Sign in to follow this  
BCBasher

Repacking pbos, I think?

I used DayZ tools to unpack the game, not actually sure how I did it honestly but it worked. 

I found what I wanted to start changing /DZ/AI/config.cpp

I'm modding the game to be 1-2 player solo/co-op  so I want less dense infected but spawning out to greater distance, I want them to be more sensitive to sound especially and search much longer if they alert so in cities on military bases loud gunfights will have them keep migrating towards the disturbance with unpredictable direction and timing, I hope. 

The edits shouldn't be a big deal but stuff I did with ArmA2/3 was all in the mission script or separate .cpp and .sqf files, never bothered unpacking and repacking .pbo files. Anyways it came apart exactly how I expected but I was just hunting and packing to figure that part out and so excited when I was seeing all exact stuff I was looking for and more I don't even remember how, absolutely lost on how to put it back together after I make my edits.

Searching google and here came up with older stuff using ArmA tools but I'd prefer to use the DayZ tools and notepad++ if possible, not a lot of documentation floating around yet. 

yes, documentation is sparse

but to be honest, i would go for such a project as developing it as a mod, if you want to be able to share it, or just edit the files as they are if you don't.

packing the pbos should be the same as in older games. you need your own bisign key of course. which is why replacing the original pbos might not be the way to go, as they are packed with bohemias key.

28 minutes ago, g4borg said:

yes, documentation is sparse

but to be honest, i would go for such a project as developing it as a mod, if you want to be able to share it, or just edit the files as they are if you don't.

packing the pbos should be the same as in older games. you need your own bisign key of course. which is why replacing the original pbos might not be the way to go, as they are packed with bohemias key.

I haven't "published" a mod since Rogue Spear, the demo actually. I hand coded a mission using positional data from the in game waypoint planner for your team to get my waypoints foe the enemy AI. Made it so you could play as the terrorists at the museum getting raided to give cheap asses like me something else to do with the free trial. MP compatible full character swap and everything with a "installer/uninstaller"  in two zip files that would switch the game over or back. Eventually bought the game and found it had an editor but by then I could "read" the files anyway. 

Point is I learned whatever codes they use in games by osmosis I guess, first saw that type of script in Quake 2 savegame files and just pecked at it it until I started getting desired results. The packing and unpacking I kind of need my hand held or it spoon fed to me.

The end goal is for me is a possible PvE mod others might like  if BI doesn't come through with that option themselves. 

Can I run the game unpacked because that would be ideal? 

I still prefer text editors over graphic editors for most stuff any way which means tons of trial and error. 

Edited by BCBasher

Figured it out, just needed to doctor AI.pbo  in the addons folder to start tweaking most of the things I wanted changed repack it with addon builder.

For now I'll just doctor my whole game I'm sure I could figure out the mod system now if I cared.

I gave them a much longer hearing range and memory of their target before they go back to idle wandering.

I also enabled stamina on the infected, they were currently set up to regen stamina faster than they burn it, not sure if that was intention to test something or a mistake.

I'm going with 4:1 stamina use/regen and I get them to start showing up a few at a time , then a few more, so on. If you shoot and keep moving you can get away or thin them out but if you stop or get cornered you can get overwhelmed. 

Got busy with other things but the bit I've played around gave me more questions than answers.

Why are they set up with a stamina drain of 5 and a regen of 10, they never run out of stamina as they're set up now?

With a drain of 10 and regen at 2.5 they charge, then fall behind and having their sound range turned up if you stay in a spot shooting they just keep wandering in around corners and if you try and leave you find yourself slowly surrounded and get a trail following you. I have their target memory on attraction turned up to 10 minutes so they keep wandering from quite a distance spreading the wave out instead of having every one in a small bubble run right to you then nothing in the bubble.

For some reason I could pack AI.pbo easy with the addon builder, ended up trying PBO manger for ArmA3  to unpack and edit zombie_teritiories.xml in worlds_chenbarusplus_AI.pbo because I was getting errors with addon builder. 

Working towards bigger quantities for mini hordes that build organically as one player or a small group shot their way through a town.  

49C1ABC5F5F7A5F6BDA9E7D6026C93CD10541FBC

Feeling like a bit of a dummy, addon builder won't overwrite...

Started deleting the original or saving my replacement elsewhere. 

Shot the first group from the roof of the car then moved to the store and hid for a bit, they kept wandering in over the course of ten to fifteen minutes.

If they hear a shot out to 350-400m they will keep wandering slowly until the make it to the source.

They hear footsteps out to 150m and get curious, I limited their stamina so they spread out searching and you can out run them for a bit but if you can't find cover or run out of ammo they would overwhelm you.

Edited by BCBasher