Sign in to follow this  
PEACE_543

Tinnitus from gunshots

This fourm is practically dead, But here's my newest idea.

We all know sound is key to surviving in this game:

Finding gunshots,
Avoiding infected. 
Knowing when you're being snuck up on.
TICK TICK TICK = LANDMINE 
Determining whether or not that bambi is concealing an M4 in his hoodie. 

Now what if we take that away?

-Gunshots should give you tinnitus (ringing in the ears) For a couple IRL minutes after shooting.  Eventually going deaf without hearing protection.

-Hearing protection muffles all sounds but protects against tinnitus.

-Need to implement new items such as earplugs, earmuffs and wax from unimplemented candles as hearing protection.

-Think of the noise you hear when hit with a flashbang. That's tinnitus. But realistically it should last a hell of alot longer than it does.

What would that look like?  

-That guy walking up and down the coast blasting freshies is now clinically deaf. He will have murdered his eardrums long before he got to you. And in the case hes prepared with hearing protection he wont be able to hear you sneak up on him.

-For people barricading themselves in buildings this effectively makes them deaf and blind to anyone outside. 

-It would add a whole new factor to the combat system. Making people think twice before they shoot. and where they do it from.

Tinnitus is a very real thing that for some reason isn't depicted correctly in video games. Everyone knows flashbangs make you lose your hearing but noone ever conveys how loud guns really are and the consequences of not using hearing protection. Of course it's a very hindering debuff to put in a game. I could see larger caliber bullets to cause tinnitus while pistols and SMGs may not. Just for balancing purposes and It would definitely make pistols more popular. 

DeSteaks give you Kuru
Creek water gives you Cholera
Raw meat gives you E.coli./ Salmonella
All of the above make you vomit and starve to death
Rain gives you Hypothermia and the flu
Heat gives you Hyperthermia

GUNSHOTS SHOULD GIVE YOU TINNITUS 

I really hope to see this idea implemented at some time. Not implementing it is leaving a big hole in the realism of all games from call of duty in the 2000's to PUBG current day no one has implemented tinnitus from firearms. But only from flashbangs.  

Hey thanks for moving me from Xbox/New player discussion/ I don't know my way around here too well 😄

39 minutes ago, jakub_bohemia said:

Hey, I really like some of these ideas!

Will make sure to show them to the devs 🙂

Thanks for reading my post i'm glad it intrigued you. I can't say i was the first to think of this, If you search the forum for "Tinnitus" there's posts from like 6 years ago that added some things i didn't think of. Like

-Suppressed weapons not casing tinnitus. 

-Firing guns in interiors being more harmful to your hearing.

-How many shots it might take take to develop tinnitus and from which weapons.

Deafness might be a little overpowered. Expect people to ask for hearing aids if it does get implemented. XD

This is one of the bigger threads, He also mentioned objects already in the game such as motorcycle helmets could reduce tinnitus. 

Edited by PEACE_543

I speak from personal experience. Shooting guns without any hearing protection is deafening. Will talk to the devs about it and find out why we never did it. Once again, thanks 🤜🤛

• Thanks 1

I agree this should be a thing! The effect should last longer than from a flashbang right now (which should also be longer), but minutes(3+) irl is too much imo.  

Also, new items, improvised hearing protection, commercially made hearing protection and high level active hearing protection that makes you hear normal (or even "better" with an ultra rare item) but making you impervious to tinnitus from noise.

Great idea, yet it seems boring and tedious to implement as a mechanic. Many players might quit. Permanent hearing loss is realistic, but would be awful. Again, I support this, but it would detract from the game in my opinion. Maybe soften the ringing to be temporary and not 100% hearing loss in-game? Each time you shoot, it could create a stacking effect. It's hard to implement this as a game mechanic without changing so much. Think about inventory and existing equipment spaces. From a dev standpoint, it sounds nice but won't fit.

How about a nice bow with arrows instead of ear plugs in the next update?