Trev_Bash

Frame Rate Issues after Patch 1.10

Patch Version 1.10 downloaded itself yesterday and I can see from the notes that B.I. have addressed and fixed some issues. Unfortunately I now appear to be having serious frame rate issues.

I use a PS4 Pro and for 25% of the time the graphics are fine. The remaining 75% of the time the game runs from almost flickering to slow jerky to sometimes major jerky. It's at the point of being unplayable or at least unpleasant when it's bad. I can't work out whether it is connected to the local environment (currently I'm in forested areas), the weather, the number of zombies in the area or some other cause. Either way it is a real pain.

Is there any way of checking the frame rate? Does anyone else have the same problem since the v 1.10 patch? Are there any settings I can change to compensate?

I have heard some others having the same problem in Twitter responses.  I had a noticeably choppy experience in one session (I started renting a server again yesterday) but it wasn't as bad later on.  .....still choppier than usual though at times.

I suspect it had to do with some of the environmental tweaking / enhancements they made but who knows.  The thing is, I don't think they spend a lot of time optimizing for console with these updates.  .....or even play testing for that matter or they would have noticed obvious bugs like the mic issue. 

Personally, I wouldn't mind sacrificing some things like draw distance, better weather effects, etc. if it meant better performance.  I just put a car together and had one relatively bad lag event and rubberbanding but we'll see how it goes.  The inventory is still screwed up as items are still getting stuck unless you follow the workarounds.  .....not really sure what they fixed to be honest although navigation seems easier at times but there are still quirks with it.

BI are a frickin joke, the dont solve any problems with patches, mostly adding stuff and more bugs/issues.
i was hoping a patch after 1.05 would be solving issues so i could buy it again and play, but reading this ill pass yet another patch.
to bad BI dont care  enough to communicate with users to give answers and try to listen to wishes.

pretty much a crap company

Hey Trev.  Fyi.....  I just played a decently long session and noticed a lot of frame rate drops.  It got so bad I had to quit. 

I made a mistake renting a server for the month. I think I'm going to shelve this game after this.

• Thanks 1

This is a strange problem. My frame rate issues all occurred on a private server playing the Cherno map. It was so bad that I quit the game but before I actually turned off I went to a public EU Livonia server. Bizarrely there was no problem there at all.

I think I need to play some more to try to track down where the problem exists and where it doesn't...

Yes could be... I'm back on Livonia and there's not really any problem there just the very occasional stutter. Cherno however is just playing weirdly. It's difficult to describe. Inside buildings it's fine but outside anywhere it's just like a constant background flicker which I can only best describe as the frame rate being just too low. Don't know if it's a server thing but I haven't tried Cherno on public servers yet.

Same issues here since the patch. Frame rate on the whole i perceive is less than 24fps. Running through forests and towns in worst.

While i feel for everyone having this issue id be lieing if i didnt say i was glad it isnt just me and my server.

Cause i was already dreading eventually sending in another support ticket to get shit altered and moved after all that was just done over the 90 min crash loop my server was in for about 7 or so days...

These guys...

Saw someone provide a workaround on Twitter.

Try pressing the R1 button to bring up the item wheel when things begin to lag. This helped mitigate the problem for me.  It seems to happen whenever accessing your inventory or that of others, containers and when viewing items. Just tapping the button corrects the excessive frame rate drop for me.

Sucks to have to use yet another workaround but its better then nothing for now. The thing is, BI does know about it and say they are working on a fix.

Overall moving around for me has become so tiring now because of these frame rate issues. The other day it was so bad that I started to feel travel / motion sickness. I had to stop playing.

Funnily enough, if I dont move and observe trees and bushes moving in the wind they're very smooth. It's just the frame rate of moving around that's atrocious.

And seemingly as you are moving foward or backwards pressing the environment in one direction or the other but for me i dont get any of that if im sidestepping. Seems a lil weird to be walking sideways at times but if i wanna get a look at something while moving occasionally its easier...I have found the R1 thing to otherwise work which is replacing the sidestepping a bit now lol.

20 hours ago, Luves 12 said:

And seemingly as you are moving foward or backwards pressing the environment in one direction or the other but for me i dont get any of that if im sidestepping. Seems a lil weird to be walking sideways at times but if i wanna get a look at something while moving occasionally its easier...I have found the R1 thing to otherwise work which is replacing the sidestepping a bit now lol.

I've just become used to clicking R1 occasionally but again, I find the stuttering occurs mostly whenever you go into your inventory or that of other items, bodies and containers.  I just open the wheel briefly after that to avoid the frame rate drop

While annoying, this workaround works like a charm for me.