowed to get away with casualizing gameplay and arcadizing the game because nobody made the argument and proved it that dayz is a hardcore zombie survival simulator. not a shooter.

if dayz had a more concrete identity of what it IS then it would be irrefutable and undeniable that these choices are not what SHOULD be.

Hi Lakevu, 

While I want to see more authentic, unforgiving, horror, survival, post-apocalyptic elements implemented in DayZ and no infestation of arcadness (including those that you mentioned: movements and gunplay, etc) I might disagree with you on the claimed part that DayZ is a simulator. (though I might not know that the original idea might be but let's proceed to continue reading to try to understand this because I might find myself unsurprisingly agreeing with you on the accurate matter that DayZ should be a simulator).

I promise you. I'd definitely want it to be a simulator too and I do firmly believe that it would tremendously and absolutely enhance its experience (at least for me) but to my knowledge, it is not what Bohemia Interactive describe it in their official website.

I do not criticise Bohemia Interactive unfairly on this because they do not market it as a simulator.

Can you provide me the proof that DayZ is officially described as a simulator?

We also need as much matter as we can about physics simulations that have been degraded by Bohemia Interactive later on, at least with videos, etc.
Because the unfortunate part is that everything that you talk about can be cowardly claimed as hypothesis or subjective preferences by those who don't have any gain from it.

Until then, the defence of Bohemia Interactive innocent until proven guilty is applied.

However, I think that pushing more for authenticity, horror, brutal, unforgiving, survival and post-apocalyptic aspects are currently easily justified because the official description of DayZ is: 

• "DayZ is a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, players follow a single goal: Survive by any mean necessary."

DayZ | Official website

• "Embark on an unforgiving journey in DayZ's Frostline Expansion, set within the icy Sakhal archipelago, covering 83km² of winter wilderness."

DayZ | Official website

• "The post-soviet country of Chernarus is struck by an unknown virus, turning the majority population into frenzied infected. Fighting over resources has bred a hostile mentality among survivors, driving what’s left of humanity to collapse. You are one of the few immune to the virus - how far will you go to survive?
  • DayZ is an unforgiving, authentic, open world sandbox online game where each one of 60 players on a server follows a single goal - to survive as long as they can, by all means necessary."

GENRE: fps, survival                                                       DEVELOPER: Bohemia Interactive

• Welcome to Chernarus. A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease. Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive. This is Day Z - This is your story. DayZ was created by Dean "Rocket" Hall, and is a trademark of Bohemia Interactive

Details About DayZ - Official Facebook page

• Authentic, open world multiplayer survival game. Developed by Bohemia Interactive.

- Official Facebook page

I too find Bohemia Interactive is still too complacent, very soft and most of time even incongruent with its own official description and there's still a tremendous amount of things to do about it but let's keep things honest and accurate, question ourselves too and let's not judge Bohemia unfairly by using the word simulator for DayZ

If a game simulates something, it is indeed a simulation as well because a game is what you make it to be (to the margin of the systems possibilities) but our unfortunate matter is that DayZ is not officially described and marketed as a simulation.

We can only be grateful if simulation elements are implemented in DayZ but we can not blame and bash Bohemia Interactive for not doing it.

However, we can read two words in the official description of DayZ: authentic and unforgiving
Authenticity: Realistic works strive to depict reality as accurately as possible, avoiding idealizations or exaggerations.

Dean Hall, best known for coming up with the idea created DayZ that was originally a mod from the roots of ARMA II 
ARMA II is officially described and marketed as: "Built upon over 10 years' of experience, Arma 2 thrusts gamers into the heart of the most realistic military combat simulation ever developed, featuring the vast, detailed Chernarus and Takistan environments, and a massive library of authentically modeled units, weapons and vehicles. Enjoy a wide variety of official and unofficial single- and multiplayer content, ranging from large-scale co-operative missions to total modifications such as DayZ. Arma 2 opens the door to one of the most dedicated community in gaming.

GENRE: TACTICAL SHOOTER                     DEVELOPER: Bohemia Interactive              RELEASE DATE: June 9, 2009           PLATFORMS: windows pc

1. Did the modification DayZ originally came as a simulator? Was it ever? Was it intended to be? Does it need to be to be congruent with its official description? Was the mod itself complex enough to be a survival simulator? Was the legacy versions like the 0.62 complex enough to be a simulator later on?

One thing for sure: DayZ came from a system that is officially described and marketed as the most realistic military combat simulation ever developed

That is one of the reasons why I encourage Bohemia Interactive to put a strong foot and focus on the realistic implementations for DayZ regarding of the liking of any audience with its tuppenny.
Because it is on par with its identity, its official descriptions and its roots.

Dean Hall said in an interview that the idea of DayZ is to be realistic but he choose to avoid the word realistic because people will come and say that the infected are not realistic. That's how he preferred to use the word "authentic".
The infected and the unknown virus are just a vehicle of what drove the world to collapse but everything else is realistic. The realism of everything else is crucial because that's the intrigue of the post-apocalypse. That's the sub-genre and the market spoke for it even when it was unstable with a lot of issues, bugs, etc. There's a market for it and not just for DayZ but for the sub-genre itself.

Following this, the infestation of arcadness (for lack of better term) should not stay in DayZ and we should get rid of it as much as we can because it does not stick to its official description. 

I can confidently argue that there's many aspects in DayZ that are too forgiving and inauthentic. (This includes movement and gunplay that have been mentioned here) those are just a couple of examples and there's still tremendously more in this matter to be addressed. 

This leads us to another question: 

1. Can authentic content stick to its identity without being a simulation?

I too conclude that the modern ideal of authenticity does not lend itself to a coherent and rationally compelling account, and will more profitably be seen as a mixture of logically unrelated concepts.

The nature and value of authentic behaviour has been explained by associating it with personal identity (being/remaining oneself) and fidelity to self (being true to oneself).

An example of one of the most paradigm cases of inauthenticity from Bohemia Interactive in regards to DayZ is in the art concept of the trailer 1.20 premiered on Valentine's Day on Youtube. It was alarming, cynical, puerile and devoid of any seriousness and commitment to its identity.

I don't know... maybe I'm the one who doesn't know what DayZ is and DayZ itself doesn't know either. 
DayZ: being true to myself means being true to my own originality, and that is something only I can articulate and discover. In articulating it, I am also defining myself. I am realising a potentiality that is properly my own.

If authenticity involves being true to one’s “originality”, it will presumably also be a matter of avoiding blind conformism and undue deference. The value of being true to oneself: the borrowed truths are the ones to which one clings most tenaciously, and all the more so since they remain foreign to our intimate self. It takes much more precaution to deliver one’s own message, much more boldness and prudence, than to sign up with and add one’s voice to an already existing party. I believed that it is above all to oneself that it is important to remain faithful.
We behave inauthentically because it is easier than “delivering one’s own message”
The result may be what D.W. Winnicott calls a “false self”.

This is among reasons why I despise the wide audience, anybody and anything trying to cater to it at all costs and I really do think and firmly believe that I'm better than this audience (I know that it may sound narcissistic but it is what it is). I see them as below me, I firmly believe that they are, all packaged and blindfolded. Yes, I'm better than them!
The unfortunate matter is that it's a number's game and money talks.
I'm the minority and they are the majority.
I am and they are the piggy pinky party animal.
I'm the untamed and educated and they are the tamed by the virus.
I'm the immune survivor and they are the majority of the infected population.
No, we cannot live together!

Last but not least,
There's officially no zombies in DayZ. In the horror-sub genre, there's a difference between zombies that you find in different medias (Resident Evil, Night of the living dead, The Walking Dead, etc) and infected (28 Weeks Later, DayZ, The Last of Us, etc)

I believe the letter "Z" in DayZ stands for Zero - Day Zero.

Edited by Presence-
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Presence- said:

Hi Lakevu, 

While I want to see more authentic, unforgiving, horror, survival, post-apocalyptic elements implemented in DayZ and no infestation of arcadness (including those that you mentioned: movements and gunplay, etc) I might disagree with you on the claimed part that DayZ is a simulator. (though I might not know that the original idea might be but let's proceed to continue reading to try to understand this because I might find myself unsurprisingly agreeing with you on the accurate matter that DayZ should be a simulator).

I promise you. I'd definitely want it to be a simulator too and I do firmly believe that it would tremendously and absolutely enhance its experience (at least for me) but to my knowledge, it is not what Bohemia Interactive describe it in their official website.

I do not criticise Bohemia Interactive unfairly on this because they do not market it as a simulator.

We also need as much matter as we can about physics simulations that have been degraded by Bohemia Interactive later on, at least with videos, etc.
Because the unfortunate part is that everything that you talk about can be cowardly claimed as hypothesis or subjective preferences by those who don't have any gain from it.

Until then, the defence of Bohemia Interactive innocent until proven guilty is applied.

However, I think that pushing more for authenticity, horror, brutal, unforgiving, survival and post-apocalyptic aspects are currently easily justified because the official description of DayZ is: 

• "DayZ is a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, players follow a single goal: Survive by any mean necessary."

DayZ | Official website

• "Embark on an unforgiving journey in DayZ's Frostline Expansion, set within the icy Sakhal archipelago, covering 83km² of winter wilderness."

DayZ | Official website

• "The post-soviet country of Chernarus is struck by an unknown virus, turning the majority population into frenzied infected. Fighting over resources has bred a hostile mentality among survivors, driving what’s left of humanity to collapse. You are one of the few immune to the virus - how far will you go to survive?
  • DayZ is an unforgiving, authentic, open world sandbox online game where each one of 60 players on a server follows a single goal - to survive as long as they can, by all means necessary."

GENRE: fps, survival                                                       DEVELOPER: Bohemia Interactive

• Welcome to Chernarus. A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease. Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive. This is Day Z - This is your story. DayZ was created by Dean "Rocket" Hall, and is a trademark of Bohemia Interactive

• Authentic, open world multiplayer survival game. Developed by Bohemia Interactive.

- Official Facebook page

I too find Bohemia Interactive is still too complacent, very soft and most of time even incongruent with its own official description and there's still a tremendous amount of things to do about it but let's keep things honest and accurate, question ourselves too and let's not judge Bohemia unfairly by using the word simulator for DayZ

If a game simulates something, it is indeed a simulation as well because a game is what you make it to be (to the margin of the systems possibilities) but our unfortunate matter is that DayZ is not officially described and marketed as a simulation.

We can only be grateful if simulation elements are implemented in DayZ but we can not blame and bash Bohemia Interactive for not doing it.

However, we can read two words in the official description of DayZ: authentic and unforgiving
Authenticity: Realistic works strive to depict reality as accurately as possible, avoiding idealizations or exaggerations.

Dean Hall, best known for coming up with the idea created DayZ that was originally a mod from the roots of ARMA II 
ARMA II is officially described and marketed as: "Built upon over 10 years' of experience, Arma 2 thrusts gamers into the heart of the most realistic military combat simulation ever developed, featuring the vast, detailed Chernarus and Takistan environments, and a massive library of authentically modeled units, weapons and vehicles. Enjoy a wide variety of official and unofficial single- and multiplayer content, ranging from large-scale co-operative missions to total modifications such as DayZ. Arma 2 opens the door to one of the most dedicated community in gaming.

GENRE: TACTICAL SHOOTER                     DEVELOPER: Bohemia Interactive              RELEASE DATE: June 9, 2009           PLATFORMS: windows pc

1. Did the modification DayZ originally came as a simulator? Was it ever? Was it intended to be? Does it need to be to be congruent with its official description? Was the mod itself complex enough to be a survival simulator? Was the legacy versions like the 0.62 complex enough to be a simulator later on?

One thing for sure: DayZ came from a system that is officially described and marketed as the most realistic military combat simulation ever developed

That is one of the reasons why I encourage Bohemia Interactive to put a strong foot and focus on the realistic implementations for DayZ regarding of the liking of any audience with its tuppenny.
Because it is on par with its identity, its official descriptions and its roots.

Dean Hall said in an interview that the idea of DayZ is to be realistic but he choose to avoid the word realistic because people will come and say that the infected are not realistic. That's how he preferred to use the word "authentic".
The infected and the unknown virus are just a vehicle of what drove the world to collapse but everything else is realistic. The realism of everything else is crucial because that's the intrigue of the post-apocalypse. That's the sub-genre and the market spoke for it even when it was unstable with a lot of issues, bugs, etc. There's a market for it and not just for DayZ but for the sub-genre itself.

Following this, the infestation of arcadness (for lack of better term) should not stay in DayZ and we should get rid of it as much as we can because it does not stick to its official description. 

I can confidently argue that there's many aspects in DayZ that are too forgiving and inauthentic. (This includes movement and gunplay that have been mentioned here) those are just a couple of examples and there's still tremendously more in this matter to be addressed. 

I too conclude that the modern ideal of authenticity does not lend itself to a coherent and rationally compelling account, and will more profitably be seen as a mixture of logically unrelated concepts.

The nature and value of authentic behaviour has been explained by associating it with personal identity (being/remaining oneself) and fidelity to self (being true to oneself).

An example of one of the most paradigm cases of inauthenticity from Bohemia Interactive in regards to DayZ is in the art concept of the trailer 1.20 premiered on Valentine's Day on Youtube. It was alarming, cynical, puerile and devoid of any seriousness and commitment to its identity.

I don't know... maybe I'm the one who doesn't know what DayZ is and DayZ itself doesn't know either. 
DayZ: being true to myself means being true to my own originality, and that is something only I can articulate and discover. In articulating it, I am also defining myself. I am realising a potentiality that is properly my own.

If authenticity involves being true to one’s “originality”, it will presumably also be a matter of avoiding blind conformism and undue deference. The value of being true to oneself: the borrowed truths are the ones to which one clings most tenaciously, and all the more so since they remain foreign to our intimate self. It takes much more precaution to deliver one’s own message, much more boldness and prudence, than to sign up with and add one’s voice to an already existing party. I believed that it is above all to oneself that it is important to remain faithful.
We behave inauthentically because it is easier than “delivering one’s own message”

This is among reasons why I despise the wide audience, anybody and anything trying to cater to it at all costs and I really do think and firmly believe that I'm better than this audience (I know that it may sound narcissistic but it is what it is). I see them as below me, I firmly believe that they are, all packaged and blindfolded. Yes, I'm better than them!

Last but not least,
There's officially no zombies in DayZ. In the horror-sub genre, there's a difference between zombies that you find in different medias (Resident Evil, Night of the living dead, The Walking Dead, etc) and infected (28 Weeks Later, DayZ, The Last of Us, etc)

i see

dayz. in it first form was tied to arma 2. arma 2 IS a simulation game. just look at the steam page and it uses the word several times in not only its genre but its tags used on the product and even the product description.

dayz mod was an ATTACHMENT to this foundation. so by connection dayz HAS TO BE a simulation game in its founding and its initial identity because that is what gave rise to it in the beginning. THAT IS what created its identity and game rise to the game. that ARMA 2 foundation of hardcore surreal simulation. without that foundation you have no dayz.

and this argument of "theres no zombies in dayz" is the most ANNOYING argument ive ever heard. nobody. when they hear or even think "dayz" thinks "oh yeah day zero? yeah i know that". no. anyone literally anyone you ask would say "oh yeah that ZOMBIE game?". its a zombie game. thats what its known as and that is what it is. you can alter the facts about WHAT KIND of zombies they are. whether their undead or just infected but in the mod initial creation they ATE people. they had an animation that they ate players when they died or were uncon. something seemingly missing from the game entirely at this point. 

just looking at the steam page quickly the game even has the tag "simulation".

anyways. anything i have to say hardly matters because the logic of the situation is that who ever is "in charge" of dayz right now does not give a crap about what it is or what it SHOULD be. all their thinking is IM IN CHARGE and i can basically do what ever i want within a very vague set of guildlines. those guilde lines being "chernarus+ eating food+ zombies= dayz". thats it. and they'll do anything to chop down the experience to get more people in the door as long as those are the only requirements met. because its not about sticking to what it actually is its about making it whatever that person in charge wants it to be. and shilling. thats it.

the only hope i have for this game to return to the monumental experience it is capable of being is to get common people like you and myself to shun these people because its seems the only thing they care about in making decisions is not the truth but that the crowd wants. ive seen it already with the 1.16 update or whatever it was where everyone shouted at them for not fixing the hand bug the most egregious one of all in an update only dedicated to bug fixing. and guess what they did because there was a mob of people? not because they were right but just simply because there were enough of them. completely ridiculous.

Edited by lakevu

14 hours ago, Presence- said:

Hi Lakevu, 

DayZ | Official website

DayZ | Official website

- Official Facebook page

Last but not least,

just as a little addition i want to ILLUMINATE who the type of people they are destroying the game for and shallowing out the experience to cater to.

this is a conversation i had with a person about why they didnt want a mod (legacygunplay) added that made the gunplay less point and click and more surreal and interesting. this is what they said

"Maybe it could be tuned to something I'd tolerate but I honestly would guess it would be just that. Something I'd TOLERATE. I wouldn't like it, I'd probably chose to play somewhere that didn't have it. Because like I said earlier I'm getting old and you know what I hate more than getting flicked on by some kid? Change, I hate change, I don't want to change, I don't want to get the feel for something new. I want to play the game as I already like it. (edited)
August 3, 2024

these are the people and their "mindset" to why the game is "OK" to be shunted and shallowed out to be easier. because they HATE change. and they dont want to try. they would rather tolerate being flicked on by a kid instead of having a system that doesnt allow them to be "flicked" at all. laziness. completely lazy people is what this product is being made to cater to. people who dont want to "change" and dont want to try and just want cheap enjoyment.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Interesting the whole discussion on "simulation", "realism" and "authentic"... but it seems to me to be a hair-splitting discussion (I don't know if it's also used in English).

In any case the term "simulation" is too often abused, in many ways, also because it is a specific term that I have a bit of difficulty associating with any type of video game/software on the PC. Even if it were ArmA...
On the PC you will always have insurmountable compromises and you will always miss the physical sensation, very important in a simulation (have you ever seen the "fake" cockpits for training airline pilots? Well, that can be defined as a "simulator", with all the limitations of a simulation, obviously).
HERE, EVERYTHING else is "just video games", more or less complex and more or less accurate.

Even the term "arcade", in my opinion is quite abused. The "real arcades" are those old games now only emulated by M.A.M.E. (and similar), where the graphics are crude, the doll is very simple and you only have a few movements and actions: forward, backward, up, down, run, jump, shoot, bomb.
It can, however, be used to qualify a video game too "crude and simplified".

And in my opinion, even the discussion between "Zombies" and "Infected" doesn't make much sense, because since in reality neither of the two categories exist, they could be perfectly interchangeable, in movements, characteristics and programming in any video game.
These will NEVER be "simulated", nor "authentic", nor "realistic", for the simple fact that in reality they do NOT exist: it's all just pure fantasy.

EVERYTHING else in the game, however... existing in reality, should at least be "realistic" (or believable to reality), since it is NOT a "fantasy" and since it is advertised as "authentic".
Well, on this aspect I find myself quite bitter, because it seems obvious to me (to all those who have been playing for a while and have a certain number of hours under their belt), that this game... net of bugs and errors... was NOT written/set/managed in the name of "authentic realism", as advertised.
I don't feel like making long lists, look for my old posts... 😝

And regarding the dialogue reported in the last post...
I don't know who could have said it, but I don't think the programmers.
And for a simple fact: they DON'T really play DayZ!
And they don't even check it a bit before the releases...
Check for yourself how many hats are still glitched inside the heads of the infected. So many... you see them at every corner, or almost.
DON'T tell me that someone who plays doesn't see them.
DON'T tell me that a "serious" programmer wouldn't fix them BEFORE releasing his work.
If no one ever opens a ticket with the "step by step" explanation infected by infected... who is he, what does he have, what hat... they will NEVER fix them.
And I want to be "good"... I think it's because they NEVER play with them.
If you have other "hypotheses", I'm waiting...

😔

Edited by Riddick_2K

3 hours ago, Riddick_2K said:

Interesting the whole discussion on "simulation", "realism" and "authentic"... but it seems to me to be a hair-splitting discussion (I don't know if it's also used in English).

In any case the term "simulation" is too often abused, in many ways, also because it is a specific term that I have a bit of difficulty associating with any type of video game/software on the PC. Even if it were ArmA...
On the PC you will always have insurmountable compromises and you will always miss the physical sensation, very important in a simulation (have you ever seen the "fake" cockpits for training airline pilots? Well, that can be defined as a "simulator", with all the limitations of a simulation, obviously).
HERE, EVERYTHING else is "just video games", more or less complex and more or less accurate.

Even the term "arcade", in my opinion is quite abused. The "real arcades" are those old games now only emulated by M.A.M.E. (and similar), where the graphics are crude, the doll is very simple and you only have a few movements and actions: forward, backward, up, down, run, jump, shoot, bomb.
It can, however, be used to qualify a video game too "crude and simplified".

And in my opinion, even the discussion between "Zombies" and "Infected" doesn't make much sense, because since in reality neither of the two categories exist, they could be perfectly interchangeable, in movements, characteristics and programming in any video game.
These will NEVER be "simulated", nor "authentic", nor "realistic", for the simple fact that in reality they do NOT exist: it's all just pure fantasy.

EVERYTHING else in the game, however... existing in reality, should at least be "realistic" (or believable to reality), since it is NOT a "fantasy" and since it is advertised as "authentic".
Well, on this aspect I find myself quite bitter, because it seems obvious to me (to all those who have been playing for a while and have a certain number of hours under their belt), that this game... net of bugs and errors... was NOT written/set/managed in the name of "authentic realism", as advertised.
I don't feel like making long lists, look for my old posts... 😝

And regarding the dialogue reported in the last post...
I don't know who could have said it, but I don't think the programmers.
And for a simple fact: they DON'T really play DayZ!
And they don't even check it a bit before the releases...
Check for yourself how many hats are still glitched inside the heads of the infected. So many... you see them at every corner, or almost.
DON'T tell me that someone who plays doesn't see them.
DON'T tell me that a "serious" programmer wouldn't fix them BEFORE releasing his work.
If no one ever opens a ticket with the "step by step" explanation infected by infected... who is he, what does he have, what hat... they will NEVER fix them.
And I want to be "good"... I think it's because they NEVER play with them.
If you have other "hypotheses", I'm waiting...

😔

i agree. i find it hard to imagine anyone who was actually playing the game would put up with these things and wouldnt see this. which makes me think these people just make things for the game without actually playing it and feeling it. which is not a good disconnect to have when creating ANY product.

but the difference between zombie and infected is an important one because both inspire COMPLETELY DIFFERENT contexts that plays in our minds while experiencing the game. "Zombie" has a very specific image that goes along with it. an undead or human looking creature which EATS people and devours their flesh. a "infected" could be anything depending on the rules of the world. are they just angry with "rage" where they dont eat people? what are the rules? 

there is NOBODY in their right mind that has heard of dayz or even knows it that wouldnt say "oh dayz? you mean that ZOMBIE game?" and to have a comeback to this saying "well their wrong" is to amount to saying there is a MASS psychosis on the world of incorrectly identifying this game despite the plethora of media and such that has been created for it inspiring this image. which is even more insane to think is true.