Sign in to follow this  
Turzok

1U Dayz Server

Greetings. I searched for information for a long time and could not find specific information, please help with the questions that I will describe here and ask those who really dealt with the creation of the server and / or are the server administrator and know in practice to answer.

1. We need a 1U server configuration for 1 physical server, which will have 3 virtual servers 2 for 80 players and 1 for 50 players.

2. Accordingly, which processor to choose, how much RAM is required for this, and how much hard disk or SSD is required.

3. What Internet connection speed should be for a seamless connection of all players and the absence of any problems.

4. Should I look towards the ryzen 5600X or 7700X or are only Intel processors suitable?

I kindly ask you to help me deal with these issues. Thank you for your time.

Hi Turzok,

I'm the owner of a game server hosting company (including DayZ), I can give you some advice:

- Prefer servers with a Ryzen processor with a high turbo boost frequency (Intel processors are pretty bad for DayZ Server)
- Avoid virtualization to host your DayZ servers and opt for Windows Server 2022. (The Linux version on the server side is very new and you will be more limited: you can't use BEC or similar tools)
- DayZ servers use 2 processor cores. For 3 DayZ servers, you can opt for an 8-core processor. (The AMD Ryzen 7 7700X is an excellent choice)
- My customers use between 3 GB (for vanilla servers) and 6 GB of ram (for mod loaded servers). In your case, a dedicated server with 32 GB of ram will be more than enough. (or even 16 GB)
- Ideally, you would need an SSD. But it's not essential on DayZ because there is a little less disk writing compared to Minecraft servers.
- For the Internet connection, the ideal is to have something solid enough. But the advantage is that the mods are downloaded via the Steam servers, which reduces your needs (an upload higher than 15 mbps would be ideal).

Don't hesitate if you have any other questions, I'm available to answer them.

Good day to you

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Draowyr said:

Hi Turzok,

I'm the owner of a game server hosting company (including DayZ), I can give you some advice:

- Prefer servers with a Ryzen processor with a high turbo boost frequency (Intel processors are pretty bad for DayZ Server)
- Avoid virtualization to host your DayZ servers and opt for Windows Server 2022. (The Linux version on the server side is very new and you will be more limited: you can't use BEC or similar tools)
- DayZ servers use 2 processor cores. For 3 DayZ servers, you can opt for an 8-core processor. (The AMD Ryzen 7 7700X is an excellent choice)
- My customers use between 3 GB (for vanilla servers) and 6 GB of ram (for mod loaded servers). In your case, a dedicated server with 32 GB of ram will be more than enough. (or even 16 GB)
- Ideally, you would need an SSD. But it's not essential on DayZ because there is a little less disk writing compared to Minecraft servers.
- For the Internet connection, the ideal is to have something solid enough. But the advantage is that the mods are downloaded via the Steam servers, which reduces your needs (an upload higher than 15 mbps would be ideal).

Don't hesitate if you have any other questions, I'm available to answer them.

Good day to you

Thank you very much, I am very grateful for your answer. Please advise on these points:

1. You said that you should not use virtualization, but how then to divide 1 physical server into several?

2. Will there be a big difference if I use Ryzen 5800X instead of Ryzen 7700X? Will it be critical? I just have the 5800X on hand.

3. Could you tell me how you can test the server for load? That is, create it and artificially make 80 connections to look at the fps. A stress test, so to speak.

4. Is 15 Mbps enough for 80 people?

Thank you very much in advance.

11 hours ago, Turzok said:

Thank you very much, I am very grateful for your answer. Please advise on these points:

1. You said that you should not use virtualization, but how then to divide 1 physical server into several?

2. Will there be a big difference if I use Ryzen 5800X instead of Ryzen 7700X? Will it be critical? I just have the 5800X on hand.

3. Could you tell me how you can test the server for load? That is, create it and artificially make 80 connections to look at the fps. A stress test, so to speak.

4. Is 15 Mbps enough for 80 people?

Thank you very much in advance.

Hello,

No problem, it's a pleasure to help.

1. You can run multiple DayZ servers by changing the ports that your servers will use. You can use OmegaManager to do this, it will allow you to create and manage multiple DayZ servers.

2. If you only have the Ryzen 5800X, you can deal with this. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle. On an 8-core processor, it is best to limit yourself to running 4 DayZ servers at most. Beyond that, there is a risk of a strong performance degradation.

3. Unfortunately, it is not possible to test performance via a script that simulates the presence of players. However, if your servers are running on a base of 15,000 FPS servers (it is rare to go beyond this on DayZ, although technically possible [1]), it should perform well with 80 players. It is important to ensure that FPS servers are not degraded by the presence of mods. For example, the AI bots in DayZ Expansion tend to be very greedy: you have to be careful on this point.

4. The data transferred between the server and the players is not very important, it will be enough for 80 players. (However, we are talking about upload speed here)

[1]: I use a Ryzen 9 7950X3D to host my clients. If I limit the number of DayZ servers to 8, I can easily reach 21,000 - 28,000 FPS servers on average across all servers. Both in vanilla and with many mods.

Good continuation to you!

Edited by Draowyr

On 5/21/2023 at 9:40 PM, Draowyr said:

Hello,

No problem, it's a pleasure to help.

1. You can run multiple DayZ servers by changing the ports that your servers will use. You can use OmegaManager to do this, it will allow you to create and manage multiple DayZ servers.

2. If you only have the Ryzen 5800X, you can deal with this. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle. On an 8-core processor, it is best to limit yourself to running 4 DayZ servers at most. Beyond that, there is a risk of a strong performance degradation.

3. Unfortunately, it is not possible to test performance via a script that simulates the presence of players. However, if your servers are running on a base of 15,000 FPS servers (it is rare to go beyond this on DayZ, although technically possible [1]), it should perform well with 80 players. It is important to ensure that FPS servers are not degraded by the presence of mods. For example, the AI bots in DayZ Expansion tend to be very greedy: you have to be careful on this point.

4. The data transferred between the server and the players is not very important, it will be enough for 80 players. (However, we are talking about upload speed here)

[1]: I use a Ryzen 9 7950X3D to host my clients. If I limit the number of DayZ servers to 8, I can easily reach 21,000 - 28,000 FPS servers on average across all servers. Both in vanilla and with many mods.

Good continuation to you!

Thanks again for the information, you help me a lot :) And how many servers do you have 7950X3D, if it's not a secret? :)

4 hours ago, Turzok said:

Thanks again for the information, you help me a lot 🙂 And how many servers do you have 7950X3D, if it's not a secret? 🙂

Currently, 15 DayZ servers are running on the host machine. But we are approaching the limits that the processor can handle without too much performance degradation. We are currently running at 14,000 - 15,000 server FPS, which is still acceptable.

14 hours ago, Draowyr said:

Currently, 15 DayZ servers are running on the host machine. But we are approaching the limits that the processor can handle without too much performance degradation. We are currently running at 14,000 - 15,000 server FPS, which is still acceptable.

Thanks again for your help. Please tell me, the i9-12900k system is cheaper due to DDR4 and cheaper boards, but as I understand it, it loses to the 7900X (and 7950X) due to the fact that it actually has only 8 productive cores, right? Does it make sense to save a few hundred dollars and build on the i9-12900K, or is it better to build on the 7900X (or 7700X)? And what kind of motherboard do you have for 7950X, if it's not a secret 🙂 And how do you cool the 7950X3D? Do you have an air or liquid cooling system? Thanks again for your help, you help me a lot! 🙂

Edited by Turzok