BlackSunMK

DayZ on Linux (through Proton)

Hey everyone!

Just today I read this article , where they asked developers if they'd enable support for the compatibility tool Proton for Linux when they made it ready to support Easy Anti-Cheat and BattlEye (for the upcoming Steam Deck). They asked Bohemia Interactive as well and their answer was "maybe".

I really hope you consider enabling it! DayZ is one of the few reasons I still dual-boot Linux and Windows. I love the game, the recent updates are nice (seriously, keep up the good work!). I have over 1800 hours, but unfortunately I couldn't enjoy the game as usual the last year practically, since the person I usually play with is having frequent crashes under Windows (probably due to hardware issues) but Linux is working fine for him. We are going to play soon again since he finally can afford a new PC, but it'd be a pleasant surprise to be able to play DayZ on Linux when support for BattlEye is ready (hopefully at the end of 2021).

I know the player base on Linux is probably really small, but I've read it would be only a minor inconvenience to enable Proton Support for BattlEye. The game even seems to work perfectly fine in singleplayer with Proton so far. Just consider, it would not only help the people who are going to play with the Steam deck but the Linux community as a whole. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 3

I genuinely hope they do as well, and as much as I hate to say it, if they decide not to do it, then I'm just done with Bohemia. 

I too hope they do this. Idk if it's as cut and dry simple as I've heard, but if they do enable it, it will open this game up to the Steam Deck as well. 

+1 from me. I only boot windows to play DayZ and other BattlEye games (like Escape from Tarkov) 

And if possible i already play games with steam on linux. a good example is Project Zomboid, which runs great on linux.

https://twitter.com/Plagman2/status/1456792857960857604

BattlEye compatibility for Wine/Proton on Linux and the Steam Deck is now available and all you have to do is tell BattlEye you are interested.

This will allow the game to be launched on Linux and the Steam Deck without any additional work or support necessary from you.

Please enable it, thanks!

Small update here:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/5/22709918/valve-steam-deck-supported-games-anti-cheat-proton-eac-battleye-epic

“If it’s all working as intended, we do mean to enable Battleye anti-cheat support for Proton/Linux,” a Bohemia Interactive rep tells The Verge.

Looks good.

ProtonDB has successful report on running DayZ:

https://www.protondb.com/app/221100

Anyone else tried? My game stalls at half way loading the red bar.

EDIT: after disabling steam overlay the load bar goes to around 80% but stops there

Edited by finntux

10 hours ago, finntux said:

ProtonDB has successful report on running DayZ:

https://www.protondb.com/app/221100

Anyone else tried? My game stalls at half way loading the red bar.

EDIT: after disabling steam overlay the load bar goes to around 80% but stops there

I tried it today as well and was running in to the same issue. The first screen will load and the red bar goes to about 80% and then stops. 

I got that helpful link in DayZ discord and 'sysctl -w vm.max_map_count=262144' seems to resolve the issue. I had to double that number though.

I can confirm this is working. managed to get it started first time with little effort and in my opinion it works better than it did on windows for me

and for anyone interested i made a quick video showing this working and a how to video on YouTube (https://youtu.be/aeKUjervytM) (https://youtu.be/mAhlqSrebZc)

I finally was able to launch DayZ on Debian 11 using Proton experimental.  However you cannot load into the launcher.  I hope this gets fixed, as if it does, good by Windows.  I run 5 servers and once I can get into them, I will be as happy as a clam.  Also I will report, I run a 6900xt passed through to a vm, and I have everything maxed out, I am getting higher frame rates then I do in windows!!!!

If they every made a full blown Linux client, I have to wonder if we would get even better performance.  But right now, I will not complain because I actually got onto an Official server with my Debian wallpaper.  Step 1 down!  Please keep it going, and thank Proton for all of their hard work to get a ton of games working in Linux.

Script mentioned in that thread can handle mods. Works great.

As a bonus I tested with proton glorius eggroll version and even FSR works great. IMO I get better performance and picture quality in linux than in windows.

Steam launch options (script adds profile etc parameters):

WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR_STRENGTH=1  WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 %command%

Thank you for that post finntux.  Now if I can just figure out how to write up a list of mods for some of the servers.  There are a few special characters in the names of the mods and it doesn't like it very much.  But killer start, thanks a ton!!!  I am pretty much just putting the command line together for the servers and name the file after the server name.  Type that in and bingo I'm connecting.  I'm so close, haha.  I did fumble through changing some of my directories but got that part all figured out and it's working great for the most part