Torben (DayZ)

MERGED: Cannibalism

So, seeing this is a post apocalypse themed game. This idea came to mind partly inspired by The Road (Awesome movie/book.) where packs of survivors (bandit sque) moves around looking for other survivors and basically turn to cannibalism in lack of other food.

Would this be a good idea to implement in game? It'd certainly add to a theme.

So a few questions, as I am not too familiar with code and what not.

1. Would this be doable? I imagine it being just like hunting now just make you able to do the same on dead players.

2. What would be a appropiate penatly for it? Simply humanity loss would be the obvious, but should there be more?

3. Do you feel this would encourage PvP too much?

I like this idea! maybe we can cook zombies and eat them too! since heat gets rid of most the bacteria? right?

Thats just so stupid

nice ... very nice ... and constructive.:dodgy:

I find the idea interesting but I'm not sure it will works in terms of gameplay. It would make the game too simple and the CoD/PKers would push even more crazy shot at everything that moves. But continues to think more deeply to the idea if you want to make something playable.

Now, cannibalism would be the ONE situation whereby a new skin could be forced on a player.

But TKJ' date=' how could this be? You're a poser! You don't even believe in the 'freedom of choice' thing!!! How could I have been so [i']wrong, as to idolize you?

Hear me out, Random Poster that I just made up to make my post more hilarious.

:D

Cannibalism would change people, psychologically. Removing the current morality for a psychology check could work. People's shoulders would hunch, they'd have laboured breathing, and become a little bit more feral. For a time (and I recommend this be random, yet temporary) they would be slower in their ability to do technical things (like aiming) and yet faster and more random in things that are 'reactive', such as running.

Overall, I could see this working, somewhat. It's a little over-the-top, but it also amuses me, somewhat.

TKJ

Well, it could give you "the shakes", blurry vision, lower stamina or something to reflect the fact that's it's an extreme measure, on top of course of a big humanity loss. But I mean, it's a choice between dying of starvation and that...well.

Well' date=' it could give you "the shakes", blurry vision, lower stamina or something to reflect the fact that's it's an extreme measure, on top of course of a big humanity loss. But I mean, it's a choice between dying of starvation and that...well.

[/quote']

This. In the Book of Eli they tell cannibals by the shakes. Obvs the more you eat the more you should shake.

Cannibalism is a great idea -- often my friends who start the game ask me if it exists. Adding it would add an extra incentive to kill, especially if you're out in the woods, lost, lacking in food or any wildlife nearby. I also agree that it should impact your humanity but should probably restore less food than cooked animal meats due to the relative abundance of human 'meat' versus the amount of animals you find.

I like this idea! maybe we can cook zombies and eat them too! since heat gets rid of most the bacteria? right?

And the winner of Darwin award is...vivalarazala!

Congratulations.

No, for the love of god no. It would be really silly, i tell you.

And then bandits wouldnt even need to search for food anymore...

I was on a server last night and I got to talking with several other players:

It would be an interesting mechanic if players were able to eat the corpses of other players. It would provide food, possibly a chance of infection, and change the character appearance to a chosen cannibal skin.

This adds an interesting survival-horror aspect to the game, because now you have the option of eating (or being eaten) to help keep someone else alive. When survivors (or even regular Bandits) see a cannibal, the thought would be something like, "Oh my god, they're going to eat me."

It's an interesting mechanic because the cannibals themselves are not zombies-they're survivors who have taken to extreme measures to ensure their own survival.

Anyone have any comments on the idea?

I personally prefer runny babbits, hogs, chicks & cows thanks (and maybe dogz).

A little bit of ketchup, yum yum.

I like this idea. Typically, if you eat human flesh for too long, I think that you begin to tremble often. (At least according to a few movies I've seen, for example, Book of Eli). So you could get the effect of your aim shaking when you eat, and maybe you'll need to take some painkillers or morphine to fix the effect. In exchange, your hunger will return to normal.

If you have the hunting knife you should be able to have the ability to cut flesh from a zombie. It would work similar to meat from an animal only you would be the only person to see it as “uncooked rancid zombie meat” or “cooked rancid zombie meat” everyone else would see the meat as “uncooked meat” or “cooked meat”.

This would be a way to kill those who you are pairing up with only until the time is right to kill them or to stick it to bandits who kill you and loot your stuff. The effects would be fairly quick, falling to the ground a few moments later as you watch your health deplete fairly quickly and then die.

Of course cutting rancid zombie meat would instantly take away some of your humanity.

Hey - it's a post apocalyptic world - and it's messed up. Deal with it.

Also this could be combined with the idea of cannibalism.

Should be an entire new skin, like a shirtless man with weeping sores all over their body. Side effects of eating human flesh should result in the player becoming "psychotic" in the sense that they will randomly begin shouting non nonsensical nonsense that other players can hear and from that point on only able to take sustenance from dead survivors both drink and food can be satisfied from eating a survivors body. Nothing is worse that the feeling that you may be hunted down for your gear or even your own flesh.

It would be interesting to have Bandits Survivors and Cannibals existing, i believe even bandits would think Cannibals are worse than themselves creating more ethical dilemmas in the game such as are bandits worth killing over cannibals?

Great people already don't trust other people in the game as it is. With this idea people would have to worry about being given rancid zombie meat by other people. Awesome!

I think I read somewhere on adding antibiotics to the game to cure sickness from rain (thermometer meter). Cannibalism requiring a knife seems pretty easy to implement, but it should have a negative penalty such as food poisoning or humanity loss. Without any negative attribute against food acquired from player corpses, there would be no need to hunt animals (which is mostly luck anyway).