zackb101

The Buddy System [Friend spawning mechanism]

I like the idea of being able to spawn on the same or nearby starter zones so that you can group up pretty quickly. I don't like the idea of teleporting directly onto each other or near each other, this kind of goes against the design of the game and can also be used to expoit.

One suggestion that I think would be really nice, is the ability to choose your spawn location every 6 or so hours. This will allow your friends to group up easier, and the cooldown will mitigate exploitation. This will still require navigating to group up, as this will only work when you respawn as a new player, and also limited to a cooldown. This method would also be more friendly to the server/database since your just picking a spawn area instead of looking up friends and whatnot.

Reducing the time it takes to group up with friends will make this mod much more enjoyable, but it doesn't have to make it super easy either.

I don't think players should be able to spawn on top of each other at any time. If you allow this a lot of people will take advantage of it and in doing so it will take the 'risk' out of the game. E.g. "Oh, I was attacked by bandits and I died? No worries! I'll just have my friend run away and I'll respawn on him."

Having said that - I still do want there to be some kind of buddy spawning. My ideal implementation would be to allow friends to join a party and spawn within a few kilometers or something. However, I think this should only apply to characters who are made within a certain amount of time (aka newbs).

I don't like the idea of this so called "buddy system" at all. This mod needs to be ultra realistic in all ways.

If a zombie apocalypse would happen right now' date=' in the REAL WORLD, then it probably won't happen that I call a friend of mine and he would be teleported through the phone do you think??

These kind of "Buddy system" ideas will ruin the game if they were to be implemented.

Don't get me wrong, I like playing with my friends, but it just gives me a thrill that I first need to look for them.

[/quote']

Let me address the point that when you create your character he appears out of no where. He wasn't sleeping in his bed or shopping in the mall. The lore behind your character is up to you to establish. So your argument against this implementation doesn't apply - at least regarding freshly made characters. However, if you have a veteran character with your own adventure and somehow I magically appeared? You have a very good point there! But as it is now I'm just some dude who appeared on the shore... maybe the ship I was on sunk and only my friend and I were the only survivors? Who knows.

I'm not sure if some one has already suggested this in this thread (my scanning of the pages seem to have yielded no results), but why not just make it so you spawn at the nearest spawn to any one of your "friends" who you would have added to some sort friends list.

The friends list would have to involve the person you are attempting to add confirming the request so that bandits and pk'ers can't abuse the system.

This would mean you could spawn in the vague area of one or more of your friends (if they are in a group) using the current coastal spawns while not interrupting the current balance of on going firefights etc.

To the people who enjoy running for an hour or so and finding their friends: Good, let it be part of the experience for you.

For everyone else: This idea's not over, there have a been a lot of good ideas thrown around and I think a compromisable and fair buddy system could be easily implemented.