Getting Started

• DayZ is new to me, what is it?

DayZ is a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can. Players can experience powerful events and emotions arising from the ever-evolving emergent gameplay. There are no superficial tips, way points, built in tutorials or help given to players. Every decision matters, there are no save games, no extra lives, every mistake can be lethal. If you fail, you lose everything and you need to play again from the beginning with nothing but your wits, and your two hands. Fight the hostile environment, where every other player can be friend or foe and nothing can be taken for granted.

• How can I buy DayZ?

You can buy DayZ and the Livonia DLC for PC, Xbox and PlayStation, via

• Installing and launching (PC)
  1. Install in Steam
  2. After the game has installed open steam game library
  3. Select DayZ from the list
  4. Click the Play button

• What if the game doesn't install an update or becomes corrupt (PC)?
  1. restart steam
  2. verify cache
  3. restart computer
  4. reinstall the game
  5. If this doesn't work, please write a report to our feedback tracker.

• How do I report a bug?

All information on how to report a problem with the game can be found here.

• How do I change my in-game name?

You can set your in-game name in the DayZ launcher, under parameters > profile name.

• Is Steam required for DayZ?

Yes, on PC, Steam is required to run DayZ and to browse for servers.

• How do I know if DayZ has received an update?

We will communicate large updates via our social media channels (Facebook, Twitter) and Steam Announcements

• How do I switch between Stable/Experimental versions?

In order to join the Experimental version, you first need to download it. To do that, select the "DayZ Experimental" App from your Xbox / Steam Store and install it.

• Where can I get updated information on DayZ? 

The development team releases status reports that are uploaded across our website Dev Hub, DayZ Twitter and Facebook.

• How can I reach customer support?

You can reach our customer support here. For queries related to purchases made via Steam, please contact Steam's support.

If you want to report bugs or game-related issues, please go to the DayZ Feedback Tracker

If you suspect someone is using hacks, please contact Battleye

Server Hosting & Modding

• With the new engine and beta, will FINALLY the cost to rent a DayZ server be reduced?

Yes. Right now, anyone able to host their own PC servers on their own terms, you can find the DayZ Server Files here.

Additionally, we want to provide a Linux version of the DayZ Server Files, and that should further cut the costs of running a DayZ server. While we don't have direct control over the pricing offered by our selected server providers at the moment, the Linux Server Files should also lead to noticeable cost reductions with these providers.

• When will we get a dedicated server for Brazil? 

We are looking into this option.

• When will DayZ get modding support?

Modding is officially supported for PC. You can download our official toolset and server files via Steam

You can also find already existing user-created mods in the Steam Workshop.

• Will there ever be mods on consoles like there are on PC?

Mods are unlikely to be available on consoles. The path we took is vastly different from a path where we would be able to provide an infrastructure for modding. However, we are improving server side options to further customize the experience on community servers. 

DayZ on Consoles

• On what platforms is DayZ available?

DayZ is available right now for PC, Xbox and PlayStation.

• Is PC your primary platform? 

We are aiming to release our game updates to the live branch at the same time on all platforms.

• Is PC version of the game any different from consoles?

No, PC and consoles have the exactly same content. There are some minor technical differences like the inventory and that console doesn't have a text chat.

• Will there be cross-platform between platforms?

That’s unlikely. While it’s perfectly viable from a technological perspective, we’d rather not mix PC and console players because it would cause a noticeable disbalance in gameplay. The platforms are not only running on different servers, there are some technical hurdles as well (compatible voice chat, reporting functions, etc.)

• How about the frame rates on Xbox One X?

It’s all work in progress, but we’re already peaking at 50-60 FPS in 1080p on Xbox One X, and we plan to support 4K@30 FPS. We’ll see where we end up though!

• Can I play DayZ on the new gen consoles?

Yes! More info can be found on our Dev Hub page. 

• What's the performance like on PS5/Xbox X/S? 

We currently have pretty stable 30 fps on the ps5 and mostly stable 60 fps on the Xbox Series X.

• Will the PS5 framerate be optimized to 60fps? 

Our goal is to increase the frame limit on PS5 in the future.

• Will we get customizable key bindings for consoles? 

This is unlikely to happen.

• The cars are broken on console. Are you working on a fix?

Yes, we are looking into this issue. As it´s very complicated for various reasons, we can´t provide detailed information, but we are aware of the issue and it's being addressed.

• Why does PC have a winter map and consoles don't?

Winter/Snow maps are not a part of our official development. They are all from the modding community. 

• Can we get helicopters and other goods on consoles?

Those are from the modding community and modding is only available on PC. 

• Why is there no Experimental server on PS?

Experimental servers are testing servers, working on one console platform during testing and gathering feedback from one console platform is simply more efficient. Having Experimental servers on PS platform is more difficult, so we prefer to give the PS players the final version of the update.

• Do you plan to add more maps on consoles?

Currently not a focus for upcoming updates. You can see our plan and focus for 2022 here But we would like to continue working on how to offer more tools/functionality for community server admins on consoles.

• VOIP volume is too low on PS5. Is there a fix for that?

We are working on this issue. At this moment, you need to turn the 3D audio OFF in the Playstation settings (it´s ON by default). You can find it under: Settings > Sound > Audio Output. 

DayZ in future updates

• Will the performance of the game be better in the future?

We are working on better game performance and stability with each update.

• Will Ponchos get added to the game?

We can't add full blown ponchos because of their length. It currently isn't possible to have any long clothes in-game, because of clipping through the legs of the character. If we would add any ponchos, it would be just short ones. For example look at the length of the lab coat.

• Are there any underground structures/bunkers/mines/cave systems planned?

No, underground locations are not planned for now. We are missing proper support from the engine side. While there is a way to achieve underground locations even under the current tech (as seen in some older versions of DayZ), they usually have a severe impact on the landscape and visuals (both surroundings and inside).

• How safe are bases? How do you find a middle of getting in to easy or to hard?

No base should be impenetrable. How fast it will be conquered depends on its defense, which can have varying degrees of protection. Even a locked item can be lost if someone makes enough effort to get it.

• What kind of water vehicles will we see? Floating platforms possible? Wooden boats?

A whole set of water vehicles is something we want to do in future, like wooden boats for an example. We are thinking about craftable ones too, but that's really looking at a more long term future. Submarines aren't planned.

• Will there be more crafting options involving improvised weapons? Grenade arrows, flaming arrows, etc?

We'd like to have some form of improvised weapons in the game, but we can't tell you more right now.

• Will the bow ever come back?

The bow is not a priority at the moment. 

• Will it be possible to reanimate a dead body?

No, it won't be possible.

• Do we get a Guitar as a melee weapon and as instrument we can play?

We don't have it in plans now but we would like to have something like this to enrich social interactions.

• What about digging a grave to bury a friend? What about false graves to hide your stash in it?

These are already available in the game.

• Could we get a winter map? Will consoles get new maps?

Both PC and consoles share the same official vanilla maps: Chernarus and Livonia. Any additional maps on PC are purely from our dedicated modding community.

• Why you don´t add bicycles and horses?

There are technical constraints preventing us from doing so, and our current focus is on stabilizing existing vehicles.

Other

• Are you taking any steps against duping?

Yes, we are continuously working on this issue. You also may have noticed that some of the methods are not working anymore. If you suspect someone's duping, please report the person via feedback tracker or DM us on Twitter. 

• I can't see any servers in the server browser.

This might be due to scheduled server maintenance. We announce them on our Facebook and Twitter pages. You can also check our forum.

If it´s past the server maintenance/update and you are still experiencing this issue, you can try restarting the game/console or manually checking for updates.

If the issue persists for more than 6 hours, please contact our customer support  or DM us on Twitter.

• I would love to work for Bohemia Interactive, where can I apply?

You can check our Career page here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Beans 6