Sign in to follow this  
Blueluigi6 (DayZ)

Upgrading

It's really laggy for dayZ, almsot to the point where i have to make put all the settings down (which makes everything blurry) to make the game playable. Im pretty sure it's my Windows Vista slowing it down, so should I upgrade to Windows 7 or keep Vista?

You should post your some specs..

Fuck Vista.

What are your system specs? You'll probably want to upgrade your hardware.

it said to get NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT / ATI Radeon HD 4850, so I'll probably will get that, but will it still lag horribly? (I'm horrible with computers)

The Ram will help, yes. It'll also allow you to do more things without anything crashing due to memory.

A new proc will definitely help... With the specs you listed, you're probably better off building a new PC. You'll want a 7.2k RPM HDD at MINIMUM. (Might even want to go for 10k or 15k if not an SSD.)

Building is more cost-effective. But, yeah, if you want to just buy a rig, Alienware is never the wrong way to go! You should buy me one, too. ;)

How much money are you willing to spend on it, though. Because you can customize the hardware. (Everything as default is already amazing, but, if price isn't something you care about, upgrading the gpu and the hdd would make it perform even faster._

I don't want something over the top. I just want smooth gameplay with little lag and good graphics. If alienware does that by default, I'm probably going to just buy the default.

The default set-up for the Aurora build includes the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555 which is pretty much twice as good as my own GPU (which can handle Arma 2 on "Very High" (1680x1050 resolution) with ease.) So, you'll have extremely smooth gaming.

HDD is irrelevant in this case, guys.

Why all the fuzz about 7.5k RPM drive if all the textures are rather in the memory.

Just upgrade ram, that should work. I suggest getting 8GB ram (its cheapest upgrade for you) but u will have to use 64bit version of OS then!

Your CPU is good for now.

Next upgrade is GPU. There are some cheap GPUs now on the market which will boost your score up alot. Which is dependant on your motherboard ofc..

Alienware is shit. You pay 20% of the price just because its alienware build!

Where are you from?

For Arma, HDD speed would improve load-times of the game, subjectx.

"drive rotation speed is the most important factor for a drive's throughput. Most people associate fast rotation speed with high data transfer rates, because this is the most obvious advantage of fast spindle speeds. Whether you boot Windows or copy files that are hundreds of megabytes or even gigabytes in size, quick transfer rates shorten the time it takes for completion of these tasks. Combining high rotation speeds with top-notch recording technologies such as PMR (perpendicular magnetic recording) has repeatedly managed to establish new speed records.

But other performance factors benefit from high rotation speeds, such as seek time. At this point, it is important to differentiate between seek time and access time, because only the latter is really relevant for everyday applications. The access time is the combined latency of the seek time and rotational latency, which applies when the heads have been positioned above the required track, while the required sectors still have to pass by the heads. Faster spindle speeds, hence, always result in decreased rotational latency and decreased average access time." - tomshardware.com

Edit; and I suggested building a new PC/ upgrading specific parts already. OP would rather buy a new pc pre-built.