Nox Trooper

How about some MREs? (Meals ready to eat)

So I've been playing DayZ for about a year now (on console). One day, I was searching around a military camp and stopped to eat a can of 'tactical bacon'. Then the idea hit me - Why aren't MREs been implemented into the game?

MREs, for those that don't know or can't be asked to look it up on google, are sort of mini-care packages of food. They contain non-perishable/preservable foods and usually in transportable sizes. They're typically used by Military forces, and some 'doomsday' preppers, and have been reliable for decades. I'm sure there would be quite a few laying around the lands of Chenarus/Livonia.

In-game MREs could be like First Aid pouches, which contain usually a set of medical tools and equipment, but instead they could hold a variety of foods that players can stockpile or transport. MREs would be also an opportunity for the developers to add new consumable items. (MREs usually have different menu sets so they can have a randomly picked assortment in each pack.) Hungry for a beef stew? Just add some water. Maybe some tactical crackers? It's in the pouch, waiting for you. Feeling thirsty for a bag of powdered coffee (which can be combined with boiled water to drink)? There are many possibilites for what can be put in these MRE bags. If the developers can't add any new foods, they can simply just put existing food items (e.g a bag powdered milk and couple of cans of food) inside of the MREs. MREs would most likely spawn in military establishments but I can see them being in the odd household or hunting camp.

MREs would solve some issues in the game. Firstly, there seems to be a lack of food on some servers (at least from my experience on console). Finding one MRE would set you up to survive for the next three or so days. Part of a military roleplay community and sick of bacon? Cut open that MRE. Squadmate's stomach rumbling? Share out your MRE. Feeling generous and want to go deliver some supplies to freshspawns? Just hand 'em an MRE and they're off on their way!

I think adding this may seem like a small touch but I believe it'd make the DayZ experience that much better. 

Feel free to add some suggestions/changes or maybe some opinions. 

Thank you for reading, survivor!

Pictures below: (Click on sentence)

Example of a US MRE Package

Example of a US MRE's contents

Example of a Russian MRE Package

Example of a Russian MRE's contents

Edited by Nox Trooper

I like this concept, and I feel it would add more depth/immersion to the game to have a shelf stable food packet that contained some basic items like 10 matches an esbit stove fuel tabs or a water activated chemical heater with an entree meal and side dish. 

• Thanks 1