InversionSR

Realism vs keeping new players

I posted this elsewhere and it kind of brought up the issue ive been having with me and my friends joining the game.

Main problems

1. Very hard surviving without weapon, especially since im an unlucky person in computer games but very lucky in real life.

2. Almost impossible to meet -up without using the on-line maps and re spawning until you get close to ur friends.

3. Leeway the Mod should still be noob friendly to some extent so new players can join, but also hardcore so all the "hardcore/seasoned players" have fun.

4. the makarov and 6 mags, food, water and bandages was one extreme of too much starting resources. Starting with 1 bandage is the opposite extreme. Why not a melee weapon or simply 2 bandages, 1 thing of food, 1 of water/coke.

5. Server difficulty? it doesn't do anything at the moment but perhaps players could have different starts and stat drains (ie food,water, blood), easy could be spawning with the makarov and ammo etc, normal a melee and bandages, hard/"core" could be spawning with nothing. This could also be applied to the PVP aspects ie easy no pvp or maybe only inland, normal pvp but not along coastal/main spawn areas (to encourage the making of teams), Hard full pvp with spawn killing etc.server data could hold a different save for each difficulty option

6. I really like this mod and i think it could be so much more massive, maybe even a game in itself ($$). and its made by a kiwi!!

Anyway heres the post that inspired it, tell em what you think? (in a constructive way, since thats how you improve a game, not by spamming "man up noob"

RE: Suggestion: Realism please!

LOL AT REALISM. The original reason for not spawning with anything is they felt it wasn't "hardcore"/immersive enough to spawn with a gun and ammo. In a zombie apocalypse people wouldn't just run off into the wilderness with torch and a bandage so they could be more :"hardcore".

I personally have a variety of melee weapons at home i would take as well as bandages, food, water and a scoped 22. rifle. At the very least i would take a bit of metal pipe or a wooden board first opportunity i got. Its what any semi-intelligent human being would do.

On the other hand most people have only one or two guns per family if in the country and generally would take them with them so max realism would probably make guns and ammo AMAZINGLY SCARCE, but would make food, water, melee weapons and medical supplies AMAZINGLY COMMON as almost every living person in the 2nd and first world countries owns theses. So more realism would make survival loot ie bandages really common, but people wouldn't kindly drop rifles and ammo on the floor.

So the issue is this where to draw the line, do we want realism of Fewer guns more food etc, but more intelligent post apocalypse survivors or more hardcore with much fewer new players joining the mod due to the difficulty of surviving up to 33 minutes?

ill just leave it there...

Basically they took the gun out as a test to see wether new players starting out would bond because they cant beat each other to death. Whether they will add back in a starting weapon idk. No difference to me. I find guns way fast i think it needs to be harder. Most the stuff you mentioned here has already been posted and people just need to wait for updates as devs have already heard and are thinking of implementing them most likely.

Basically they took the gun out as a test to see wether new players starting out would bond because they cant beat each other to death. Whether they will add back in a starting weapon idk. No difference to me. I find guns way fast i think it needs to be harder. Most the stuff you mentioned here has already been posted and people just need to wait for updates as devs have already heard and are thinking of implementing them most likely.

Spose a lot of this is probably elsewhere im just grouping it up so it doesnt get hidden behind all the "game needs to be more hardcore"

In all honesty, the learning curve isn't as bad as you make it. To me, anyway. It might be because I'm a trained survivalist, but I managed to learn how to do this in a week. I'm considering starting a little training session for new players, since sometimes you just need to learn from a player. Reading guides and watching videos can't get it all, you know.

Anyway, a few basics, an you can hold out for as long as your caution level will let you.

add a melee weapon for starter toons... give the noobs a starting chance if anything... otherwise i would say its not an issue as once someone meets a loot spot you dont have to worry about respawning unarmed

I do agree with a melee weapon. I think it's silly to have to run cross country every time a single zombie sees you, and hiding from them can be glitchy at the moment due to clip and detection bugs. I say we give them a crowbar. That way even hatchets would be a step up, but they have SOMETHING to use against one or two zombies at a time. I remember dying so many times just because I was unarmed and zombies physically blocked the exits to the building I was in.

Finding a weapon isnt that hard, but it does take new players a few attempts to realise that this game needs to be played in a completely different fashion than all other games. For example, spawning and then running down a road - the number of times i have seen survivors just sprinting along roads always gives me a laugh.

Be cautious, use distractions, never run near buildings, soon you will find a weapon and the feeling you will get will be much greater than being given a gun on spawn. It will mean something - and then as you get more and more stuff the paranoia will kick in.

That's the main thing. Every new player, it seems, takes it to one of two extremes. Either A, they pay no attention to the pretty little squiggles on the right side of the screen and end up with a shrieking, hooting swarm of maneating demons after them, or they hit the floor and crawl every time they see a drunk-looking idler stumbling around in the next field over. One will get frustrated from the sheer amount of death he experiences, the other from the self-imposed stress and the snail pace they're experiencing.

They just need to learn to balance the two.

the differnces in server difficulty is that on 3dp and tags servers bandits will chew noobies and spit them out, where as on vet servers bandits cant use 3dp to their advantage and have to reveal themselves more + eyeball distances.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? If anything, veteran servers damage new players' senses, but those who are used to it are...well...used to it.

Just so we're clear, they removed guns, beans, and water to drastically axe the team matches going on at the shore.

And it has done pretty damn good at it, you sometimes find someone else unarmed and bond in a non-sexual manner.

Or sexual, if you're into strangers in polygon outfits.

add a melee weapon for starter toons... give the noobs a starting chance if anything... otherwise i would say its not an issue as once someone meets a loot spot you dont have to worry about respawning unarmed

Got to agree here, how else will new players be able to learn on thier own without a weapon. but loot spots are luck of the draw, ie me and a friend started, i got a small town he got a barn, my town had 1 hatchet in it and 3 different mags and some food, his barn had a double barrel, winchester, ammunition bandages and roadflares. So its not as simple as finding a weapon in your first loot pile and then being set for life

Got to agree here' date=' how else will new players be able to learn on thier own without a weapon. but loot spots are luck of the draw, ie me and a friend started, i got a small town he got a barn, my town had 1 hatchet in it and 3 different mags and some food, his barn had a double barrel, winchester, ammunition bandages and roadflares. So its not as simple as finding a weapon in your first loot pile and then being set for life

[/quote']

You found a hatchet, didn't you? I dont's see what the problem is.

Finding a weapon isnt that hard' date=' but it does take new players a few attempts to realise that this game needs to be played in a completely different fashion than all other games. For example, spawning and then running down a road - the number of times i have seen survivors just sprinting along roads always gives me a laugh.

Be cautious, use distractions, never run near buildings, soon you will find a weapon and the feeling you will get will be much greater than being given a gun on spawn. It will mean something - and then as you get more and more stuff the paranoia will kick in.

[/quote']

This does sound really good ill give you that but its never as simple as that, detection is still buggy as this is a beta/alpha mod. Beign cautious and stealthy are definitely a requirement, but its luck of the draw if you get seen and chased and a melee weapon isnt exactly going to break the game, jsut give peopel a chance. It just means i dont have to see any "noobs"/ re-spawning players running laps of the map with a towns infected chasing and think that in 5 minutes that's going to be me.

^ ironically the only available distractions at the start is road flares (at night) or another player ballsing it up and being chased. Perhaps spawning with road-flares or something could be helpful?

neway nice response :)

Finding a weapon isnt that hard' date=' but it does take new players a few attempts to realise that this game needs to be played in a completely different fashion than all other games. For example, spawning and then running down a road - the number of times i have seen survivors just sprinting along roads always gives me a laugh.

[/quote']

This does sound really good ill give you that but its never as simple as that, detection is still buggy as this is a beta/alpha mod. Beign cautious and stealthy are definitely a requirement, but its luck of the draw if you get seen and chased and a melee weapon isnt exactly going to break the game, jsut give peopel a chance. It just means i dont have to see any "noobs"/ re-spawning players running laps of the map with a towns infected chasing and think that in 5 minutes that's going to be me.

^ ironically the only available distractions at the start is road flares (at night) or another player ballsing it up and being chased. Perhaps spawning with road-flares or something could be helpful?

You do realize you can throw bottles and cans, right?

Just so we're clear' date=' they removed guns, beans, and water to drastically axe the team matches going on at the shore.

And it has done pretty damn good at it, you sometimes find someone else unarmed and bond in a non-sexual manner.

Or sexual, if you're into strangers in polygon outfits.

[/quote']

Yes to this, but on the other hand how its just finding dozens of dead players with no lootable items and experiencing the joys of a running simulator, besides with over 100 spawns and only 50 players in a server max you dont really get pvp killed very much in spawn areas and a melee weapon would make it hard to have "team deathmatches" or free-for-alls

As for bonding as unarmed sexual/non-sexual partners BS, first weapon i see ill take and run away with it, as if you get it ill just kill you when i get armed. If i get the weapon i know theyll kill me first chance they get as two weapons are better than 1.

Whats more i now encounter bandits at the coasts and since you have nothing on you there is almost no chance of getting away without a mortal wound, so you respawn and they get to easily farm +1 bandit points

Sorry but it seems ignorant to claim people will bond over spawning unarmed, why would they? theres no incentive to do so!!!

Sorry not to be mean but it annoyed me :-)

[/quote']

You do realize you can throw bottles and cans, right?

Yeh i actually found that out an hour ago on youtube. i thought the cans may be jst troll/dud loot

LOL AT REALISM. The original reason for not spawning with anything is they felt it wasn't "hardcore"/immersive enough to spawn with a gun and ammo.

That is most definitely NOT the reason rocket gave when he implemented this. I hate when people just throw shit out like this with no basis in reality, quote, or citation to base it on.

They took your starting weapon away to see what happened. That's all. He wasn't trying to influence behavior one way or the other. It was just an experiment to see what effect it would have on the game.

My experience? The coast is far safer and quieter. Fewer makarov rounds going off. Fewer dead bodies/flies. Fewer fire fights. It's most scared survivors looking for guns. Neat stuff.

As for the difficulty of starting out, it's extremely easy. Go to farm buildings, get a weapon, voila. Not hard.

Now that I think about it, it's probably best to deny noobs fresh out of the gate a gun. But I knew that already in the back f my head. Every time I've been killed by a player, it was because it was some dumbass noob who woulsn't go out and get himself a microphone, so he couldn't communicate with te outside world, so he opened fire when he saw me because he didn't know what the hell else to do.

And now imagine all of those people having a gun.

They removed everything because its realistic -

When i started playing i litrally died every half hour till i started understanding how to play and using tactics - the idea of removing everything - is basicly making the game not a fucking midless shooting game but a game that is 100% tactics and survival, after a while players learn how to play without anything and that is realistic and awesome.

Precisely, noobs come in with the mindset of "I have to go and get myself a kickass gun so I can shoot bad guys". Depriving them of a gun will give them the experience they need to realize you don't have to shoot everything that moves. And it filters out the ones that get bored and walk off. Because, in reality, do we need them? Do we really need to cater to every gamer so they'll stay and screw us up for a while before popping in a different game?

well good morning everyone.

I started to play yesterday, so I kind of remember the time without a gun, and to be honest the having no weapon thing was kind of hard the first 3 hours.

Not becouse any zombies tried to hurt me, but because I just didnt have the guts to walk in to the towns to get food. The first 2 times i just starved.

But with starving i started to try to sneak into the towns, and well those Zombie mans just dont get anything -_- just walk into the town and get what ever u want. Only problem is that they can kind of smell u through walls, if they are in about 3 meters radius it doesnt matter how much walls are between you and this zombie.

long story short, having no weapon is kind of cool, and gets u to understand how to act.

to make this whole thing more "noob proof" i would recoment to overthink the drink eat thingy. when i was nearly dried out, i tried to drink from a little lake, but couldnt get even on bit 3water into my mouth, i tried to drink some rain, and even tried to direktly drink from a waterpump. Still dont know how to use one of them even wiky bottles seem to not work with them.

Another thing to make it frienlier would be to increase the direct comunication range, i dont know how far it goes, but even with seeing someone on the next roof i never seem to be able to comunicate with them.

and food just seems to be kind of rare, if i got it right till now I need a knife to get some meat from an animal, then i need wood and something to make fire and then i get food?

and those beans i was in 3 smaller towns now, and a lot of buildings with stuff, i found 1 can of baked beans isnt that a little well to less?

well thats it see you all ingame

Well if you make the guns harder to find , I think zombies should then be more " stupid" .

Right now its hard to get past them... There's alot of tweaking to be added every time you would like to add something new.

LOL AT REALISM. The original reason for not spawning with anything is they felt it wasn't "hardcore"/immersive enough to spawn with a gun and ammo.

That is most definitely NOT the reason rocket gave when he implemented this. I hate when people just throw shit out like this with no basis in reality' date=' quote, or citation to base it on.

They took your starting weapon away to see what happened. That's all. He wasn't trying to influence behavior one way or the other. It was just an experiment to see what effect it would have on the game.

My experience? The coast is far safer and quieter. Fewer makarov rounds going off. Fewer dead bodies/flies. Fewer fire fights. It's most scared survivors looking for guns. Neat stuff.

As for the difficulty of starting out, it's extremely easy. Go to farm buildings, get a weapon, voila. Not hard.

[/quote']

You may want to do some research first. he actually didn't say hardcore exactly just they felt the start was too easy for experienced players and they wondered if removing the weapon would force teamwork, which it hasn't, so the original intent was all about weapons. LOL at fewer makarov rounds going off as now its just the sound of people cussing in chat about having no weapon. Now its just the noise of yankee sax (see youtube) as survivers run along the beach followed by zombies.

Most new players are unlikely to be overly successful at locating a farm building along the coast. And without any lenience for new players the mod will die

Also scared survivors looking for guns isn't hard to kill if your a bandit like the one mentioned above farming player kills but you should try re-spawning first and getting first hand experience before you comment.

Personally ur comment pissed me off as you don't appear to have read through the post above

Now that I think about it' date=' it's probably best to deny noobs fresh out of the gate a gun. But I knew that already in the back f my head. Every time I've been killed by a player, it was because it was some dumbass noob who woulsn't go out and get himself a microphone, so he couldn't communicate with te outside world, so he opened fire when he saw me because he didn't know what the hell else to do.

And now imagine all of those people having a gun.

[/quote']

Lol he probably just wanted your bandage/food/ammo/anything you had not the cpst of buying microphones. The player killing isn't really any different its just now armed vs unarmed mostly.

Well if you make the guns harder to find ' date=' I think zombies should then be more " stupid" .

Right now its hard to get past them... There's alot of tweaking to be added every time you would like to add something new.

[/quote']

Definitely agree, and a melee weapon would give people an option other than respawn

:)

I posted this elsewhere and it kind of brought up the issue ive been having with me and my friends joining the game.

Main problems

1. Very hard surviving without weapon' date=' especially since im an unlucky person in computer games but very lucky in real life.[/quote']

It is, at first, but it get's better. Here I don't agree with you.

2. Almost impossible to meet -up without using the on-line maps and re spawning until you get close to ur friends.

Well you're right about that. Fortunately I used a map on my cellphone from day one. "GPS" if you will, lol. But then if you have the map at the start, the game loses some of it's mystique at the beginning and don't have to find a map.

4. the makarov and 6 mags, food, water and bandages was one extreme of too much starting resources. Starting with 1 bandage is the opposite extreme. Why not a melee weapon or simply 2 bandages, 1 thing of food, 1 of water/coke.

Hmm, I believe this is because if you have a weapon at the start you just start hacking everything, die, rinse repeat. Now that you don't have any means of defense, that means you have to sneak around atleast a little until you get hold of something. Even if you've been playing for a while already.

5. Server difficulty? it doesn't do anything at the moment but perhaps players could have different starts and stat drains (ie food,water, blood), easy could be spawning with the makarov and ammo etc, normal a melee and bandages, hard/"core" could be spawning with nothing. This could also be applied to the PVP aspects ie easy no pvp or maybe only inland, normal pvp but not along coastal/main spawn areas (to encourage the making of teams), Hard full pvp with spawn killing etc.server data could hold a different save for each difficulty option

3. Leeway the Mod should still be noob friendly to some extent so new players can join, but also hardcore so all the "hardcore/seasoned players" have fun.

Rocket/DayZ Team has said that one of their biggest challenges is to make the game easy enough for noobs, hard enough for the more experienced ones? I would like to see servers having different difficulty settings, so noobs could go on an easy/regular server and learn a bit of the game. Then, when they think that they've gotten the basics they could move on to a more difficult one.

But the problem here is, one starts at a noob server where PvP is limited, loots all the great rocket launchers, AWS, ghillies and what not and hops on to a hardcore server, so this would need to be countered somehow? Perheaps low high-end loot drops on easier servers, and normal on the difficult ones?

Also, I'd like to see a feature that forces the player to commit to 1-3 servers. But the problem here is, there's so many players and so many different servers so you would probably have to queue for a looooong while.

6. I really like this mod and i think it could be so much more massive, maybe even a game in itself ($$). and its made by a kiwi!!

I KNO RITE?! This game needs dynamicism though. Right now it's just here is safe, there is dangerous, there is no loot, here is loot. Oh zombies, run around. Rinse repeat. Danger/safety should be everywhere, not just the one static spots. See the links in my signature.

Anyway heres the post that inspired it, tell em what you think? (in a constructive way, since thats how you improve a game, not by spamming "man up noob"

LOL AT REALISM. The original reason for not spawning with anything is they felt it wasn't "hardcore"/immersive enough to spawn with a gun and ammo. In a zombie apocalypse people wouldn't just run off into the wilderness with torch and a bandage so they could be more :"hardcore".

I personally have a variety of melee weapons at home i would take as well as bandages, food, water and a scoped 22. rifle. At the very least i would take a bit of metal pipe or a wooden board first opportunity i got. Its what any semi-intelligent human being would do.

On the other hand most people have only one or two guns per family if in the country and generally would take them with them so max realism would probably make guns and ammo AMAZINGLY SCARCE, but would make food, water, melee weapons and medical supplies AMAZINGLY COMMON as almost every living person in the 2nd and first world countries owns theses. So more realism would make survival loot ie bandages really common, but people wouldn't kindly drop rifles and ammo on the floor.

So the issue is this where to draw the line, do we want realism of Fewer guns more food etc, but more intelligent post apocalypse survivors or more hardcore with much fewer new players joining the mod due to the difficulty of surviving up to 33 minutes?

Well, you leave it there. I'll just leave this here...

+1

NOTE: i wasn't really after guns as a solution more so melee weapons as you can run away from a player, but its slighly harder to run from an inaccurate pistol or the zombie horde at the moment. Also guns arent really penaty free as choosing to use ur gun to save urself uses up ur ammo and attracted zombies, so the incentive to sneak was still there

Sigh hate when people do this multiple posts thing as it makes it take longer to reply. the point was more that this is constructive/stuff they can work on.

However there are some decent responses raised and some places where you seem to ahve missed the point so ive marked my bits with a -ME-

Sorry guys this may be a little confusing to read over

Main problems

1. Very hard surviving without weapon' date=' especially since im an unlucky person in computer games but very lucky in real life.[/quote']

It is, at first, but it get's better. Here I don't agree with you.

-ME- not really an explanation as to why you don't agree... would you ahve given the same answer before about adding a gun?

Well you're right about that. Fortunately I used a map on my cellphone from day one. "GPS" if you will, lol. But then if you have the map at the start, the game loses some of it's mystique at the beginning and don't have to find a map.

-ME- Arent you meant to find a gps/map? Also my point is more about spawning not about maps, i don't care if i don't have a map i brought this game to play with my friends and its epically hard to find each other

Hmm, I believe this is because if you have a weapon at the start you just start hacking everything, die, rinse repeat. Now that you don't have any means of defense, that means you have to sneak around atleast a little until you get hold of something. Even if you've been playing for a while already.

-ME- melee weapon.... good for a few kills but you take a lot of hits and so you burn through bandages. So you still have to sneak like you do now/ did with a gun... unless you intend to fight all the zombies in a village with an axe... in which case good luck to you

Rocket/DayZ Team has said that one of their biggest challenges is to make the game easy enough for noobs, hard enough for the more experienced ones? I would like to see servers having different difficulty settings, so noobs could go on an easy/regular server and learn a bit of the game. Then, when they think that they've gotten the basics they could move on to a more difficult one.

But the problem here is, one starts at a noob server where PvP is limited, loots all the great rocket launchers, AWS, ghillies and what not and hops on to a hardcore server, so this would need to be countered somehow? Perheaps low high-end loot drops on easier servers, and normal on the difficult ones?

Also, I'd like to see a feature that forces the player to commit to 1-3 servers. But the problem here is, there's so many players and so many different servers so you would probably have to queue for a looooong while.

-ME- Nit-picking.... um so store the server saves separately for different difficulties and itll solve server hopping - theres a solution that actually really does solve both what rocket said and your issue with server hopping :) aren't i clever

Glad you agree with the idea :) , not sure if commiting to 1-3 servers as my net can suck at times and i cant play on my normal servers, but can play on other no (max ping = 100) servers.

- So this appears to be a good idea hint hint rocket :)

I KNO RITE?! This game needs dynamicism though. Right now it's just here is safe, there is dangerous, there is no loot, here is loot. Oh zombies, run around. Rinse repeat. Danger/safety should be everywhere, not just the one static spots. See the links in my signature.

-ME- :), and actually yeh to some of this im just suggesting a learning curve to assist new players into the mod with the pvp sugegstions

Well, you leave it there. I'll just leave this here...

-ME- Hehe No theres some useful points raised so ill answer them

+1

well good morning everyone.

I started to play yesterday' date=' so I kind of remember the time without a gun, and to be honest the having no weapon thing was kind of hard the first 3 hours.

Not becouse any zombies tried to hurt me, but because I just didnt have the guts to walk in to the towns to get food. The first 2 times i just starved.

But with starving i started to try to sneak into the towns, and well those Zombie mans just dont get anything -_- just walk into the town and get what ever u want. Only problem is that they can kind of smell u through walls, if they are in about 3 meters radius it doesnt matter how much walls are between you and this zombie.

long story short, having no weapon is kind of cool, and gets u to understand how to act.

to make this whole thing more "noob proof" i would recoment to overthink the drink eat thingy. when i was nearly dried out, i tried to drink from a little lake, but couldnt get even on bit 3water into my mouth, i tried to drink some rain, and even tried to direktly drink from a waterpump. Still dont know how to use one of them even wiky bottles seem to not work with them.

Another thing to make it frienlier would be to increase the direct comunication range, i dont know how far it goes, but even with seeing someone on the next roof i never seem to be able to comunicate with them.

and food just seems to be kind of rare, if i got it right till now I need a knife to get some meat from an animal, then i need wood and something to make fire and then i get food?

and those beans i was in 3 smaller towns now, and a lot of buildings with stuff, i found 1 can of baked beans isnt that a little well to less?

well thats it see you all ingame

[/quote']

Found this really wierd to read, all my deaths were either random zombie encounters, or when i got over ambitious in trying to sneak to find a weapon and had the village horde. Starving never actually occurred to me...

The zombies i played with basically seemed over ambitious to spot me, though apparently there were detection glitches, my main problem was each time i crouched up to get through a door (as u cant prone thru them) the horde all came running with their knives and forks.

The few times the zombies glitiched and stopped chasing me i bandaged, sighed and did it all over again. Even when i had a weapon (hatchet) i still played stealthy, but i held up in a house and axed a dozen at the door instead of running which let me survive to try again.

Instead with noob difficulty you could just drop the water loss rate ie so you can go longer without water, food, and bleed less from wounds. I had the same issue with food etc, considering every house would have some food even if just a single can it was amazing how many bullets i found compared to food, this must be the arms dealing.... well no...ammunition dealing capital of the world!!

Interesting/good post :)