Sign in to follow this  
supernick

helicopter crash questions

some days ago i discovered a smoked helicopter crash which provide me my glorious ka-m.

here are some questions concerning this argument.

1) you can discover helicrash when it is just on the ground right? you don't see it falling from the sky?

2) they spawn always at server restart not in other way?

3) someone can confirm that there are two types of helicrash, with or without smoke?

4) there are chance in a helicrash to find 2 or more big weapons or always just one? 

Edited by supernick

When you find a Heli Crash they will always be on the ground, you will never see them fall from the sky like a dead bird. I'm not entirely sure if they spawn at server restarts or not because I know they are supposed to spawn every 30Mins as far as i'm aware at random locations obviously. There is indeed two different types of helicopter crashes within DayZ and that is the Russian MI-8 which is the one you can find with no smoke billowing from the rotor, and then there is the US UH-1Y Venom which is the one you found (With the smoke). I think there might be a very very very slight chance of finding two weapons on the Heli Crashes but it's very rare from all of them i've found. Seems like there is always only one weapon at the crash sites (On official servers at least) from what i've seen over the multiple i've actually found untouched. Hope this helped you out a little.

These are the so call dynamic events, besides helicopters there are also police cars. They spawn at server restart and then reposition every 30 minutes. Specifically helicopters, there's up to 3 of them, maybe 4, spawned with each server restart. Their repositioning is a bit stupid, because they will reposition regardless of player vicinity. We have seen a helicopter de-spawn right in front of our eyes, while running towards it. You can read a bit more here:
https://dayz.gamepedia.com/Helicopter_Crash_Sites

today i spawned just 20 seconds before another smoked helicrash appeared, found a ka 101, and wait some minutes for records, after 15 minutes it disappeared.

so it is true that helicrash spawns every 30 minutes, non smoked one has a better chance of sniper rifle? 

I can confirm that two weapons have a chance to spawn at a crash site. I found M4-A1 and KAS-74U, which was confusing and exciting. I play on a 1PP official server.

Edited by EzyStriderPS4

is it me or are heli crashes more rrrrare now on official servers? i search high and low for them and out of 25 heli crashes ive found 1 vsd 1vss and  1 ka-74. ill sure run into 1 or 2 wolfpack’s a day though. that’s a a garuntee.

i play on eu9257 official server, and find a smoked helicopter each 1- 2 days, of course 80% times are just empty 'cause other players.

i play always in the western zone, and without looking for, a crash often appear, but never met a non-smoked one

• Beans 1

12 hours ago, saltmcgault said:

is it me or are heli crashes more rrrrare now on official servers? i search high and low for them and out of 25 heli crashes ive found 1 vsd 1vss and  1 ka-74. ill sure run into 1 or 2 wolfpack’s a day though. that’s a a garuntee.

As said above, they rotate, so it is not uncommon that you go through the map and find none. 

Yeah, I've found one in my whole time playing and that was at the NW airbase. Luck of the draw but then again, I'm not going out of my way to look for them either.  I'll simply visit the area if I'm nearby.

1 hour ago, William Sternritter said:

As said above, they rotate, so it is not uncommon that you go through the map and find none. 

i put a lot of time on this game i know they’re uncommon but since the update they are absolutely nowhere to be found.

57 minutes ago, saltmcgault said:

i put a lot of time on this game i know they’re uncommon but since the update they are absolutely nowhere to be found.

Here's an option to consider: Rather than try to cover as many sites as you can in a session, maybe attempt to rotate through a 6-10 crash site loop because the sites are randomized every 30 mins.  So think of it in this way:  Get to as many crash sites as you can in 30 minutes, then look again in the same places.  Change up your "loops" every now and then to increase probabilities.  On Oct. 31st I saw smoke at the top of a hill, ran up there, and by that time it had de-spawned!   Keep searching dude!

Edited by EzyStriderPS4
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, EzyStriderPS4 said:

Here's an option to consider: Rather than try to cover as many sites as you can in a session, maybe attempt to rotate through a 6-10 crash site loop because the sites are randomized every 30 mins.  So think of it in this way:  Get to as many crash sites as you can in 30 minutes, then look again in the same places.  Change up your "loops" every now and then to increase probabilities.  On Oct. 31st I saw smoke at the top of a hill, ran up there, and by that time it had de-spawned!   Keep searching dude!

Exactly. You're not having trouble finding them because they are hard to find, but because they shit which means by the time you get to the site where it is, it relocates to a site you've already visited but you won't get there for another 30 minutes and it will shift again before you return there. 

I found quite a few in Crash Sites and rare guns in September when I started DayZ PS4 but as we have progressed into November I find less and less. I have found though that near the crash areas I have been finding more and more small tented areas or small bases filled with tents full of Ammo Guns and gear in wooded areas around the crash sites. I got lost yesterday after a skirmish with a gang of three and found myself on the Northern edge of the map near Troitskoe Mil Base and Krasnoe found three areas in the woods within about 20 mins full of loot and nobody home while I broke in. This I find regularly in the North of the map so get off the beaten path as well as I find it productive in searching for good gear.

Edited by generalmayhem

On 10/21/2019 at 2:21 AM, William Sternritter said:

These are the so call dynamic events, besides helicopters there are also police cars. They spawn at server restart and then reposition every 30 minutes. Specifically helicopters, there's up to 3 of them, maybe 4, spawned with each server restart. Their repositioning is a bit stupid, because they will reposition regardless of player vicinity. We have seen a helicopter de-spawn right in front of our eyes, while running towards it. You can read a bit more here:
https://dayz.gamepedia.com/Helicopter_Crash_Sites

Same here. I found one and thought great, I'll scoop up everything, run away and wait like ten minutes, come back and re-loot. As I'm running towards it, I get about ten yards away and it *boop*. Gone. Vanished just like that right in front of me. I didn't think stuff de-spawned like that. Right in front of you like that, I mean. Sad to say the least.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

22 hours ago, generalmayhem said:

I found quite a few in Crash Sites and rare guns in September when I started DayZ PS4 but as we have progressed into November I find less and less. I have found though that near the crash areas I have been finding more and more small tented areas or small bases filled with tents full of Ammo Guns and gear in wooded areas around the crash sites. I got lost yesterday after a skirmish with a gang of three and found myself on the Northern edge of the map near Troitskoe Mil Base and Krasnoe found three areas in the woods within about 20 mins full of loot and nobody home while I broke in. This I find regularly in the North of the map so get off the beaten path as well as I find it productive in searching for good gear.

Yes, on server where I play (PC thought), for a while this was the best way to get geared. Ironically enough, looking for player stashes and looting them is actually more rewarding and less dangerous than going into military bases and such. 

• Like 1