Tristan Cooper

Natural night vision

You know how in real life you can kinda see in the dark after being in it for a while? That should be in dayz, and I’m not talking about full night vision, just not pitch black on those nights. Then maybe to make this a little more viable the actual night vision would have green glints that are visible for other players. I’m not sure if the night vision goggles in the game have glint in real life, but since when has dayz focused on realism? In my head the process starts when it is really dark and gets gradually easier to see and caps at 25ish minutes. Like a pitch black to dark grey transition, and any exposure to light would reset that timeline as it would in reality. Again, no ridiculous cat vision, just a slightly less pitch black…

or I could just be an idiot and just not have noticed if this feature was already in the game or not…

• Like 1
  • Beans 4

10 hours ago, Tristan Cooper said:

just a slightly less pitch black…

Agreed, pitch black isn't fun to play on when lights disappear after like 100 meters when you zoom in, making it impossible to shoot players with lights on.

Or when zombies magically aggro onto me in pitch black somehow... like how even? I can't even see my feet and they aggro on me?!
Sure, maybe they heard me, but how the... do they keep aggro on me even if I silently move away. They can't see me, and they can barely hear me crouching away on grass, but they still keep chasing after me as if they see me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm of the firm belief that the zombies have psychic powers in this game lmao. 😅

That'd be cool if they had an eye-patch for the eyes slot that automatically gives you natural night-vision without having to wait for your eyes to adjust. 😜

...Historical pirate fans will know what I'm talking about lol. 🤭

Edited by Ellie Jean

6 hours ago, Ellie Jean said:
That'd be cool if they had an eye-patch for the eyes slot that automatically gives you natural night-vision without having to wait for your eyes to adjust.

I had to wear an eyepatch as a kid to straighten my eyes, so I can definitely verify this lol.

• Beans 1

What they really need to do is make the two night lighting (bright nights on 3PP official, dark nights on 1PP if anyone didn't know) settings be the extreme ends of the SAME setting. So - on a cloudless night with full moon you'd have the brightly lit 3PP nights, while an overcast, rainly night with no moon would be the typical 1PP pitch black night - and dynamically vary in between those extremes. Weather already affects lighting, but the only thing the moon actually does (paradoxically) is "paint" shadows, which is why it is nearly useless in the dark night setting. Since it's so dark (in the dark setting there is next to no light reflection from the ground) you won't notice the shadows except around bright surfaces...

Now this should definitely be possible to achieve, since we know weather does affect the brightness level adding moon phase and position to it should not be a major undertaking.

And yes, a character's night vision improving slightly after some time to adapt would be a nice and natural thing, especially if being exposed to bright lights would negate the effect - that way you could theoretically "blind" someone by shing a light in their face. (Should also cause nv goggles to white out btw).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Derleth said:

And yes, a character's night vision improving slightly after some time

Again, Arma2 had this implemented very well, BI should just import that.

• Thanks 1

You can see that "well" because there is light pollution everywhere; when the power is out -like it is in the apocalypse- and the clouds block the sky -which they do to some extend in the game- you really can't see anything.

• Like 1

you should have seen the nights in the first years......now it's sunlight :)

my hint is to get back nvg in tier 3, and put many per server as before.....

• Beans 1

5 hours ago, supernick said:

you should have seen the nights in the first years......now it's sunlight 🙂

my hint is to get back nvg in tier 3, and put many per server as before.....

No! We need more rare items that you need to work for in this game. I’m glad nvgs are now very rare makes them exciting to find. 

• Sad 1

Bumping this because it's a great suggestion. It would bring use to rifle mounted torches too, to mess up your enemies natural night vision.

Also, nerf NVGs into the ground. Limit their viewing range to 30-50m max for example, and have them badly effected by torches/bright light. They're still way too OP, even if they are now a bit rarer. I'd even make the battery consumption high, so you can't just throw them on and forget, you have to pick your moments to use them.

The main benefit of NVGs should be 1.) not advertising your position at night, while 2.) having some low light visibility. At the moment they're still night time god/easy mode. Its too much.

Perhaps people wouldn't leave the server when it got dark if they could confidently utilise head-torches, without the fear of an NVG squad wiping them with a BK18.

Edited by RZ0R
  • Sad 1