d_rohr

Maybe I just suck...

...but I have played for about 90 mins on multiple different lives. Not once have I found a gun or come remotely close to one. I found some ammo & some empty cans but nothing remotely useful. I also find that I am consistently sought out by zombies as I am prone or crouching. I mean, I know they can see but crap...I'm getting murdered...

I read somewhere that zeds will automatically be drawn to a player's location but this is insane...zombies blast through closed doors, which I cannot open afterwards to escape & I cannot escape any that find me in open land. If I am spotted on a field, I feel that I should just go to the prone position & wait until I am able to respawn because I have no hope.

No gun at spawning is a definite hamstring...

Loving the game but feel like I am at a disadvantage for being a noob. I am regretting my purchase...

Certain buildings spawn weapons, others won't spawn any at all.

Take a look at this map and next time you respawn just find a building that spawns military loot near your location.

http://dayzdb.com/map

Anyways, make a quick run on the firehoues in Elektro/Cherno in low populated servers and you should be able to pick up and AK, an M16, or an M1014 shotgun. Office buildings will spawn M1911 and Revolvers as well. Good luck!

Try barns - ones out in the sticks where you'll only get 3-4 zombies max. - for starters. Zombies outside will wander away, sneak in behind them and don't worry about any groans coming from inside. When you're close run in and up the stairs to the top. If you're luck's in you'll find a hatchet and you can dispose of any zombies inside silently. Or you may find some variety of shottie like the Winchester '66 which I've found you can use indoors without attracting any zombies from outside.

i can't recomment going to cherno or electro, follow a street to the north and check out houses on the way. you will easily find a hatchet which is a very good weapon against zombies. it is silent and kills with one hit. next thing you need is some food and some drink and then you are ready to explore the map. better weapons are on the way

Starting from new can be frustrating in deed. But for sure it is not impossible. Playing 90 mins is not long at all, so just have more patience. If you die multiple times in 90 mins, you definitly do something wrong.

There are posts stating "if you dont have a weapon within first 5 min, you are doing sth. wrong". I disagree. It depends on your skill and on the way you play the game.

I normally do things really slow in the game. Zombies are not the threat of Dayz... other players are. You can quite easily go past Zombies. Be aware that go prone is only half the deal... if I want to get safe past a Zombie, I go prone and go slow (short click mouse when go prone fast to switch to slow prone mode) and prefer walking in grass rather than walking on the street or on gravel (louder). If Zombie is facing to you without noticing you yet... go backwards slow, perhaps go crouch and avoid him.

Of course it takes you longer to get you anywhere, but for me... this works out fine.

I dont like spoilers (such as HUD display, Loot Maps and so on), but if you are really desperated... use them to make starting up easier. In general, looting a barn or a deerstand is much easier. There are also big halls in harbors, that may be easier for you as zombies move quite slow in buildings (you can easily outrun them).

...but I have played for about 90 mins on multiple different lives.

I played for 12 full game hours before finding my first weapon. Another 6 after that before working up the nerve to kill my first zombie. Now? I run through cherno, ditch dozens of zombies that are hot on my tail in the MIDDLE of the most populated areas of the game and loot supermarkets/hospitals like a boss. Had over 400 zombie kills in 2 days before a bandit got me(my own fault, didn't change my position after covering a buddy with a sniper as he fought a bandit off). Sneak, crouch low, crawl on your belly, cut sharp corners, use hills when possible(run diagonal up them). Also always remember: THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE IN CHERNO.

...but I have played for about 90 mins on multiple different lives. Not once have I found a gun or come remotely close to one. I found some ammo & some empty cans but nothing remotely useful. I also find that I am consistently sought out by zombies as I am prone or crouching. I mean' date=' I know they can see but crap...I'm getting murdered...

I read somewhere that zeds will automatically be drawn to a player's location but this is insane...zombies blast through closed doors, which I cannot open afterwards to escape & I cannot escape any that find me in open land. If I am spotted on a field, I feel that I should just go to the prone position & wait until I am able to respawn because I have no hope.

No gun at spawning is a definite hamstring...

Loving the game but feel like I am at a disadvantage for being a noob. I am regretting my purchase...

[/quote']

Apparently spawning with a gun wasn't as "challenging" as they liked so this was their solution

Im in the same boat, i spawn i sneak into town i college food scraps, road flares, ammo, no weapons, i get spotted, i run laps of the map i die i respawn i sneak i get spotted......

This vertical learning curve has really butt f**ked the game for any new/respawning players. My advice quit playing and complain on here until they fix it.

Im suggesting they add server difficulty ie spawn with gun on easy like before, spawn with a melee weapon on normal and hard can be a running simulator like it currently is for all the "pros" who spawn "noob" and "man up" to overcompensate for everything in life their lacking

I just bought arma 2 and downloaded dayz myself two days ago.

Now, hear me out: Do you expect to be a pro with 90 minutes of gameplay?

I have four hours, and all the weapons i've ever found were a bunch of hatchets and a double barrel shotgun (One of the reasons i've died).

Keep trying, last try i've had, i found lot of food and water, and i was just an hour into the game. I died because i got sick when i got hit by a zombie, and that pretty much fuc*** me up. Keep trying, and have patience, young one.

Try the big citys. There are several buildings where weapons and other good spawn.

Try the fire department or the church.

Stealth is actually your best weapon. Starting with a gun is problematic as the initial response for new players tends to be shoot it till it stops, which in dayz translates into 'HEY ZOMBIES I'M A BIG TASTY NOOB COME AND EAT MEEEE!' not to mention the bandits who may take one look at you and decided to shoot you in the legs then sit back and eat popcorn while watching you die.

To clarify: Zombies respawn rather quickly so even if you shoot them they will just keep coming with their spaz attacks until you run away and hide.

Check Griff's index of helpful threads at the top of this forum.

Knowledge is power, abuse it well.