Sign in to follow this  
DeepEuphoria

Returning veteran player - some questions before I jump back in

Hey everyone, as the title says I'm a veteran player of 3600hrs played in standalone over multiple accounts and ran dozens of private servers for my own DayZ gaming community back in the day, but like many when the new engine was being worked on so game updates were slow and minor, I grew tired and left DayZ around 0.59/0.60.
But now with modding in full swing and new maps arriving, I'm getting the urge to fire up DayZ again. So, I thought it would be a good idea to ask about a few things before back in as it's been a long time and a lot has changed.

1. First of all, are there any major game-breaking bugs I should be aware of in (I think) it's v1.05?
  2. Have the glitchable buildings like the Camo/HQ, Green Moustache, and ATC been fixed or should I still avoid them?
  3. Have bulletproof leaves/tree branches finally been fixed or will a tiny individual leaf still absorb a 7.62 round like it's armor plate?
  4. With any game, scripters/hackers/cheaters will always be a thing, but what is the current scene in DayZ: are they very occasional, common but only on public servers, everywhere?
  5. Is it still necessary to edit all the distance parameters in the config to get DayZ to run smoothly, but also to make it look nice and spot players at long distances?
  6. Are ladders, rocks, and running on stairs still Russian Roulette?
  7. Do the infected still glitch through walls and doors? Also, can and do they still 1-bomb you occasionally even when you're fully healthy?
  8. Are shotguns now usable or are they still weak AF and ruin every single piece of loot on the player?
  9. Do clothing and items in your inventory provide bullet protect? - Excluding the obvious plate carrier and ballistic helmet, I mean does leather clothing still prevent bleeding and offer a little bit of protection from low caliber rounds, or cooking pots, books, and/or protector cases give some protection?  
  10. Any big things you think I might need to be aware of?
  11. And lastly, any server recommendations for as close to vanilla as possible but with the survival aspect turned up to 11, mostly PvE servers would be best until I've got back into it with learning the controls and mechanics again, plus one of the greatest experiences I've ever had on DayZ was way back when experimental pushed the survival aspect to insane levels, when you really had to plan a journey from Servograde to the NWAF because you got hypothermia after 10-minutes if you wasn't wearing super thick clothes and food was very scarce, people had to trade with other players as you couldn't risk shooting someone and ruining their food or warm clothes.

Of course, I will figure out of a lot of stuff as I go but the major stuff like game-breaking bugs, buildings to avoid because of glitchers, general things to not pick up, or old legacy derpy stuff that's still in would be great to know about before getting, DayZ'ed 🙂
Thanks, everyone.

1 hour ago, DeepEuphoria said:

Hey everyone, as the title says I'm a veteran player of 3600hrs played in standalone over multiple accounts and ran dozens of private servers for my own DayZ gaming community back in the day, but like many when the new engine was being worked on so game updates were slow and minor, I grew tired and left DayZ around 0.59/0.60.
But now with modding in full swing and new maps arriving, I'm getting the urge to fire up DayZ again. So, I thought it would be a good idea to ask about a few things before back in as it's been a long time and a lot has changed.

1. First of all, are there any major game-breaking bugs I should be aware of in (I think) it's v1.05?

Yes inventory and cars are not trustworthy. 

1. Have the glitchable buildings like the Camo/HQ, Green Moustache, and ATC been fixed or should I still avoid them?

They are fine now

1. Have bulletproof leaves/tree branches finally been fixed or will a tiny individual leaf still absorb a 7.62 round like it's armor plate?

Yes they will

1. With any game, scripters/hackers/cheaters will always be a thing, but what is the current scene in DayZ: are they very occasional, common but only on public servers, everywhere?

Stick to private servers more reasons the Just cheaters. Hopping is a new mechanic now..... Not a good one

1. Is it still necessary to edit all the distance parameters in the config to get DayZ to run smoothly, but also to make it look nice and spot players at long distances?

I dont know

1. Are ladders, rocks, and running on stairs still Russian Roulette?

Not to my exerience

1. Do the infected still glitch through walls and doors? Also, can and do they still 1-bomb you occasionally even when you're fully healthy?

No not as much as they used to.

Yes they van.

1. Are shotguns now usable or are they still weak AF and ruin every single piece of loot on the player?

Yes and yes

1. Do clothing and items in your inventory provide bullet protect? - Excluding the obvious plate carrier and ballistic helmet, I mean does leather clothing still prevent bleeding and offer a little bit of protection from low caliber rounds, or cooking pots, books, and/or protector cases give some protection?  

Havent noticed...

1. Any big things you think I might need to be aware of?

Bows are not in.

Bears are.

1. And lastly, any server recommendations for as close to vanilla as possible but with the survival aspect turned up to 11, mostly PvE servers would be best until I've got back into it with learning the controls and mechanics again, plus one of the greatest experiences I've ever had on DayZ was way back when experimental pushed the survival aspect to insane levels, when you really had to plan a journey from Servograde to the NWAF because you got hypothermia after 10-minutes if you wasn't wearing super thick clothes and food was very scarce, people had to trade with other players as you couldn't risk shooting someone and ruining their food or warm clothes.

I Just do vanilla.

Of course, I will figure out of a lot of stuff as I go but the major stuff like game-breaking bugs, buildings to avoid because of glitchers, general things to not pick up, or old legacy derpy stuff that's still in would be great to know about before getting, DayZ'ed 🙂
Thanks, everyone.

Have fun. Read up on the 1.06 exp and stable threads.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, McWendy said:

Yes inventory and cars are not trustworthy. 

They are fine now

-Snip-

Oh wow, you answered everything. Thank you, McWendy, I really appreciate that.

I'm pretty perplexed though to hear bulletproof leaves and branches are still a thing, and that infected, although improved, still glitch through walls and doors, I really thought after all this time those big issues would be fixed by now.
Oh well, time to give it a try and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the info and advice.
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays.

• Beans 1

@DeepEuphoria no problem. 

Dont forget there are a lot of AAA titles where hitting thin air with Bullets is still a thing. Hell even bfv you can hit airpixels. Only R6S Comes to my mind of a game not having weird hitboxes.

As for the glitchy infected this is related to self base building structures. Havent seen them glitch through regular doors.

Is DayZ what its supposed to be ?(in 6/7 years) No

Is there anything other like DayZ out there? No

So we may aswell enjoy the things that do work. The game IS (however slowly) getting better.

• Like 2
  • Beans 1