Sign in to follow this  
Olaie

Broken arm

Everyone has always admired how difficult DayZ can be. There is always a challenge, or a situation that will occur which will put your life and survival instincts at test.

But let's cut straight to the chase.

In DayZ, when you get to a point where you have so much gear that you barely can carry anything else, you're dropping your knife for a sledge hammer or a fire axe, or maybe even your pistol for some extra slots for the ammunition in your M4A1. Both of these weapons (M4A1 and Fire axe) are two handed weapons. They require both arms to function.

Just as you need both your legs to run in DayZ, it'd be a shame if someone broke your leg so that you couldn't run.

But what if someone broke your arm instead? 

If you have a broken arm, you will no longer be able to use your Rifle or any weapon that requires two hands. Instead, you're forced to use a knife, or a pistol. The knife and the same pistol that most players will throw away once they get a better weapon.

How would this work and how would you break your arm then?

How does your arm get broken?

Your arm can be broken from getting shot in your arm by a high calibre weapon, same as breaking your legs

- When blocking attacks from zombies or players using a heavy melee weapon, such as a shovel, Axe, Sledge hammer.

- Explosions 

What happens when your arm is broken?

- When your arm is broken, you will drop any two handed weapon in your hand onto the floor, as you would, if you were to be knocked unconscious. 

- Trying to use a two handed weapon will cause you to fall unconscious, or even bleeding.

- Crafting items cannot be done, if they require two hands.

How long will my arm be broken?

- Just like broken legs, it depends on the severity of how it happened. An explosion could  put a 15 minute broken arm once you have your arm sling on. Bullets will do less, depending on the calibre, distance and other factors.

How can I fix my broken arm?

- Since you have broken your arm you will be unable to use both hands to craft items, you'll have to find an arm sling, which is found in hospital areas.

What is the purpose of adding broken arms?

- Forcing players to be very selective of what loot they pick over other gear. As mentioned above, most people will drop their knives for the big sledge hammer, and then the knife will never be used again by that player, or even a pistol. This also gives the pistol holster or pistol vest more value.

Can you break both arms and legs at the same time?

- Yes. Yes you can. 

Final notes

please add this. I've had this idea for almost 1.5 years and I've never come around to actually make the suggestion, and I have searched this idea up on the forum, NO ONE has thought of this as of yet, and I really think it would change the way people play the game and also the way they pick and choose their gear. Plus it will make holding hostages so much more fun, being able to break their legs and arms. 

Thank you for reading

Olaie out.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 4:43 AM, Olaie said:

What happens when your arm is broken?

- When your arm is broken, you will drop any two handed weapon in your hand onto the floor, as you would, if you were to be knocked unconscious. 

- Trying to use a two handed weapon will cause you to fall unconscious, or even bleeding.

- Crafting items cannot be done, if they require two hands.

Trying to use a two handed weapon should cause shock damage - like jogging with a unfixes broken leg. Crafting should still be possible, but maybe not all actions or taking twice as long, i mean you should be able to craft a sling - if needed

On 7/15/2022 at 4:43 AM, Olaie said:

How does your arm get broken?

I would add falling from height too, if people fall from a ladder or something they sometimes break an arm or shoulder- it depends how they landing. So like in one of three cases a survivor should break an arm instead of an leg.

But a bit more specific on how to get your arm broken from hand to hand or ranged damage. Copy paste leg break? 75 Shock damage on arms may seem to be the easy route but a bit unsatisfying imo.

• Like 1

Another idea for a sling would be to either use a bandana as a sling or introduce the military medical cravat. It’s a large triangle bandage that soldiers have used for a head cover since the sixties. They come in olive drab and desert tan. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 4:26 AM, Officer Failure said:

Crafting should still be possible, but maybe not all actions or taking twice as long, i mean you should be able to craft a sling - if needed

Nah OP's suggestion was spot on.  Maybe you've never broken your arm but it's not really functional when you do.  I'm sure in a true survival situation you'd figure out how to splint your own arm though, so maybe you can craft a splint but it takes super, super long.  As in it's like a 90-120 second craft time.

They promised bone injuries years ago and probably will never deliver. The medical system in this game is a joke at best.

6 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

They promised bone injuries years ago and probably will never deliver. The medical system in this game is a joke at best.

I think there will be broken arms... eventually. It seems possible to be honest but you know that DayZ has so many flaws and issues and they can't focus on everything at once.

If we didn't get broken legs I wouldn't think we would get broken arms, but there is nothing really stopping (except dev time/priorities) them from adding broken arms.

2 hours ago, DefectiveWater said:

I think there will be broken arms... eventually. It seems possible to be honest but you know that DayZ has so many flaws and issues and they can't focus on everything at once.

If we didn't get broken legs I wouldn't think we would get broken arms, but there is nothing really stopping (except dev time/priorities) them from adding broken arms.

This is why im pushing for a part 2 on Enfusion minus  everything dean hall thought process. I always said it would be badass to lose limbs and get black eyes. Like if you get punched in the face you have a chance of half of your screen going dark. But the engine he decided to use is simply flawed and outdated.

Edited by Roostercake