Turnipski

Ammo System Improvements

Hello, tried to search but didn't find a thread for this idea so please let me know if there is one.

What I am suggesting is that 'bullets' should be separated from 'magazines' and found separately from each other. The recent feature allowing us to convert magazines seems like it is going to get more and more confusing to use as more conversions and weapons are added.

I know nothing about guns but I've been told by friends that there is a lot of overlap between the bullets that different weapons use, the only difference is the magazine they use e.g. the FN FAL and DMR both use 7.62x51mm ammo but they do not share a magazine. So what if you could remove the bullets from a FAL mag and put them into an empty DMR mag?

With the new changes to the ammo system coming 1.7.2 I'm pretty sure this would be quite easy to implement:

* Create a new ammo type '7.62x51mm ammo pile' that can be stacked to something like 100

* Add right-click menu to all magazines with these options:

- 'Fill from ammo pile' searches the inventory for an ammo box of the correct type. The clicked magazine is filled and however many rounds were needed are removed from the ammo box. This option would only be visible if you had an ammo box to fill this from.

- 'Remove rounds' which removes all remaining rounds from the magazine and creates an ammo pile

I would imagine with this system magazines should be rarer (but usually at least 1 drops with the weapon). Bullets themselves should be roughly as numerous as they are now.

And while we're at it why not sort out the crossbow to allow more than one bolt per stack :P

Sounds fun/useful?

• Like 3

Sounds good, would be a game changing feature that adds both realism AND challenge. Two things Rocket wants!

It would be important for used clips to stay in the inventory as well, so you could have a few empty clips waiting to find bullets to fill them!

It would be important for used clips to stay in the inventory as well' date=' so you could have a few empty clips waiting to find bullets to fill them!

[/quote']

Yeah this could be where it might not be possible to override engine behaviour I guess, but it is a must. Would be cool just to find empty clips too.

And while we're at it why not sort out the crossbow to allow more than one bolt per stack :P

no. as someone who uses the crossbow over any other gun let me tell you that the crossbow is the best weapon in the game. and the ammo is completely balanced considering you have unlimited if you don't miss.

I once killed 2 players looting Zub castle shot them both in the head before they even realized the other died. but a third player came in right after so i didnt have time to loot the bolts and he had a winchester so i pulled out my axe and "axed" him a question, but he DCed like a bitch.

so its great as long as your not fighting more an army.

My problem with the crossbow isn't the rarity of the ammo, it's how much space it takes up in your backpack. I'm pretty sure the bolts could easily be bundled together IRL and take up not much more space than just a single bolt. Also zombies regularly fall down in such a way that the bolt becomes hidden.

Anyway I'm sure there are plenty other threads discussing the crossbow, this one isn't really about that.

... realism AND challenge. Two things Rocket wants!

if you look at Pain and Infection statuses youll see that he prefers challenge over realism.

if the changes from will allow shotguns use ammo directly from the pile, avoiding all that magazine crap, that will be a good change

if the changes from will allow shotguns use ammo directly from the pile' date=' avoiding all that magazine crap, that will be a good change

[/quote']

Definitely. But then the disadvantage should be that you have to load the shotguns like you do in real life. Having to do this while a zombie horde approaches would be awesome!

Tried the M1014 in the editor and it loads as a full clip (does the real thing?). Is this is an ArmA limitation?

Edited by Turnipski

Topic starter is reading my minds ) This is a great idea, but also I think that mags must to be hard to find. I mean not really-hard-to-find-like-nvg-and-gps but still. So mags will be very important of the gameplay, just like real mags for real firearms.

Definitely. But then the disadvantage should be that you have to load the shotguns like you do in real life. Having to do this while a zombie horde approaches would be awesome!

Tried the M1014 in the editor and it loads as a full clip (does the real thing?). Is this is an ArmA limitation?

In the game, both the M1014 and the Remington 870 use the "magazine" reload, like a single reload for all the 8 shells.

However, IRL, there is no such thing, both weapons would have to be manually reloaded, one shell at a time. (By the way, the video you posted is about a rifle, not a shotgun, even though DayZ treats it as a shotgun :P)

I actually like this idea very very much. As a Gun Nut myself, I find it a bit off that you cant take all those 200 rounds inside a box magazine of a M249 to use on your beloved M4A3, just because I dont have empty magazines to fill... This Idea is VERY realistic and I dont think it would be that hard to implement, seeing as it can be done in a similar way as the "convert magazines" is already made (when you would press to Disassemble a magazine, it would delete the full mag from inventory and spawn 2 items, the empty mag and the separated bullets, then, you could have 3 or 4 options of which magazine you want to re-assemble, just need the bullets and the correct empty mag)

Edited by Mafia1882