L0G!N

Server hopping for resources an exploit?

I wanted to have a discussion about whether hopping servers for resources is an exploit/cheat, or if there is no way around this in certain situations due to how the game is set up atm.

First how this works, well best you do this later at night when the servers go a bit more quiet (but anytime will do), you find yourself to a good resource building (f/e the Inn/Hotel in one of the cities). You take everything you can find & move to a save spot. Then you log off and move to another server, rinse and repeat...

Now from this description i would say this is exploiting the fact that the game remembers your location across servers. BUT, the reason that promted me to do this makes it more of a thing you 'have to' do in order to survive:

See, i had been playing for a while gathered some stuff, but in the process i got a lil pale around the noze, after the next encounter with some zombies so much so that every once a while i would just pass out. This is all fine an all, it contributes to the game. And i was quite extactic to find me some bloodpacks, err... so ok i could also eat my way back up to some decent amount of HP, err, to get from 3500hp to about 9500 i need to 'eat' 6000HP at around 300HP a can of food, that is 20 cans, where the 'Heck' am i going to find that amount of food while my screen is blurring and the next 'hit' is going to kill me, due to me passing out etc... So i thought, ill get to a place where there is food, and i will 'just' hop servers to get my health up...

Now while my 'guts' told me i was sort of exploiting the game mechanics, at the same time there was no way i could continue to survive and hold on to the stuff i found sofar. And if there is one rule to survival that one should always follow, it is that: if there is something you NEED to do to survive, you better do it !

While there are numerous ways to 'fix' this, i thought i would have a discussion about it first, perhaps there is something i missed...

ps. hello all, first time poster joined DayZ a couple of dayz ago..

Well...It is and its not an exploit..I mean, you aint running from a fight or something..dunno. Just ask your friend to help you or something I guess. If you wanna keep doing it, its gonna take a looong time to get so many cans of food tho.

Find a hatchet, matches and knife and kill a cow. Cook the meat up, 800hp per steak.

It is an exploit. 'realistically' would you be able to blink and suddenly have a winchester in front of you? no.

And the one thing that made me laugh "Have to do in order to survive" You can easily survive if you keep moving, find supplies, and get a friend so you can heal yourself with a blood pack. It is not hard to survive.

I think my fix is pretty solid.

Feel free to add your comments to the thread.

Link in my signature.

You weren't "sort of" exploiting the game mechanics.

My "guts" tells me people who can't play the mod without cheating/exploiting, shouldn't.

You really think the mod was intended for you to server shop like this?

I don't think it's an exploit but it does sort of ignore the whole point of the game.

Personally it feels like the game is over once I have all the resources and gear I need. Then I just start taking stupid risks to inject some excitement into walking around empty forests.

@Datfoxah, Well it's not so much my personal situation, but i can see people doing this with say 'rare' items or gun ammo. Say i find a spot with a particular weapon i like, they usually come with one or two clips of ammo (way to little to last a long time). So now i know this location i can just hop servers, take all the ammo i long for, then keep playing... Similar with any rare items...

Those are not realy situations where there is no other way around the situation, and I would considder this truely exploiting the game mechanics. These items are rare for a reason, and relogging to obtain multiple of them is basically cheating...

In regards to my situation though, it would already help tons if i could just use a bloodpack myself, i have them in my inventory, but as a lone survivor (atm) they are merely taking up space. Another way around this would be to give multiple items a small HP increase, so that i am not entirely dependant on just food. Another fix would be to have HP increase on itself, be it at a very slow pace, in which case i can just eat something to prevent me from passing out and having these blurrs, while (as long as i don't attract zombies) i keep playing. Your body does make blood on it's own, so it wouldn't be to far from reality...

youre *exploiting* the servers, how in anyway could you not see that as an exploit

It's a cheap exploit, plain and simple. Not as bad as DC to avoid death, but nevertheless bad. You say you had no choice, but you are wrong. You merely chose the shortcut to recovery. Lame.

At some of the 'do this' advices, while i appreciate your input for my situation that wasn't realy an option, i was passing out every 4 min or so, my screen went blurry every 2 seconds, i could hardly see where i was going and was going at a terrible slow pace. Which is all GREAT! i love how these things are build in the game.

But part of the experience is to overcome these situations, you managed to kill or run from the zombies, you patched yourself up. Then what? well there is no then what because there is nothing you can do, finding a hatched comes with risk and in the situation you are this means just killing yourself. In a real life situation you would make sure you have access to liquids and maybe some food and hold out for a couple of days (you can last about 3 weeks without food), your body will still regenerate blood and your wounds will heal.

So to prevent somebody from feeling the need to exploit a gamemechanic in order to survive, there should be a way to deal with a situation like this.

@Dallas, tnx for your insightfull and welcomming way to adress a new player with an issue he found with the game and feeling the 'need' to have a discussion about it. My 'guts' tells me that people that don't know what the use of a forum is, shouldn't ... :p

It is an exploit, but there is nothing you can do about it. A lot of people do it, because there is nothing stopping them.

BUT' date=' the reason that promted me to do this makes it more of a thing you 'have to' do in order to survive:

And if there is one rule to survival that one should always follow, it is that: if there is something you NEED to do to survive, you better do it !

[/quote']

you are trying to give an exuse / justificate the fact that you are using exploit.

good job. really

with same approach you can tell that you can steal money from your company just because you have to do so in order to buy some fancy shit

so fucking naive excuse.

At some of the 'do this' advices' date=' while i appreciate your input for my situation that wasn't realy an option, i was passing out every 4 min or so, my screen went blurry every 2 seconds, i could hardly see where i was going and was going at a terrible slow pace. Which is all GREAT! i love how these things are build in the game.

But part of the experience is to overcome these situations, you managed to kill or run from the zombies, you patched yourself up. Then what? well there is no then what because there is nothing you can do, finding a hatched comes with risk and in the situation you are this means just killing yourself. In a real life situation you would make sure you have access to liquids and maybe some food and hold out for a couple of days (you can last about 3 weeks without food), your body will still regenerate blood and your wounds will heal.

So to prevent somebody from feeling the need to exploit a gamemechanic in order to survive, there should be a way to deal with a situation like this.

@Dallas, tnx for your insightfull and welcomming way to adress a new player with an issue he found with the game and feeling the 'need' to have a discussion about it. My 'guts' tells me that people that don't know what the use of a forum is, shouldn't ... :p

[/quote']

There is a way to overcome it, 2 ways in fact:

1) Respawn

2) Slowly crawl your way to the next Loot pile, then the next, then the next, etc.

At some of the 'do this' advices' date=' while i appreciate your input for my situation that wasn't realy an option, i was passing out every 4 min or so, my screen went blurry every 2 seconds, i could hardly see where i was going and was going at a terrible slow pace. Which is all GREAT! i love how these things are build in the game.

[/quote']

What do you expect a hug from the official welcome committe for exploiting server hopping?

I think server hoppers are only outdespised by disconnecters and hackers.

You have learn to play issues.

And instead of learning to play or coping with hardship, you exploit the game. People have explained you how to solve your situation, but you demand a easy fix: COD health regen or self administered blood transfusion.

Well you can't have that.

And you can't have the sympathy or respect of players who faced the same difficulties as you, but didn't exploit, overcame them and became better survivors.

Suck it up.

Your options are:

Eat canned food: 200 blood.

Eat cooked food: 800 blood.

Blood transfusion from someone you trust.

Only fix I see, is if positions are not saved or character positions were only saved on the server people played on.

Add the above and a 20 second logout timer and we will have a better game.

I wanted to have a discussion about whether hopping servers for resources is an exploit/cheat' date=' or if there is no way around this in certain situations due to how the game is set up atm.

First how this works, well best you do this later at night when the servers go a bit more quiet (but anytime will do), you find yourself to a good resource building (f/e the Inn/Hotel in one of the cities). You take everything you can find & move to a save spot. Then you log off and move to another server, rinse and repeat...

Now from this description i would say this is exploiting the fact that the game remembers your location across servers. BUT, the reason that promted me to do this makes it more of a thing you 'have to' do in order to survive:

See, i had been playing for a while gathered some stuff, but in the process i got a lil pale around the noze, after the next encounter with some zombies so much so that every once a while i would just pass out. This is all fine an all, it contributes to the game. And i was quite extactic to find me some bloodpacks, err... so ok i could also eat my way back up to some decent amount of HP, err, to get from 3500hp to about 9500 i need to 'eat' 6000HP at around 300HP a can of food, that is 20 cans, where the 'Heck' am i going to find that amount of food while my screen is blurring and the next 'hit' is going to kill me, due to me passing out etc... So i thought, ill get to a place where there is food, and i will 'just' hop servers to get my health up...

Now while my 'guts' told me i was sort of exploiting the game mechanics, at the same time there was no way i could continue to survive and hold on to the stuff i found sofar. And if there is one rule to survival that one should always follow, it is that: if there is something you NEED to do to survive, you better do it !

While there are numerous ways to 'fix' this, i thought i would have a discussion about it first, perhaps there is something i missed...

ps. hello all, first time poster joined DayZ a couple of dayz ago..

[/quote']

What is there to talk about? It will be fixed in a future patch. It will remove real-time inter-dimensional travel. We simply will have to deal with this exploit until then.

Only fix I see' date=' is if positions are not saved or character positions were only saved on the server people played on.

[/quote']

I like this one as well, as far as the exploit goes :)

Still though it doesn't solve that after you survived a few attacks there is nothing you can do but suicide and start over... unless you happened to have made a friend... and suiciding after a bad start is just as much an 'exploit' as hopping servers, in a sense... just respawn untill you get a lucky break and take it from there :-/

@Dallas, I expect to have atleast half a decent discussion about the issue, and as a new player I expect to be somewhat welcomed into the community, not told to L2P or GTFO, and pointed at for being 'a cheater' while all i did was come across an exploit and REPORT it here on the forum. Which i think is what one should do in regards to an Alpha state game and likelywise forum...

It is an exploit. 'realistically' would you be able to blink and suddenly have a winchester in front of you? no.

And the one thing that made me laugh "Have to do in order to survive" You can easily survive if you keep moving' date=' find supplies, and get a friend so you can heal yourself with a blood pack. It is not hard to survive.

[/quote']

Nor could you run, loot a building, come back 2 hours later and find the same/different loot. However that's an in-game mechanic. KKbro.

Only fix I see' date=' is if positions are not saved or character positions were only saved on the server people played on.

[/quote']

I like this one as well, as far as the exploit goes :)

Still though it doesn't solve that after you survived a few attacks there is nothing you can do but suicide and start over... unless you happened to have made a friend... and suiciding after a bad start is just as much an 'exploit' as hopping servers, in a sense... just respawn untill you get a lucky break and take it from there :-/

I don't think anybody will be satisfied with being forced to crawl around with broken legs in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, if they didn't have a respawn button. This goes double for all the bugs that comes with being in an Alpha.

I effing hate server hopping. I spend forever scouting a location and checking sniper spots only to find its been looted... Ok get to the next one oh it's been looted too and so on and so forth. And if you have to cheat to play why even play. I've crawled my happy ass stupid distances to hospitals with broken legs to find morphine and there was none. Sure I could of server hopped but instead I crawled from Cherno to elektro because that challenge is what makes the game fun. Although it was gratifying when someone server hopped right in front of me while i was at a high value spot and I got a lot of awesome gear by shooting him in the face.

what if you are hopping severs to find loot, because the sever is too populated for the spawns of loot to not be looted already unless you just wander away to die or get lucky up north