sidneymcdanger

Dead characters should rise as loot carrying zombies

If a player is killed by a zombie, that player's character should rise back up as one of the undead and mill around with its new colleagues. That new zombie should be exactly like the others, except that it carries all of the former player's stuff. Killing a town full of zombies suddenly becomes a highly lucrative, if very, very dangerous, activity if players can expect to grab a few players' inventories worth of canned food, ammunition, guns, and supplies.

Note that if a player kills another player, the victim is just regular dead, and the loot is as normal.

Doesn't matter, really, that they're not dead. They're certainly not the people that they once were, so the mechanic still fits the theme. A player gets infected as a result of losing too much blood to zombie attacks, and they lose control of their character. Mechanically, no different from player death at the hands of zombies; thematically, the zombie infects their living victims instead of killing them. Whether the character is dead or infected doesn't matter from the perspective of the poor schlub who starts back on the beach without their stuff.

As for how long it should take, maybe it would be fun to give it about 15 minutes, so that the player has a prayer of making it back before it's too late... or just in time to be mauled to death/infected by their previous character.

Doesn't matter' date=' really, that they're not dead. They're certainly not the people that they once were, so the mechanic still fits the theme. A player gets infected as a result of losing too much blood to zombie attacks, and they lose control of their character. Mechanically, no different from player death at the hands of zombies; thematically, the zombie infects their living victims instead of killing them. Whether the character is dead or infected doesn't matter from the perspective of the poor schlub who starts back on the beach without their stuff.

As for how long it should take, maybe it would be fun to give it about 15 minutes, so that the player has a prayer of making it back before it's too late... or just in time to be mauled to death/infected by their previous character.

[/quote']

So a person brutally beaten to death (!) with probably numerous ribs and bones broke, should rise up from dead (!!) to become infected (!!!) and run at sprinters' speed?

Please no.

I think this might be a decent idea, but it should take some time before the corpse rises.

By the way, are player corpses permanent?

Yep, here seems some dilemma. I guess, if player are infected (bitten by zombies), but escape somewhere and "to die" there due bleedings, then his body might become a zombie. Different than who infected and slowly become a zombies. Or, maybe he get "ill" and exist as zombie, not die, but players only see and feel beginning shaking and despawn?

If he don't escape, then zombies will just eat him up.

Don't quote me on this but from what I've read I think the idea boils down like this:

The zombies in Day Z are not dead, they never were dead. Think of it like a really nasty case of super rabies or something. The survivors are the one or two percent that are naturally immune to the infection, thus they will never turn into "zombies".

Yeah, not to shoot down the idea but it's kind of dumb. The point of DayZ is for you to play as a survivor. You group with other survivors to fight zombies and bandits. Implementing a system that allowed you to rise up as a zombie.. defeats the entire purpose of the mod and I would personally stop playing if they implemented such a system.

I love the challenge of surviving.

As i had read, OP don't suggests playing as zombie. He suggests, that player's "body" rise as zombie in some circumstances.

Though come some problems with "zombies" behavior, menu etc..

...but then we would have to fight "intelligent" zeds...basically unarmed bandits. this doesn't sound fun to me at all and would ruin the entire experience. sorry bu -1 on this idea

I like the idea even though it clashes with Rockets "not dead" comment. It would make it more interesting checking out zombies and even risk fighting larger hordes of them if you spot a zombie with let say an alice or big coyote backpack and a nice weapon.

I have been thinking about something similar. Let's say that you should die from zombies. You will get an choice to spawn as a zombie near another player. You get a few minutes to kill another player in exchange for a chance to regain your pulse and try to get back to health. A life for a life and a strong survival instinct will get a slim chance from the powers-that-be to once again get up and survive for another battle. It doesn't really fit the game but I kind of like the idea.

Doesn't matter' date=' really, that they're not dead. They're certainly not the people that they once were, so the mechanic still fits the theme. A player gets infected as a result of losing too much blood to zombie attacks, and they lose control of their character. Mechanically, no different from player death at the hands of zombies; thematically, the zombie infects their living victims instead of killing them. Whether the character is dead or infected doesn't matter from the perspective of the poor schlub who starts back on the beach without their stuff.

[/quote']

So a person brutally beaten to death (!) with probably numerous ribs and bones broke, should rise up from dead (!!) to become infected (!!!) and run at sprinters' speed?

Please no.

They could easily become a crawler if their legs were truly broken and i always imagined infected to be immune to pain despite the "fck that hurts" you sometimes hear from shooting them which im sure isnt supposed to be there, i dont see why they shouldnt rise off

I do realise that if they lost all their blood they couldnt possibly get back up but come on its a game and its a little fun, just like when you walk into a church and a load of pope's run at you. (ingame)