clevelandtyler2

Anyone else like night-time better?

I honestly avoided night-time servers. I thought, "This is so lame, I can't see anything!" But this evening I played a few hours on a pitch black server and it was hands down the most intense gaming session I've ever had. Indescribable to anyone not familiar with the game.

A buddy and I were creeping through Cherno, super stealthy. We had just raided the church when we received word in the text chat that someone needed a blood transfusion in the hospital, so we thought, "Why not? We're right here." So we embark towards the hospital, which is about a quarter mile north of our position.

So we let the guy know that we're on our way, and we should be there in about 5 minutes. It seemed like every single corner we passed was more suspenseful than the last. All we had was one chemlight, and the faint red glow of a flare off in the distance, marking our destination. When we finally get there we're asking the guy where he is, when all of a sudden I can faintly spot someone watching us from a tower to the south. I instantly pull sights on him and ask over chat and to my buddy "Who's taht up there?!"

Turns out it was the guy we had been looking for, but out of nowhere comes a second survivor. Scared the crap outta me! We realize he's friendly so we all group up near the hospital to fix this guy up. We had reached our destination and now have 2 more survivors to travel with.

Out of nowhere, I hear a shot ring out. The random guy drops to the ground, dead. I thought "Who was that?! Did we get betrayed??" But nope, it just so happened that a bandit or two were also in on our little conversation over text chat. We all got killed but it was still one of the most awesome experiences I've had in 10 years of gaming.

TLDR: Night-time in DayZ is amazingly immersive and suspenseful. Anyone who avoid night servers should really give them a try. Especially with friends.

I have no problem and like the night time. When it turns night, me and my friend have to start playing differently. It gets really intense when we are trying to raid a town or just sneak by one when we stumble on it by accident. We might hear a zombie scream at us... we run for our lives, then throw a flare or chem light down in front of us and take it/them out. We do have a flashlight, but we feel better about both of us having our guns out.

We also like to surround a town and launch some flares into the middle of a town if we think a bandit or another player might be in there. We usually wait and watch from a good distance and see if we need to take any action depending on our supplies and if it's a bandit.

One time, a friend of ours was bleeding to death at the military base near the southern airstrip. We went there and spotted a bandit that we thought might be sneaking around trying to loot him. We took him out. Thinking he may have buddies, I ran for the bank of trees across the road and kept down so I would not be highlighted by the horizon. I hid there, while my partner tried to help our friend up. Soon, flares started raining in from all directions, and I was able to spot one sneaking up to the front gate. I shot him with my CZ550 and took him down.

I assume the others stalled because they were not sure where that came from. They spent a long time trying to find me while my partner stayed down and tried to hide. But they were lighting him up with flares very well. I was able to spot another sneaking around who ended up 5 feet from me on the other side of a bush, and had no idea where i was. I took him down and started to sneak away toward the west. My partner began to creep away toward the back side and found an exit. He immediately darted out to the forest into the west... safely. I did not have that luxury. I assumed they new there was a sniper in the woods and an enemy would be very close. I stayed very still for a long time and suddenly another flare flew out and I spotted another. I shot him, but only incapacitated him.

Then a shot rang out from behind me. Another sniper was 5 feet from me, but on the hill behind and could not get a clear shot at me. I was able to turn and shoot him before another guy near the beach started spraying wildly into the trees with an automatic weapon(m4 i think). I darted west and was able to make it away from there alive.

It was awesome.

Personally I prefer playing at night. At first night was terrifying (hey look, a flare, a bandits come murder me signal lol) but eventually we adapted. Flares are used more for distractions now, chemlights are our friends and we've all learned to be very patient and listen more closely.

There's nothing quite like doing night raids for food and water with zombies crawling all over while navigating by the stars.

Night time is the best time. I can traverse faster and more efficiently when I'm cloaked in darkness. Travelling is by far safer at night. Well, except on the coast but that is never safe.

I prefer night too. It's tough going, but at least the darkness lets you stay hidden when you want to. And it makes the atmosphere and immersion that much more intense.

It's definitely worth playing a whole night, just to say you did it and survived. Not to mention the intensity of it.

I'm sure the night is exciting, if you can see anything at all. But road flares only go so far and if that's all you have...you might as well just wait until morning.

i like night time better. i go proper stealth with my binoculars, NV goggles, flares and my chemsticks lol

I'll play night time servers if I'm in game with at least one other friend. But without NVGs, going solo at night is a recipe to become some bandits next target practice victim.

Night time is my favourite time. Avoiding zombies is so much easier, as is sneaking up on players. And I don't even have NVGs yet.

It's obvious, just by looking at server populations across all regions, that the majority of players prefer playing during the daytime.

I have recently become a fan of night time playing, especially if you’re in a city. If you can find a nice tall building with a way to the roof, get up and look out into the dead city listening for anyone. Also the flares at night give off such a great creepy effect.

I prefer the night when you're avoiding the city. Just joined a Russian server as a bandit and immediately found a group of 4 players surrounding a flare. You can assume what happened next. If it was day, I would've been able to kill one, two tops, but not all four. That's the positive for the bandits. It's also safer overall because you're practically invisible if you don't sprint.

Funny thing is I've survived longer during night time than I ever have during the day time.

yeah it's nice when you have some source of light, but when you're just beginning, and all you have is your makarov, no sense of direction, and flares, the pathetic 5 foot radius of light provided by the flares is just no where near enough to play on a map that's a bajillion square kilometers.

Night-time is exhilarating, player-player interactions are much more tense and more common due to the usage of light sources. (though I personally only need a chemlight for moving inside buildings so IDK) Zombies are more terrifying because you may not see them if they aren't sky-lined or otherwise silhouetted against, but its balanced out by their lack of sight.

As a person who loves stealth/sneaking games I can't get enough of the night gameplay as it is right now, sneaking by player or zombie groupings, wandering through town and running for cover when a flare lights up down the street, etc. It's just high-tension fun.

Especially with friends.

Yep. It's lots of fun. I love the dark. I still switch to daylight servers from time to time, but night brings on a whole second half of the game. It's like two games in one!

What I hate about night time is that I can't even see my iron sights. Everything is just black on black most of the time. It's like I'm locked in a box and no light can get in at all...

night time is very fun but it does get old after a couple hours. Iday cycles need to be quadrupled or something so I dont come home from work and either have to play in the dark all night or play with 250 ping on russian/euro servers :\

I defiantly feel safer at night when there is a moon out, creeping along with my trusty crossbow in hand(which is quite amazing when you get used to the aiming). Managed to kill off a bandit sniper with one hit from it that I sneaked up on. Turns out he had NVG to go with full set of survival gear, and a nice m9SD.