Its too overpowered in the pitch dark. I like really dark servers because its exciting but now I avoid them due to the risk of loosing my stuff to someone with NVGs.

:cool:

Yeah so lets totally just get rid of NVGs because everyone but me has them.

*sarcasm off*

Your suggestion will be inputed in the suggestion box and will be reviewed within the next 4 years. We appreciate your patience.

*sarcasm off*

Your suggestion will be inputed in the suggestion box and will be reviewed within the next 4 years. We appreciate your patience.

NVG's just offer too large of an advantage. They have no drawbacks and offer a straight-up handicap to anyone not using them.

*sarcasm off*

NVG's just offer too large of an advantage. They have no drawbacks and offer a straight-up handicap to anyone not using them.

NVG's, probably the most sought after and one of the most rare items in the game is easily counterd with one of the most common items, the flare. They practically makes them unusable.

This game is not about balance. It's not meant to be balanced. In a zombie apocalypse, not everyone would begin with the even amount of survival gear. That's the only balancing in this game. Some people are predators, some people are benevolent. Hell, half the time I see and often kill or avoid somebody first in broad daylight because I play like a paranoid schizophrenic - spinning none-stop to check all my surroundings.

You need to think of the well geared players as bosses to be defeated, and not expect some kind of strange game democracy where everything is some large paper scissors rock game and you stand a chance against everything. You need to think of the well geared, experienced and long time survived players as even harder bosses. And essentially, you want to become a boss.

NVG's' date=' probably the most sought after and one of the most rare items in the game is easily counterd with one of the most common items, the flare. They practically makes them unusable.

[/quote']

Yea as if lighting yourself up with a flare helps you. Meet NVG guy in the dark night and you die.

I like knowing that there could be someone watching me and my group running the woods. It puts that extra "tension" to the game. It's not like every player wears one, but do be aware that if you should spot someone wearing one, hes normally not alone. In such case, just leg it!

"

This game is not about balance. It's not meant to be balanced. In a zombie apocalypse, not everyone would begin with the even amount of survival gear. That's the only balancing in this game. Some people are predators, some people are benevolent. Hell, half the time I see and often kill or avoid somebody first in broad daylight because I play like a paranoid schizophrenic - spinning none-stop to check all my surroundings.

You need to think of the well geared players as bosses to be defeated, and not expect some kind of strange game democracy where everything is some large paper scissors rock game and you stand a chance against everything. You need to think of the well geared, experienced and long time survived players as even harder bosses. And essentially, you want to become a boss. "

I agree with this guy exactly. Become the boss, don't whine and expect changes. If someone starts shooting at you in the dark, run like hell, zig zag, and weave between cover.

Do you think that the taliban complains about balance because NATO has NVG? If you get killed in the dark, stick to playing in daylight, take a break after nightfall. During the day, NVG offer exactly zero handicap.

Another vote for limited battery life.

When you take off NVGs, your eyes have to adjust to the darkness again. Maybe make that delay a lot longer, then throwing a flare into their FOV would be viable as long as you stay out of the flare radius.

"I don't have a big problem with them, just have a problem with bandits that have them and log off the moment they are at a disadvantage. "

Dude, if a bandit logs, then just sit there and wait for him to log back in. He'll respawn at the same spot lol. He logs back in, and cap his ass. I've done it to people who've logged out to save themselves.

I would remove them till the rain effect is shown on the NVG aswell. As if it's not powerful enough in pitch black darkness, but you can see thru the heavy rain also which makes players without NVGs almost blind.

meh Nvg's arent really that hard to find tbh but, I hate to be the one to spread the news because I'm sure this will get me some hate, turn up gamma in arma and night becomes day in black and white. So the issue is really irrelevant as any one who has played this game for any amount of time and just wants to kill people at night will probably be doing this, you gota keep in mind that when bandits are just out to have a dm they dont care about the atmosphere of the game, so having some level of suspense wandering through the dark means nothing compared to seeing some one and shooting them to these people.

They are super rare, that's why they are so good and no I don't have any. The game needs more rare things for people to seek out and maybe fight over if they too want the item. Personally I would like if they could be seen on the player model since the effects of other players greed could draw potential conflict.

meh Nvg's arent really that hard to find tbh but' date=' I hate to be the one to spread the news because I'm sure this will get me some hate, turn up gamma in arma and night becomes day in black and white. So the issue is really irrelevant as any one who has played this game for any amount of time and just wants to kill people at night will probably be doing this, you gota keep in mind that when bandits are just out to have a dm they dont care about the atmosphere of the game, so having some level of suspense wandering through the dark means nothing compared to seeing some one and shooting them to these people.

[/quote']

Thankfully these people get bored of the game much faster then people who play for the atmosphere.

Ive turned up the gamma in pitch black night to maximum (because I spawned and literally could see nothing), and the best you get is being able to see maybe a few feet in front of you as if there's a little moonlight.

In all reality, it is very rarely pitch dark in the wilderness, because after an hour your eyes adjust and you can see by starlight. The forest is darker than the open, but you can still always see the sky. The only case where this isn't true is before moonrise if there's cloud cover, or if there's heavy cloud cover.

As far as I'm concerned, they should lock gamma somehow, and adjust the starlight affect.

Don't touch NVG though. This game isn't meant to be fair.

And for the record, I've never found or seen NVG. They're like the holy grail as far as I'm concerned.

The worst thing was when I was creeping through Balota in search of the source of buzzing flies, with flares out at night, and some dude came running straight toward me with a horde of zombies on him. Once they started hitting me, he disconnected, and I died since 2 clips of M-16 were no match for the ridiculous amount of zombies even a small village can hold. No doubt he got all my stuff and carried on. Kinda lame really.

I have no problem with his tactic of training a zombie horde, except that he was able to escape without harm due to an exploit. This game is hardcore and I like that, but we shouldn't be able to cheat - disappearing instantly seems pretty softcore and grief inducing to me.

I often use the gamma "exploit" because it is far too tempting. I wish it didn't exist and gamma was limited.

This game is not about balance. It's not meant to be balanced. In a zombie apocalypse' date=' not everyone would begin with the even amount of survival gear. That's the only balancing in this game. Some people are predators, some people are benevolent. Hell, half the time I see and often kill or avoid somebody first in broad daylight because I play like a paranoid schizophrenic - spinning none-stop to check all my surroundings.

You need to think of the well geared players as bosses to be defeated, and not expect some kind of strange game democracy where everything is some large paper scissors rock game and you stand a chance against everything. You need to think of the well geared, experienced and long time survived players as even harder bosses. And essentially, you want to become a boss.

[/quote']

This, this and more this.

I avoid playing at the pitch black nights. They're unrealistic, and i cant do ANYTHING in them. Some servers have moonlight nights, and thats much better, even tho it could be a few percentage darker.

"

This game is not about balance. It's not meant to be balanced. In a zombie apocalypse' date=' not everyone would begin with the even amount of survival gear. That's the only balancing in this game. Some people are predators, some people are benevolent. Hell, half the time I see and often kill or avoid somebody first in broad daylight because I play like a paranoid schizophrenic - spinning none-stop to check all my surroundings.

You need to think of the well geared players as bosses to be defeated, and not expect some kind of strange game democracy where everything is some large paper scissors rock game and you stand a chance against everything. You need to think of the well geared, experienced and long time survived players as even harder bosses. And essentially, you want to become a boss. "

I agree with this guy exactly. Become the boss, don't whine and expect changes. If someone starts shooting at you in the dark, run like hell, zig zag, and weave between cover.

Do you think that the taliban complains about balance because NATO has NVG? If you get killed in the dark, stick to playing in daylight, take a break after nightfall. During the day, NVG offer exactly zero handicap.

[/quote']

Sorry but they're not bosses to be defeated, most are annoying mosquitoes trying to bite you while you're reading a good book.

Let's be real here a second, some players who have almost constant supply of military gear do like this:

- Open chernarus map with all spawn points on a browser, and the loot tables on the side, even before loading ARMA2, then adjust gamma in game.

- Setup teamspeak and the like.

- Spawn new character.

- Beeline for military positions/deer tower using the internet map, rush in to loot whatever and disconnect to possibly reset aggro or switch server to grab more loot.

- Setup nearby and kill players from range, disconnect after a shot.

Now of course, most players don't do this, they actually embrace the mod and immerse in it, but they don't give a shit about becoming "a boss", because bosses as you describe them are the total dickheads that are just there to kill people and abuse the system.

I have the utmost respect for players really playing the mod and, like you seem to be describing for yourself, want to survive at all cost, with military gear, or without. They won't always shoot on sight, but be very careful on how they deal with strangers. That's the big difference: they are not just here to kill people for fun.

I've had very cool encounters with organised military groups that are NOT just there to kill people and man, when you're surrounded by 4-5 guys with AKs and M4s yelling at you over direct comm to lay on the ground and not move while they check you out, ask where you going, what you've seen, etc...If you care about your character and accept the mod's immersion factor, you do NOT think: "oh, I'm gonna defeat that boss!". You think "oh shit, these guys arn't kidding around. how the heck am I gonna get out of there alive".

Also, I've had characters alive for a very long time but almost never had any military gear whatsoever. Why? Because it's a mindset, not big gun contest:

- player killer/military mindset/tribal warfare > usually beeline/spawn camp military gear.

- simple survivalist > just grab what you find and go on your way, military or not.

None is better than the other, just different priorities, goal, etc.

As for the OP suggestion:

Removing them is not the solution, just make them very rare (which apparently they are, but some hacked ones were floating about or something). There's gamma abuse anyway so punks are gonna punk, and don't care about NVGs :)

I avoid playing at the pitch black nights. They're unrealistic, and i cant do ANYTHING in them. Some servers have moonlight nights, and thats much better, even tho it could be a few percentage darker.

They are actually VERY realistic, bare pure graphical limitations. Out in the woods, at night, without any light, I can assure you that darkness is indeed very dark and sometimes you can't even see your hands 10cm from your face.

Why not just add battery packs to the NVG sets so they have some amount of limitation where having them on 24/7 is an extremely bad idea

Mutonizer makes a great point in that there are bigger problems within the game at the moment, such as the abuse of the games mechanics itself, as well as long-term tactics within organised groups coming into the game such as getting one person to do all the runs for loot etc.

The NVGs themselves are not overpowered, they are rare pieces of loot that are unfortunately somewhat difficult to counter, but by staying in cover, in a group and knowing how to mess with NVG users (flare in the general direction can be a good deterrent). Though often players with NVGs are part of the larger groups that, by sheer numbers will be able to kill you. (3 well organised snipers versus a lone survivor are always going to win) Moral of the story is to group up guys!

Ive turned up the gamma in pitch black night to maximum (because I spawned and literally could see nothing)' date=' and the best you get is being able to see maybe a few feet in front of you as if there's a little moonlight.

As far as I'm concerned, they should lock gamma somehow, and adjust the starlight affect.

[/quote']

A few feet huh?

F6937EC1B3D987ECDB48E0EB3A2E1407F18283AB

E8D9DCDAF2583E2BBC5A5723FCBFFB496D52B241

Screen shots were taken at 00:00 with medium settings for all weather and fog. This is virtually game breaking by some standards and I agree if gamma/brightness settings can be locked they should be although even if they were it probably wouldn't be hard to force this through video card settings. I guess my point is to spite nvg's being fairly easy to find in the right places a lot of what your experiencing may be due to this rather than, every bandit you run into at night having nvg's. Clearly if you were standing on that road with settings similar to the first screen shot and I was in the hills with the second screen shot's settings, I would be able to see you and shoot you with out you ever knowing I was even there.