Sign in to follow this  
Dancedwithlions

The game now

Hi all,

I play on PS4 so hope it is okay posting this here, could not find a PS4 section on the website.

When the game was released to console I was delighted, having had watched quite a few YT vids from PC players it was a game I was interested in playing.

When I first started playing it was fun, yes there were a few bugs and issues here and there, but I figured that it was part and parcel of DayZ, after all you PC had been putting up with it for an age. With that said it was still okay to play.I did however get a bit fed up of the bugs and stopped playing for a while, I have recently started playing post the most recent update, I kind of wish I had never bothered.

Food resources have been dramatically reduced, yes I know it is supposed to be realism, canned food and tree fruit would still be a recourse in any eventuality. Yet there is hardly any, the only way I can find food now is to chase, yes chase, zombies and kill them hoping they might have a can or too of tinned fruit. If not then my character dies of starvation, it is a case of loot die, loot die loot die ect ect. I am not for one minute suggesting flood the map with food, but a bit more than what is available now would make for better game play, as opposed to continually dying.

Another factor, when I first started playing, it was easy to meet and chat with other players, you could group up or go PVP, it was your choice. Now though it is a case of "I have a machine gun you are a fresh spawn I am going to waste precious ammo and kill you" Or, us group of fully geared players are going to kill you regardless of the fact you have feck all on you to loot from.

Prior to console release, watching PC play, they were a lot of toxic players but it was not all bad. When first playing on console it was not that bad either, you could actually talk to another player, help them with food, drink Ect. Now though it is just full of players who just want to kill on sight regardless. The fun in the game in my opinion has gone.

Unless of course you know the map in side out, you know where the best weapons are, but if you don't your fecked, so where is the lastability  in game play for a newbie? You search towns for ages and ages and end with feck all, only to be killed by some fully geared twat who used his/her M16 as a substitute for another smaller item. As opposed to finding other geared players to play "Mine is bigger than your's" Games.

You could say I am "Salty" Lol maybe I am but I will say this, I would be more than happy to killed by a geared player, if I had anything of worth on me at the time other than a fecking glow torch. I do envy those of you that know your way around the map. I know of the DayZ map app, sadly my eyes are not that good and I can't really read the small detail anymore.

Thanks for reading my rambling post.

• Like 2

I cant understand your points and I agree with some. Food is scarce, but knowing how to obtain it and then keep it topped up and it rarely is an issue anymore unless you're a fresh spawn. Me personally, i always run the beach checking the small boats and usually after a little while I've got 3 or 4 cans. Then I always head to hunting lodges to get camo gear and refillable water canteens. Then, hydration no longer becomes an issue.

Most of your gripes come from lack of knowing where to go first and to survive your first few days after spawning. I was the same, but now we're flourishing. I have sea chests buried with several end game weapons, food, night vision goggles and other useful items. It's about learning from your mistakes and not making them again.

As for other players, I tend not to shoot fresh spawn unless it's to defend myself. Last night for example, I met 2 fresh spawns. They tried to punch me to death from both sides. I have no choice but to draw my weapon and waste them. But, they also give me human fat when i skin them, which when cooked is one of the most nutritious food sources in the game and safe to eat.

We survived and learned to capitalise on others behaviour.

• Like 2

He is right about one thing. There are no friends at least not on ps4 lol. Not unless you bring them from irl to the game.

In a couple months at best time my buddies and I went from the mind your own business just get by and mostly let bygones be and all.

But no no no in just a short time we avoid or wait on potential interactions with other survivors just hiding out and potecting the house we currently were in.

That was like stage 1 turnover.

Stage 2 turns into a bit more.

We may still play it safe and smart but now we are actively looking for advantageous situations where we have the upper hand hunting down all but maybe fresh spawns (honestly that depends on food) if we are in serious need then those frehies need to be fleeced for potential fruit. That really hasnt happened much but i/we wouldnt hesitate.

3rd stage i know will be a complete abandonment of cares and not only will we likely look to hunt down any gunshot we hear in the distance but those freshies might have to catch some death still cause at that point i think we might unknowingly transition to full blown bandits.

Needless to say our style of bandit wont be very nice or have much shame left for the actions we take.

This is a letter from a once mostly moral team of friends and family.

This world and the remaining people in it demand a far more sinister brand of human being to sustain on these roads!

• Beans 1

here are my hints:

1) with a fresh character choose a server with low population, aim coastside get food and drybag from boat, never drink water bottle

2) then move in village/town, aim for shovel/alchol tincture/scotch/sewing kit/water bottle (these things are 100 times better than super best assault rifles in the first hours

3) pour water bottle on ground, disinfect, fill on fountain (now this will be your drinking main resource)

4) now begin to dig and store extra equipment/thing that you need if die and respawn 

5) check players list on server, choose one that speak your language and don't be shy, contact and ask to play together

6) now it's up to you :)

Edited by supernick

Ettab, Luves12 and Supernick. Thank you so much for your informative replies, I shall take on board your advice and keep trying.

Ettab you are correct, it is not knowing my way around that is a big issue at the moment, hopefully that will change.

There are wells at Nizhnoye, Berezino lower town (two), Svetloyarsk, Solnechy, Elektro, Prigo and Balota just from memory along the coast depending on where you spawn which you can fill your stomach with and will last a long time. Kill Zombies for cans of food and drink, greenhouses in gardens have Peppers Tomatoes Potatoes as well as tins of food and drink and the gardens have loads of Apples, Pears and Plums which along with Animal/Human Kills should keep you going for as long as your character lives. I struggled early days but now its never an issue. Even Livonia I am learning quickly and it is never an issue but I admit it is harder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luves 12 said:

He is right about one thing. There are no friends at least not on ps4 lol. Not unless you bring them from irl to the game.

Ain't this the truth and the best advice to take heed of...

Everyone WILL kill you to take your stuff rather than look for it themselves. If you can't outrun them and hide then as soon as the chance presents itself kill them, 'cos if you don't you'll be dead and regretting it over and over again. Actually you can probably cut out the running and hiding bit, just kill them or die in the attempt. Go down fighting.

Since fishing became a possibility, I have found it's been a great source of food.  

The boats along the coast that have been good for food sources in the past but I find are slim pickings these days although still better than most other places.  However, they have been great for finding fishing poles and hooks so far.  If you come across a pole and hook(s) while looking for cans of food and loot homes for a knife and matches, you're good to go.  You can then dig up worms using the knife on grassy ground, combine them with the hook(s), combine with the pole and then fish off the coast. 

Find a long stick by harvesting bushes, gather shorts sticks, cut trees if you have an axe, etc. for logs to build a fire.  You'll need to gut and fillet the fish by using your knife before you can combine with your long stick and cook them.

I have found cooked fish are some of the best, most effective sources of food.  I noticed that when I'm in the yellow, just half a fish will bring my character back up to full or really close to it.  Catch and cook a few fish and you're good to go for a while.  

You can also fabricate a pole and hooks using animal bones if needed.  .....just remember to wash or sterilize your hands after butchering. 

.....and the Infected are good sources for canned goods too as mentioned.  More so than boats these days IME / IMO.

3 hours ago, supernick said:

3) pour water bottle on ground, disinfect, fill on fountain (now this will be your drinking main resource)

I've heard this before but I have found that ever since they introduced this mechanic, all I had to do is empty the bottle, canteen, etc. and then fill it with water from a clean source and all was good.  I've never disinfected my containers and never became ill because of it.  I guess I've either been really lucky or maybe it's not really required? 

For me the biggest killer in the game right now is rain. If you're caught in a sudden thunder storm the cold and wet drain your calories and health quicker than running around. I've come so close to dying even on my fully geared characters that now whenever it rains we wait the storm out inside a building.

Rain and being wet drains your calories so quickly it's easy to starve to death if you've no food on you after an extended period in the rain. To me it's more dangerous than coming face to face with another geared player.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, etaab said:

For me the biggest killer in the game right now is rain. If you're caught in a sudden thunder storm the cold and wet drain your calories and health quicker than running around. I've come so close to dying even on my fully geared characters that now whenever it rains we wait the storm out inside a building.

Rain and being wet drains your calories so quickly it's easy to starve to death if you've no food on you after an extended period in the rain. To me it's more dangerous than coming face to face with another geared player.

I agree, the rain kills your energy reserves so so quickly...

Another problem for me just lately is illness. I have contracted illness or a virus from various sources and I'm never quite sure how to get rid of it. Sometimes rotten fruit does it, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes raw meat does it, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it just slows you down then burns itself out. I had a virus recently and it didn't seem to cause any problem at all until I next ate something. Then it took hold and I was continually sick, I couldn't find a cure and died. What are the best ways to cure yourself? 

primary solution : tetracine pills, use one, wait until effect gone, use another one and so on....with 2-3 pills you should recovered

secondary solution: drink and eat OFTEN but in minor amount, example: eat spaghetti but only half or less total food. goal is to have yellow icon without hangover, if you manage you can recover after sometime

third: for illness try codeine pills or wait very long time in a remote village hoping that no one will come and detect you

Edited by supernick
  • Thanks 1

Multivitamins also seem to have a good effect. It depends on the bug you contract. Sometimes tetracycline pills work, sometimes they don't. Charcoal tablets also help.

The best way to avoid such problems is to not eat raw meat, rotten fruit, etc. Things you wouldn't do in real life why would do them in the game ?

• Thanks 1

Well we recently discovered this through the need and later the hope that we would try w.e to stay alive.

Multivitamins are my new best friend/most loved item in the game now.

We found that you can eat any or at least certain types of raw meat without getting sick (deer, chicken, we have tried) i dont think we tested human yet if you just have 2 multivitamins. The weird virus thing wont even pop up if you hoover 2 vites before or after eating raw meat.

Animal and human fat are prob 2 of the best edible things in the game (especially cooked) and its my understanding the human fat will not get you sick. Dont know about animal or either for that matter cause we havent tested it but i seen that in ome of those 106 dayz tips.

Which is where i offer my next wisdom. When its raining and your trapped outside find trees!!

If they are big enough or are bunched enough or you can get under/inside them then do it the trees can provide either full cover of done well or at least lessen it. A buddy and I just last night only got damp in a rain storm and we were only so well under cover from our respective trees.

Even if its not full proof if your trapped out and going to risk dancing in the rain anyway then you might as well give it a whirl.

One of the posters is correct. Prob better then 80-90% of the time you really dont need to disinfect the bottle (i do anyway just to be safe if i have it) but here is where caution may serve you.

I say this as ive already thought of setting people up like this myself. You can use your disposable water bottle cause you have a few maybe even some canteens. Will work especially well if you have tetra pills. Go ahead get yourself sick and then you slug that water bottle so that sickness is on bottle not just a microbe from the water source.

Obvioisly heal yourself up then take unsuspecting bottle to some place that A someone will run into but also B a bit off the path of nearby water increasing the chances of them not being careful and thorough and needing to use.

Now your effectively killing off survivors without ever even coming into contact. Unless you wait it out to see your dastardly plan play out lol.

Now your on some Lex Luthor shit bring this world and the survivors in it to their knees all with the power of a little fun thought 🙂

so yeah if it wasnt clear if your dying anyway and need food. Slaughter any animal or human near by carve em up and if you got those vites pop a couple and go to town on them meats!!

Btw if your playing on Chernarus and you end up spawning at the hell hole of kimbIwobo there is water just north of that stupid place up on the hill kinda where those couple random houses are. Helpful cause i find that place to be the 9th circle of hell.

Lots of freshies lots of Z's and crap all for items. Thats what i see there 99.99999999% of the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Def have not tried this yet. But the video also showed that if you get cut open and cant bandage if you just stand still for 5 minutes straight it will apparently cauterize the wound on its own and you will be good to go.

18 hours ago, etaab said:

Yep like night if it starts raining heavy I just log off. Thats why I am posting this now. My two main characters on two different servers its just hammering down so I find shelter and go. Not worth the hassle.

While i agree the rain is overly annoying these days i also have found it to be less and less of an issue.

I always had the thought the rain would ruin my gear each time or wouldnt dry either for a seriously long time or not at all somehow.

None of which is true. Maybe it brings the quality down faster (im not sure) but the rest mehhh.

Plus ive run in a few rain storms now and although i havent gone to the extent of being out in say 2 or 3 storms back to back ive never even gotten a cough or any sickness from the cold and being soaked. Clothes tend to dry prob within 5 or so mins depending how wet they got.

Additionally if you have various pills and or heat packs even cooked food apparently still holds some form of heat value while on your person you can walk freely out in it. Whether pills or injections if they will keep you warm you could probably roll around on the ground and be just fine.

Personally the more i learn from in game play and various videos when i need some tips the less of an issue the rain becomes.

Really tho learning trees can provide dry cover to any degree mostly rendered the rain neutered to me.

• Like 1

Try wringing your clothes out also, it helps them dry faster and the effects of being wet lessen on your person.