MissBehave

Help The Yogscast Noobs Thread! - Post Your Tips!

I was wondering why a yogcast playthrough would deserve a thread....then i realized the have 2 million subscribers.

my advice: be sure to use the search function and check out the stickies before posting a new thread with any issues or qualms you may have.

Dont run across fields, try to move in the treeline to avoid being detected

Deer stands can usually be found in the treeline next to a field, there are just a few zombies around the stands and they have a decent chance of spawning a firearm, survival tools or ammo

In general the nights are pitch black in Chernarus, as in won't see your own shoelaces.

arma 2 is a complicated (and buggy) game, prepare yourselves for a higher learning curve than any fps out there, and prepare to be screwed over by bugs. definitely play through the boot camp single player stuff in operation arrowhead before you attempt day z.

do not get attached to your gear, you WILL die. it's supposed to be brutal and impossibly difficult. approach the mod as though you are living out the story of one survivor at a time during the zombie apocalypse.

one of the major design goals is to generate emotions with an emphasis on frustration. be aware of this.

stealth is your absolute best friend. focus on learning how to avoid the infected's attention. it's very often better to not open fire than it is to open fire. if you must open fire, do so either indoors so zombies move more slowly, or draw them out into the woods so your gunshots do not attract more zombies. when you do fire, have an exit plan immediately, players will also be attracted to your gunshots and all players should be assumed hostile (unless you like gambling or don't care about getting shot or stabbed in the back).

if you do not want to get killed by players, head inland IMMEDIATELY. the coast is a bloodbath. it's not fool proof, but it significantly reduces the probability of getting killed by players.

remember, this is a free alpha mod/anti-game for arma 2. it will be buggy because it's alpha, zombies will clip through floors, attack through walls, have generally buggy behavior. you will be one of the testers for this mod by playing it right now.

DayZ's simple. Get to the weapons' date=' use them any way you can.

I know you won't break the rules, because there aren't any.

[/quote']

There are rules.

Suggest you look them up.

The "best" guns aren't necessarily the best guns for your playstyle.

Don't rush out and grab a sniper rifle because they're the "best" guns, and then tell us there's nothing to do but PvP.

Linking up with other new players is probably the single toughest part of starting your Day Z career. Even if you are in TS, it can be really difficult to land-nav and find each other.

Tips :

Read the location name on the bottom right of your screen. It appears whenever you spawn in (every time, even if your character is old), and can give you a clue as to your location. It only lasts a few seconds, so pay attention!

Landmark to landmark nav is the only way to go. If you just pick a direction you feel is "West" (or w/e), you will get turned around and helplessly lost. Even a distant tree can be a landmark, and the entire map can be crossed going from "tree to tree". During daylight hours, you can use shadows to determine direction, but cloud cover can get you lost pretty easily.

Two inexperienced travelers trying to find each other can be a a horrible experience. Designate one person as the finder, while the other(s) stay at a recognizable landmark.

Once you locate a map and a compass, it's all pretty easy from there. Check houses and supermarkets for the best chance of finding either.

A watch may seem useless as a tool, but with the sun shadows and a bit of boyscout knowledge you will be able to find rough directions.

Clouds do not travel eastwards, this is not minecraft, but creepers and zombies are everywhere they only changed the creepers in to other players.

One other tip I don't see mentioned because it's trivial to most of us. Don't eat or drink until the indicators are flashing! Supplies can be hard to find when you are just starting out and this will maximize their benefits.

Updated with a collection of your awesome tips and a link to your original posts as well. Tried to organize them a bit, so hopefully they are helpful to all our new players. :D Some great tips there!

I'm a Yogscast fanboy. It's about time the gang got around to LPing DayZ! I can't wait to see Simon die in hilarious ways (In a nice way, of course!)!

The hatchet is your friend. Use it for stealth kills. Do not run from one or two zombies. Running will only bring more zombies down on you. Instead, give them your hatchet. One hit will kill a zombie so take your time. Zombies may have food, drink, bandages, and ammo on them so search their bodies.

Of course, morphine helps with this strategy and it's nearly useless against other players. But it will definitely get you setup with the essentials early in the game. A pistol, a hatchet, patience, and the ability to avoid large towns is all you need to survive the first day as you gather matches, hunting knife, canteen, compass, map, etc.

Also, food *will* restore your blood if you eat when your hunger icon is green.

"Its an Alpha"

Sorry just thought I would post the most common piece of 'helpful advice' found on the DayZ Mod forums...

I think these tips should be boosted up to the top of the list and repeated twice. We can all agree that these are the most important tips:

1. YOU WILL die regularly. Get used to it.

2. YOU WILL lose your stuff regularly. Don't get attached to it.

3. YOU WILL run into bugs, this is an alpha. Don't get pissy.

And, additionally:

-Watch LPs besides Yogscast. They'll give you an idea of what to really expect - how to start with no weapon, what to expect from other survivors bandits, how to loot, etc.

-READ THE F!@#ING WIKI.

-READ THE F!@#ING FORUM RULES

-USE THE F!@#ING SEARCH BAR