Agent-BMF

just downloaded the game, need help!

hi all, im hoping a few of you wouldn't mind showing me the ropes, im really struggling to find me feet and survive.

thanks in advance 

For starters do not go on a well pop server. Get on a low pop server and learn at your own pace. You can get the I Zurvive map downloaded to your phone to assist you. When you get more confident start to inhabit the more pop servers and try your luck. Think ahead all the time and if a two minute detour means you can top up on drink at a well do it. Livonia is harder and foos and drink is less available but in general killing Zombies and checking greenhouses will get you planty of food and drink the most essential need for staying alive. Its hard to tell somebody what to do but food and drink must always be somewhere in your thoughts and get Tetra Pills for Colds cos it rains a lot.Keep some duct tape for dhoes or change them regular because the shoes degrade and will keep making you bleed. Lots to learn dpmt rush or get frustrated and enjoy cos it is a great game.

I disagree with the above - on PS4 right now, from spawning into a new game, it simply isn't true that killing zombies or checking greenhouses will give you plenty of food. That isn't happening in my game!

I would say roughly only one in every ten or fifteen zombies or greenhouses, has any item at all, and not always food. By the time you've attempted to get through those numbers you'll likely have died of starvation, not to mention be thoroughly pissed off at the mind numbing boredom of running around the same buildings with nothing decent to collect. Right now, this is a pathetic experience.

When you're a fresh spawn with nothing, fruit trees are your friends. They're everywhere when in towns and you should be able to find enough to survive the first day on fruit alone. You may have to check 10 or more trees to find an apple, pear or plum, but it beats starving. Open your inventory while standing next to a fruit tree trunk so you don't miss any. Also, when in the wilderness, you can find elderberries on medium and small bushes. I discovered this by accident as I was hiding from a hostile group. Same as fruit, stand or crouch next to bushes and open your inventory to see if any are there.

As stated above, you'll more easily get a footing on a sparsely populated server. Once you have gear, favorite the server and find a spot that you can return to easily but isn't well-traveled and begin burying gear in dry bags/packs or crates. Make sure you don't forget where you buried everything. If you get killed, you can just reapawn, find a shovel and head to your cache to re-gear. Always keep a pair of sneakers or light hiking boots in your inventory. You will wear out your shoes and it sucks to bleed out while looking for shoes. Try not to ever use an unsuppressed gun on zombies. It draws more in and also alerts other players to your location. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, paulzx1 said:

I disagree with the above - on PS4 right now, from spawning into a new game, it simply isn't true that killing zombies or checking greenhouses will give you plenty of food. That isn't happening in my game!

I would say roughly only one in every ten or fifteen zombies or greenhouses, has any item at all, and not always food. By the time you've attempted to get through those numbers you'll likely have died of starvation, not to mention be thoroughly pissed off at the mind numbing boredom of running around the same buildings with nothing decent to collect. Right now, this is a pathetic experience.

I've no idea why I keep seeing people commenting on the difficulty of finding food. even when I was new to the game finding food wasn't a problem or drink, the thing that did slightly affect me was finding something to open cans of food with, always use a knife of even.better a can opener lol. never use like an axe or crowbar because it will knock off a decent chuck of the food counter. 

On 4/17/2020 at 9:07 PM, PonziScheme said:

When you're a fresh spawn with nothing, fruit trees are your friends. They're everywhere when in towns and you should be able to find enough to survive the first day on fruit alone. You may have to check 10 or more trees to find an apple, pear or plum, but it beats starving. Open your inventory while standing next to a fruit tree trunk so you don't miss any. Also, when in the wilderness, you can find elderberries on medium and small bushes. I discovered this by accident as I was hiding from a hostile group. Same as fruit, stand or crouch next to bushes and open your inventory to see if any are there.

As stated above, you'll more easily get a footing on a sparsely populated server. Once you have gear, favorite the server and find a spot that you can return to easily but isn't well-traveled and begin burying gear in dry bags/packs or crates. Make sure you don't forget where you buried everything. If you get killed, you can just reapawn, find a shovel and head to your cache to re-gear. Always keep a pair of sneakers or light hiking boots in your inventory. You will wear out your shoes and it sucks to bleed out while looking for shoes. Try not to ever use an unsuppressed gun on zombies. It draws more in and also alerts other players to your location. 

Thanks for the tips. Low servers have been better, finally got some items collected and was doing better, then got a message to say server shutting down, got booted and lost everything, so right now, this game still sucks quite a bit!

On 4/18/2020 at 12:23 PM, rackinglad27 said:

I've no idea why I keep seeing people commenting on the difficulty of finding food. even when I was new to the game finding food wasn't a problem or drink, the thing that did slightly affect me was finding something to open cans of food with, always use a knife of even.better a can opener lol. never use like an axe or crowbar because it will knock off a decent chuck of the food counter. 

Well you have to be kidding on the food and drink front? Maybe you are finding it easier but I started playing this with a mate and we've both had the exact same experience, just not finding enough resources in the first day to stay alive. I know it's supposed to be difficult but spawning dozens of times just to get one decent run going does seem a bit self defeating. Quite a few people have watched as I played this because they weren't aware DayZ was available on PS4, but none of them want to buy it having seen the start!

39 minutes ago, paulzx1 said:

Well you have to be kidding on the food and drink front? Maybe you are finding it easier but I started playing this with a mate and we've both had the exact same experience, just not finding enough resources in the first day to stay alive. I know it's supposed to be difficult but spawning dozens of times just to get one decent run going does seem a bit self defeating. Quite a few people have watched as I played this because they weren't aware DayZ was available on PS4, but none of them want to buy it having seen the start!

the best option for you to actually believe me is join me on ps4 so I can prove how easy it is for you to find food and drink. I'll run you round to prove to you that cans of peaches, beans, spaghetti, sardines are easy to come by in houses and green houses. also dead zombies carry food sometimes, water is accessible from most any town at a well and to be more efficient in hydration search hunting lodges for packs of chlorine tablets then you can fill any water bottle from any water source and purify it. 

On 4/20/2020 at 6:13 PM, rackinglad27 said:

the best option for you to actually believe me is join me on ps4 so I can prove how easy it is for you to find food and drink. I'll run you round to prove to you that cans of peaches, beans, spaghetti, sardines are easy to come by in houses and green houses. also dead zombies carry food sometimes, water is accessible from most any town at a well and to be more efficient in hydration search hunting lodges for packs of chlorine tablets then you can fill any water bottle from any water source and purify it. 

I've had a bit more success on low servers for food, I wouldn't say it's plentiful though. I would take you up on following you around to see all of this except in my experience so far, just meeting up with a friend on the game take s some doing.

The spawn points never seem that close when you're trying to meet up with another player, unless you know a way to do that without traversing large chunks of the map?

14 hours ago, paulzx1 said:

I've had a bit more success on low servers for food, I wouldn't say it's plentiful though. I would take you up on following you around to see all of this except in my experience so far, just meeting up with a friend on the game take s some doing.

The spawn points never seem that close when you're trying to meet up with another player, unless you know a way to do that without traversing large chunks of the map?

sure I'd be glad to help, what's your psn? you won't have to run around dying trying to meet me I'll come to you. wherever you spawn just get to some town and loot a bit to find a little food and find where the water pump is, just until I get there. also how old are you.

4 hours ago, rackinglad27 said:

sure I'd be glad to help, what's your psn? you won't have to run around dying trying to meet me I'll come to you. wherever you spawn just get to some town and loot a bit to find a little food and find where the water pump is, just until I get there. also how old are you.

Haha don't worry I'm not a kid, I'm an adult! Had much better time last night, found food and got sorted at last. I think the main issue is that there's no help or info when you're starting. When you realise items re-spawn fairly quickly, it's easier. My main problem was trying to loot buildings that had already been looted, of course you run around and find nothing but if you were to wait and go back you probably would.

I will no doubt call on your services Sir, probably when I encounter the next problem whatever that will be!

5 hours ago, paulzx1 said:

Haha don't worry I'm not a kid, I'm an adult! Had much better time last night, found food and got sorted at last. I think the main issue is that there's no help or info when you're starting. When you realise items re-spawn fairly quickly, it's easier. My main problem was trying to loot buildings that had already been looted, of course you run around and find nothing but if you were to wait and go back you probably would.

I will no doubt call on your services Sir, probably when I encounter the next problem whatever that will be!

ok man sure I'd be glad to help. I'm well established on day z so if its supplies you need then just message me here and I can hop servers and sort you out bro. it would however be easier is psn was exchanged. lol

18 hours ago, rackinglad27 said:

ok man sure I'd be glad to help. I'm well established on day z so if its supplies you need then just message me here and I can hop servers and sort you out bro. it would however be easier is psn was exchanged. lol

Okay great, PSN is Paulzx

Can you clear something up for me with the loot? So I've gone through a town, collected lot's of stuff I can't carry - I've literally dumped it all down on the ground but it's well out of sight and not easy to spot. I log out of the server and a few days later I log in to same server, spawn at correct place, but loot is all gone! I doubt a player saw it and removed every single item!

Is the loot you stash not supposed to stay in the same spot until you move it yourself?

3 hours ago, paulzx1 said:

Can you clear something up for me with the loot? So I've gone through a town, collected lot's of stuff I can't carry - I've literally dumped it all down on the ground but it's well out of sight and not easy to spot. I log out of the server and a few days later I log in to same server, spawn at correct place, but loot is all gone! I doubt a player saw it and removed every single item!

Is the loot you stash not supposed to stay in the same spot until you move it yourself?

ok yea if you just drop loot you cant carry onto the bare ground then it will despawn over time, it will also despawn on a server restart. it can also be the case that other player(s) found it but like you said you highly doubt this. the only way to keep your loot safe is to craft wooden crates by cutting a tree to get logs and using a saw to cut those logs into planks then getting nails and combining them with planks to craft a wooden crate. you can also find barrels and sea chests in the world to store equipment in so it doesn't despawn, also tents store loot or cars. you can't just drop loot on the ground and go offline for hours and then log back on and expect the loot to be there, the day z loot system is pretty efficient, after looting let's say a military camp, if you leave the area and go to another town and loot the town for maybe 15 to 20 minutes then return to the military camp then all the loot in the camp will have returned. remember craft crates to securely store your loot and cancel out the risk of your loot despawning.

3 hours ago, paulzx1 said:

I forgot to mention that when you store items in a crate, barrel or sea chest then you should find a shovel to bury the loot in storage so other players can't see it so easily. you will be able to tell where your loot is as long as you bury it in a memorable location, the colour of the ground will also turn to a greyish patch so you can actually see where you have buried it. I'd advise burying any loot stashes in patches of green long grass as this makes it even harder for other players to stumble upon.

Thanks, I wondered why my stuff had gone. You can store items in a barrel, can you use a fire barrel also?

With regards to loot, if you stash it in a room or building and lock the door to the room, will it stay in the locked room until somebody unlocks it or you return to collect it?

...and just one other thing that really P's me off, why is it that you never find out how you died? Several times now I have been in 100% health, well fed, well armed, alert, check outside the isolated building to make sure all is safe - there is only a zombie wandering close by but nothing to worry about - I step outside, look around, nobody in view for miles, switch to the axe and move to deal with the zombie and suddenly, in the process bingo, the 'sorry mate, you're dead' screen appears. Now I accept that I may have been sniped from a long long way off by the best sniper in the game (or perhaps he/she was hiding and I didn't see them when I checked) but why can't the game inform you of that? Why does it always seem like a game crash? The least Bohemia could do is give you a 'bang' noise... anyway, sorry, rant over... but it's just another thing to put off new players not knowing how/why you died.

Edited by Trev_Bash
rant added...

Hey rackinglad, seems like you give good advise and are someone who is willing to help. I've been playing on PS4 for a couple of weeks now and I really like the game.  But I'm an older player and sometimes the maturity level of some players is irritating.  Do you know of any servers or groups that are "MATURE" players only? Would appreciate it