Sign in to follow this  
Shrapnel1

Display drivers have stopped working?

Hi, i've been playing Day Z recently, and anywhere from an hour or more to 10 minutes my screen flashes black, then minimizes to desktop with ARMA2OA still running. But if I try to click or alt tab back into the game it won't work.

The error message only lasts a few seconds but i've seen it's something like "Display drivers have stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

I've tried updating my drivers, going through device manager and reloading the display drivers, but the problem just isn't going away, i've played in the editor to test if that crashes, but it doesn't.

This seems to be a problem only the Day Z mod has, it's pretty much game breaking. Does anyone have any solutions or be able to help?

urrrgh... unfortunately that error is a pain to troubleshoot.

There's a large divide on what causes that.

Some say it's overheating. DayZ does place a larger load on my CPU than ARMA.

Some say it's hardware related and some say it's drivers.

What spec are you running on?

urrrgh... unfortunately that error is a pain to troubleshoot.

There's a large divide on what causes that.

Some say it's overheating. DayZ does place a larger load on my CPU than ARMA.

Some say it's hardware related and some say it's drivers.

What spec are you running on?

Thanks for getting back to me, yeah i'm basiclly totally clueless to what this could even be, searched heaps of forums about it etc and no fixes.

This is what i'm running it with.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor

RAM: 4GB

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

GFX: GeForce GTS 250

PSU is a 500w from memory

Try setting the video memory to "default" in the in-game video options.

I sometimes have "gliches", I can solve this in game by changing between default & high settings and back again if needed.

Try setting the video memory to "default" in the in-game video options.

I sometimes have "gliches"' date=' I can solve this in game by changing between default & high settings and back again if needed.

[/quote']

I'll try that next time it happens, really weird thing was today I played for 2-3 hours with friends and it never happened once, compared to the day before where it happened like 60 times.

I dunno what the hell is going on.

Hey guys. Joined to chime in and say that I've been having the same problem. I had it once before, several patches back, and I think it just went away with an update and now it's back again. I've tried switching the settings and doing the shift + numpad - then typing flush trick and nothing has seemed to work. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You should beable to go back to the arma2 screen when its black and hold:

left shift and numpad minus then let go of them both at the same time then type flush.

This flushes ur gfx card and the game should work.

Happens to me alot.

I've gotten the flush trick to work, but it only lasts a few minutes and then it happens again. This is the only game where I've had this problem. Really weird.

Just reinstalled both games and the mod along with new drivers for my video card, and while it does look and run a whole lot better, the same issue is still happening.

I too have a Phenom II X4 955 and have the same problem. But I tend to freeze on the server list a lot too so I'm lucky to be able to even get in a game. It's pretty annoying. I really want to play Dayz and just can't.

So, two new things I noticed.

Playing the game in XP compatibility mode seemed to work out better. It was either that or starting in windowed mode then hitting ALT + Enter to go to fullscreen. The only difference this made was instead of minimizing to the desktop and not letting me come back, it would just freeze, then come back and say "receiving" on the screen before working again.

The other thing is that it seems to happen more frequently when I'm around people. Me and my friend joined up and it seemed to freeze and receive every minute or so and was completely unbearable.

Yeah it froze for me after meeting up with someone else too whereas the game ran perfectly for me earlier in the day when I didn't encounter anyone. Weird thing was he had an insivibility glitch so it's not like my card even had to draw him. I'm curious what card and drivers you guys have to see if it could be a common cause. For me it's a Radeon HD 7750 with Catalyst 12.4.

Sorry for necroing this thread, but I've been having the same issues in 1.7.1.5.

I've been monitoring my graphics card, because at first I thought it might be a temperature-related issue, but I'm fairly sure that's not it; temperature is sticking around 60-65 degrees Celcius when playing DayZ (idle/non-gaming temperature is between 44-48 degrees). I can run games like Battlefield 3 and Skyrim on high settings for hours without any problems.

After some searching, I found that this issue was present in earlier builds of ArmA 2, but was supposed to be resolved. Maybe it came back due to DayZ-specific content/code?

System specs:

-AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2 Ghz (no overclock)

-HD5850 Toxic 1GB @ 820/1165 (slightly overclocked, standard clock is 765/1125)

-8GB DDR3 SDRAM

-2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 RPM

-Be Quiet! 520 Watt PSU

-Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, SP1 (all latest updates present)

Software versions:

-DayZ: 1.7.1.5 (didn't notice these issues with previous DayZ builds)

-Operation Arrowhead Beta: 94364 (issues were present while using earlier versions too)

-AMD Catalyst Driver: 12.4

-Latest DirectX version

Sorry for necroing this thread, but I've been having the same issues in 1.7.1.5.

I'm doing the same thing now. Same error, GPU is a Geforce GTS 250, temperature is normal. What I noticed though is that it crashes right in the moment when my GPU load reaches 100% for the first time. If that is of any help.