Sign in to follow this  
Blizzaze

Rocket, don't do it like Notch

First off, I'm playing DayZ since one month now and I've had my fair share of equip, PvP, PvE, vehicles and all that good stuff. I know pretty much every loot spawn and the usual hotspots.

At this point I feel like the gameplay has reached a certain point of stagnation for me. When I respawn at the right position and with a bit of luck I'm able to fully equip with a good primary, a secondary, hunting gear and generic loot in less than 30 minutes.

With my oldest survivor ever I even deliberately ran into Cherno to die to another player since I had nothing else to do than camping the airfield or stary. I had everything except NVG.

Now don't misunderstand this. The game is still amazing, especially in terms of interaction with other players. At this point, the game simply misses some motivating endgame content to keep fully geared players from getting bored and sniping noobs along the coast.

This is where the title comes into play. I've played Minecraft since the early alpha version and witnessed every new feature Notch has introduced since then, until the final release.

The game was great until a certain point where piling up blocks to make a huge castle, hunting monsters for loot and mining ores for items just wasn't fun anymore. Simply put, it got old.

Notch tried to counteract this by putting more endgame content into the game. The Nether, Endermen and the end, villages, strongholds and other stuff you probably know.

While all this was fun to explore for a few hours, it didn't change the core of the game: Mining and piling up blocks to get items and build stuff.

And that had gotten old for me already. Due to that I never really returned to Minecraft after checking out a major update.

Now I'm witnessing another game in alpha stage with a lack of endgame content. What I want to say is that Rocket should take the history of Minecraft as an example on how to not put endgame into his mod.

For example he could just put some extremly rare weapons into the game and declare them endgame content. But that wouldn't remove the real problem and rather postpone it until the player finds that weapon.

A good endgame update for example would be a place on the map designed for group gameplay. Somehow similar to dungeons. I know "tis isn't WoW!!!!1111" and I don't think the conception of dungeons would fit into his game, just take the general idea of it as an example on how such a group content could look like.

Obviously it would not create more endgame for fully equipped clans and groups, but maybe lone wolfs that need to group up for it.

I think player interaction is the biggest endgame plus this game has. In my opinion the best way to enhance this is through metagame rather than pure feature addition (like more weapons or zombie types or whatever).

Incase you don't get what I mean with metagame: When people go to the airfield to fight other players there because they know it's a highly frequented pace, that's metagame. A feature not directly in the game as an entity, but still recognized by the players as a part of the game so to say.

Look at Starcraft II. Blizzard hasn't put a single content update up since the release and to be honest, the gameplay is really dull. Collect money, build units, fight the enemy. That's it and yet it's the most played game besides LoL in competetive gaming. This is because players create, change and shift the metagame constantly.

That being said, thanks for the read and maybe even Rocket reads this. Who knows.

You are aware there are players for whom minecraft has never gotten old?

A friend of mine just installed a huge modpack and theres easy 40h of new stuff in there.

I mean you need to be the kind of person to either experiment with itemcombinations for another 150h to find the new things to build or spend 10h on the wiki, but there is stuff there.

SC2 is a completely different game. Every new player that gets attracted to the battlenet is endgame content for sc2.

Dayz then is a combination of the two. So really your whole post makes no sense.

thats all confusing and stupid and I dont know but:

How would more stuff detract from your game? If your point is that sc2 stayed great without stuff getting added would minecraft have been a better game without the endgame stuff?

heres some more trash:

Imo DayZ would get value from every new item thats added. If I can find 40 different pistols that use 9mm ammo I can discuss with people how much better my gun is than theirs.

People wont like the scenario of a dude with a desert eagle and a hello kitty backpack vs a dude with dual berettas and all black clothes, but to those two dudes that would add some value.

Wouldn't compare anyone to Notch. Notch is lazy and never did anything. All he did was create a really crappy Minecraft engine for the most part with no features but such a large procedural generating world. Then he set back and let modders do absolutely everything for him and did nothing else ever again. Then when modders made the game so popular and added features he hired others to do the work that he should have been doing.

Just Rocket should continue this mod and not leaving and going to make another one. (Notch did that with Minecraft!)

To elaborate on end game how about a secret military Island that you either fly or boat to with harder mobs that's need the military gear to kill but has like a safe zone town for trading or something that way people try to work together to get to that island.

I think it would be great to add some quest line that you could choose to follow, just would add more variety to the game and would give players other stuff to do.

End-Game Idea...

We're running on the ARMA engine that has several "islands".

What about after acheiving some type of tangible goal (reconstruct a chopper, survive 50 Dayz, kill 1000 zombies, become a saint or a devil, unravel the mysterious radio transmission, befirend one of the ghosts that wander Chernarus, whatever) then the next time you log in, a new island gets unlocked and you get the option to go to a new place island to explore. Maybe with different zombie mechanics, different weapons, etc... Maybe it's an island where the remnants of the local military are actively fighting zombies and players alike... I don't know... Opens the idea of other DAYZ islands being created.

Return trip or one way? Don't know...

Gear moving between "islands"? Don't know..

Just an idea...

Let me know when you're first on leaderboards as longest time survived... then we can talk about "endgame"

You cant be seriously thinking that SC2 doesnt have endgame. The endgame in SC2 is its difficulty. Only less than 1% of players can actually control the game and understand it properly. And after that its about your brain, if you are smart enough to get into top top tiers. Engame = master the game.

I think proper endgame for dayz is in making the map more interesting, creating secret bases which open only at midnight etc. Later maybe implementing some informations about infection itself, trying to create some story line. Adding some rumors into the game, like some very rare NPCs, military groups ... Im pretty sure its not about creating some safe zones or "raid islands".

The game is ultimately about players interactions and anything else is just a shell.

I agree with the OP.

Our group has a nice tent spot, with everything in it. M107,as50 and everything else including NVG and GPS. We dont got much to do left, some of us allready restarted/respawned just to do some cherno/elektro for the fun of doing it.

Me for example, is just Hiding in the North, avoiding others and does some loot runs. That it, nothing much left to do.

I Would love other locations to explore. I know all the Maps in Arma but chernogorsk was allready boring at the beginning, because the most of the Arma 2 campaign is on it.

Games don't last forever, nor do they have to.

Stop playing for a while. Move on to something new and master that. And possibly come back in a year or so to see what the devs have been up to.

And people who say that developers should stick to one game/mod only and never do anything else (and call Notch lazy, WTF??), get out of your high tree. I hate your opinion with a passion.

You have everything, are bored? Go start a war with a big group, join one, or help other people. There is always something you can do, and there's, in theory, always MOAR MOAR MOAR to get.

I think if rocket or someone were going to work out what the end game is all about, they would have to work out why we are all washing up on the beach, I mean why are we here, why did we come here, is it because the whole world is infected and we all trying to escape here, or is it only Chernarus is it surrounded by an exclusion zone and why what happened here?

Find a feasible answer to these questions and you are half way to working out the end game.

I use to love minecraft, but Notch is a lazy **** who never finished Minecraft,( what about the oceans, no fish, no sea weed etc...?)

The OP is right on this score, rocket heed the curse of Notch, please don't get bigger than your boots.

Yeah, the reason this mod took off was creating your own story, saying "there's nothing to do" is metagame meaning you've done everything you think you should do. Why not try something small, like take over a small town with pretty much no loot? Then move to something bigger, maybe Berezino? Then eventually gain control of Cherno or Elektro, taking out those hordes of zombies and new spawns.

I do like the idea of things that are inaccessible unless you have certain gear though, like you may need an ATV for a bridge jump? Or a chopper or boat for an island?