Sign in to follow this  
Scooter2shoes

What dictates ko vs death?

Just as the title states, what is it that decides whether you get knocked out or get instantly killed? A few of my squadmates always seem to get lucky and only get knocked out where as i havent been knocked out a single time in countless instances. Also every single person ive shot ive had to finish the kill when they start getting up. Is there any reasoning behind this or is it just random luck? 

Edit- for the record, the whole thing is stupid as hell, everyone should either get knocked everytime, or just outright die everytime. This random shit is dumb af.

Edited by Scooter2shoes

12 hours ago, Scooter2shoes said:

Just as the title states, what is it that decides whether you get knocked out or get instantly killed? A few of my squadmates always seem to get lucky and only get knocked out where as i havent been knocked out a single time in countless instances. Also every single person ive shot ive had to finish the kill when they start getting up. Is there any reasoning behind this or is it just random luck? 

Edit- for the record, the whole thing is stupid as hell, everyone should either get knocked everytime, or just outright die everytime. This random shit is dumb af.

DayZ is a bit more complicated than other games that use a classic "KO"-state. Most games just have one simple health bar and the KO appears always when it runs out.

We on the other hand have a separation between overall health, blood and the shock that players are suffering. I don't want to go into too much detail, but weaker players (in terms of blood-loss) go KO easier, and damage against the head does more damage. Some weapons do more shock than others and armour can reduce this kind of damage.

At the end of the day this means that it is not luck that defines if someone goes unconscious, but it is also more difficult for the player to actually calculate it.

So if in doubt: double tab.

• Thanks 1

@Scooter2shoes  1.04 introduced ‘check pulse’... this option only appears when a player is alive. When they are dead it will say ‘survivor’ (ironically)... 

Although, I WISH you  had to check the pulse of a dead player, too. It doesn’t make sense that we magically know a player is dead by looking at them.

• Like 2

I like that idea, Pugman.  The option should be available whether the other player is deceased or unconscious.  Then the reading will let you know how to proceed.