Sign in to follow this  
Captain Q

Survived for the first half hour, then logged out. What'll happen?

I have no idea what I'm doing in the game, and the first thing that happened to me was a glitch that caused me to lose all of my items. I guess the game gods pitied me, because less than a minute later, I found an 1866 with two mags worth, then gradually some painkillers, bandages, a hatchet, flares, and other things.

I saw ONE zombie, and he seemed content circling a cow, so I left him alone.

As I was looking in a house, I found a dead body; a PMC character body. I have no earthly idea what that meant. Was it a dead bandit? I got a few things off his corpse. Nothing of any importance and no weapons.

I found my way to a safe place, well, a place that seemed safe anyway since it didn't have loot. I closed up the doors and hid, then disconnected from that server (I needed to go eat some pizza).

What now? When I log back in, will I be restarted from fresh again? Or will my progress have been saved? Also, nobody talked to me in chat :( Does this mean I've got a serious connection issue or do people just not want to talk nowdays?

You will be fine, don't worry. Unless there was some kind of bug, which is always possible for dayz (still in alpha), you won't have lost anything. And people don't talk in chat because most servers nowadays have all but direct, vehicle, and group chat disabled. Direct allows you to talk to people near you, vehicle chat allows you to talk to people in the same vehicle, and i have no idea what group chat does. If you do lose all your stuff, it'll be to a bug in dayz.

Sounds like a good start to me. You should start right were you left off next time you log in, even if its on a different server. The chat is mostly disabled in newer versions except I think for direct chat wich is only heard/seen at short distances.

Thank god, and thank you Lysander. I have another question- I am rather unfamiliar with the whole concepts involving the food and drink.. administration.. of this game. I have a pepsi in my inventory. Does my player automatically drink when it is thirsty, or do I have to select it?

And thank you Iforgot.

Also, will I have to locate food? I think I can beat the five hour life-span at the rate I'm going if I can get this stuff down, lol. What button do you press to enter direct chat instead of group chat? When I hit the /? button I seem to only do group chat.

U have to right click ur pepsi and consume it.

Yes u have to locate food if ur getting hungry, u can find it by dead zombies or in houses ect.

Press , and . to cycle through the chats. Just stay on direct (white). If you're within 40m of someone you can talk to them. Risky move, of course.

At the bottom right you have canteen and a knife/fork icons (water/food respectively). Wait until they're flashing red before drinking/eating as there's really no need until then. The redder it gets the closer it's getting to flashing.

50:50 chance if you spawn next to a weapon of surviving 255 if you log out in a town/ near zombies